Aboriginal human remains reintered

Random older topics of discussion

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

bandit

Aboriginal human remains reintered

Post by bandit »

http://www.abc.net.au/science/news/stor ... tm?ancient

It doesn't say what prompted the removal of the bones, or what research was conducted, but one thing I found interesting, was that jars containing organs were also taken.

Does anyone know what other cultures would seperate the organs from the body for burial? Not including the AEs of course.
marduk

Post by marduk »

the Sumerians definitely didn't
their dead were always buried whole
the only other culture that I can think of that does that as a matter of routine is our own
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3430125.stm
Starflower

Post by Starflower »

I'm not sure from reading the article that the organs were removed before burial.
"People were stealing bodies from graves around Adelaide," she says, adding that many traditional burial mounds were in sand dunes, which made it particularly easy for bodies to be taken.

"Sometimes it was within days or weeks [of burial]," she says. "Worse than that, they were being taken out of the morgue in Adelaide."
It is possible these 'doctors/scientists' placed the organs in jars for study. That was a popular practice during the 19th century. :shock: Kind of ghoulish I know but grave robbing was the only way to study anatomy at that time. And considering the cultural mores of the time they would not have considered aboriginals to be 'real people' so probably had less trouble robbing their burials. Just a thought.
It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
-- Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World

"Give us the timber or we'll go all stupid and lawless on your butts". --Redcloud, MTF
Digit

Post by Digit »

As with the Nazis you have to persuade people that their adversaries are sub human if you want to take over their land, it makes the killings easier to accept than if you are killing fellow humans.
marduk

Post by marduk »

As with the Nazis you have to persuade people that their adversaries are sub human if you want to take over their land, it makes the killings easier to accept than if you are killing fellow humans.
this is especially true of the worlds first civilisation who regarded anyone with their blood as Gods and anyone else as humans and therefore great as slaves
:wink: