On The Tube

Random older topics of discussion

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Tonight on "Digging for the Truth", Josh presents Petra. It's a new episode.
Leona Conner

Post by Leona Conner »

I'm looking forward to it. I went to a lecture a couple of years ago at UT by an archaeologist who was working at Petra. Found out lots of thing I didn't know or had wondered about. Don't know if Josh will tell us anything new, but if the previous shows this season are any indication it will be worth the hour.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Tiwanaku is featured tonight on "Digging for the Truth". I expect the pure orthodox view, but I'm looking forward to seeing this one.

I think it's a repeat, but I haven't seen it before.
Leona Conner

Post by Leona Conner »

It was new. After reading 1491 I was anxious to see if they were going to come up with anything new. They didn't. But it was interesting to at least see the places that I had read about. As usual it was presented in an entertaining way.

One thing it did make me think about is why was the civilization of SA and Mesoamerica so much more advanced than the NA. If, as "the club" states people came over here by way of the Bering land bridge, the people of NA should have been around longer and therefore should have developed to a higher degree. Not well stated I know, but I'm having trouble multi-tasking because I'm watching the Lady Vols.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

I did enjoy Josh nearly drowning himself trying to "prove" that a reed boat could transport a small rock.

I recall the essay...maybe in the Giza thread...which stated that moving 50 one-ton stones is not the same as moving one 50-ton stone. I'd love to see them load one of those 100-ton jobs on a reed boat.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Cognito

The Club

Post by Cognito »

One thing it did make me think about is why was the civilization of SA and Mesoamerica so much more advanced than the NA. If, as "the club" states people came over here by way of the Bering land bridge, the people of NA should have been around longer and therefore should have developed to a higher degree.
The answer: Because it never happened that way. The Bering Land Bridge theory started here:

"In 1590 José de Acosta, a member of the Jesuit brotherhood, published a natural history of the New World that drew on biblical “facts” to prove the existence of such a bridge. Native Americans, he wrote, being descendants of Adam and Eve, must have migrated on foot from the environs of the Garden of Eden eastward to the mountains of Mexico and Peru."
Source: The Last Giant of Beringia: The Mystery of the Bering Land Bridge by Dan O’Neill, Westview Press, 2004.

Don't you think it's time to bury an idea over 400 years old that was first proposed by a member of the Jesuit order with help from the bible? It makes me really wonder about the profession at times. :roll:
Natural selection favors the paranoid
Forum Monk

Post by Forum Monk »

Well, Cogs maybe you can explain what really happened. If not Berengia, how did they get here, where are they from and when did they come?

:?
Digit

Post by Digit »

That's not fair Cogs, even Bush and Blair manage to get some things right.
DNA studies show that people from Asia did reach NA, perhaps by sea, perhaps by land, perhaps by both methods.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Don't you think it's time to bury an idea over 400 years old that was first proposed by a member of the Jesuit order with help from the bible?

Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Leona Conner

Re: The Club

Post by Leona Conner »

Cognito wrote:
One thing it did make me think about is why was the civilization of SA and Mesoamerica so much more advanced than the NA. If, as "the club" states people came over here by way of the Bering land bridge, the people of NA should have been around longer and therefore should have developed to a higher degree.
The answer: Because it never happened that way. The Bering Land Bridge theory started here:

"In 1590 José de Acosta, a member of the Jesuit brotherhood, published a natural history of the New World that drew on biblical “facts” to prove the existence of such a bridge. Native Americans, he wrote, being descendants of Adam and Eve, must have migrated on foot from the environs of the Garden of Eden eastward to the mountains of Mexico and Peru."
Source: The Last Giant of Beringia: The Mystery of the Bering Land Bridge by Dan O’Neill, Westview Press, 2004.

Don't you think it's time to bury an idea over 400 years old that was first proposed by a member of the Jesuit order with help from the bible? It makes me really wonder about the profession at times. :roll:
That's the point I'm getting at. If they did come by way of Beringia, how come the earliest sites aren't in NA. Obvisously they didn't get to central Mexico in just a couple of years, yet Teotihucan is about 900 years older than Cahokia. Tiahuanaco in Bolivia is somewhere around 400 years older. Plus these cities are far more, I don't want to use the word sophisticated but that's the only one that comes to mind, than anything in NA. Granted Chaco Canyon is truly magnificent, but it lacks the ornaments and such you see on the pyramids of Central and South America. It makes me wonder if people didn't get to the south first and then head north. :?

I'm sure that will get me in trouble with someone from "The Club"
Forum Monk

Post by Forum Monk »

According to the Berengia, theory, there was event taking place called an "ice age". I woulda headed south too.
:)
Digit

Post by Digit »

Beringia is too simplistic on its own to offer an easy explanation for the age and cultural differences. The simplist solution involves a number of different incursions rather than a single migration route.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Forum Monk wrote:According to the Berengia, theory, there was event taking place called an "ice age". I woulda headed south too.
:)

But....would you have headed north first? Because in order to get to Beringia you have to go north before you can go south.

-- George Carlin
Digit

Post by Digit »

The usual explanation Min is that they followed the their prey.
That simply moves the question along one pace, why would the prey be moving north?
Maschistic Mammoths?
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Birds fly north and south......

-- George Carlin