Early American Indians

Random older topics of discussion

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Digit

Post by Digit »

All in the name of 'progress', the government's, 'we know what's better for you than you do!'
Blair is a fully signed up card carrying member!
Forum Monk

Post by Forum Monk »

ravenwing5910 wrote:In my opinion the epidemic of Diabetes especially among the Hopi had been caused directly (and probably intentionally) by the US government. Dammed the river, thus destroying the ecosystem that supported the local tribes, then build a DMII research facility right there as the tribes are handed government cheese for their new diet!!!!!!!

Tell me that wasn't intentional. (soap box)
Come on R/W. You think the government intentionally did this, so are you implying there is some plot to destroy the health of Native Americans in the Pacific N.W.? I guess the BIA has a clandestine sub-committee thinking up new ways to ruin their lives because they are such a problem for the country. Give me a break.

Don't get me wrong. I also believe they are one of the least understood, maligned, and mistreated cultural groups in the U.S. But I don't think there is a government conspiracy.

:?
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

ravenwing5910 wrote:
Beagle wrote: The Native Americans have an epidemic of diabetes that has been going on most of my life I think.]

Oh, you probably will regret getting me started on the Native American issues. In my opinion the epidemic of Diabetes especially among the Hopi had been caused directly (and probably intentionally) by the US government. Dammed the river, thus destroying the ecosystem that supported the local tribes, then build a DMII research facility right there as the tribes are handed government cheese for their new diet!!!!!!!

Tell me that wasn't intentional. (soap box)

:twisted:
Nothing wrong with a soap box Raven. The only thing I know about the issue is that feelings run high out there about many things regarding Native Americans and government intervention.

I'm certain however that the transition to a modern diet in only a little over 100 years has been devastating to their health.
Digit

Post by Digit »

In what manner Beag has the diet of say, the plains tribes, changed?
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Less buffalo...more McDonalds.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Digit

Post by Digit »

I knew I could rely on you Min! :lol:
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Less buffalo...more McDonalds.
Actually, that's true. But look at what's in a big Mac. The meat is ok although the beef has been injected with antibiotics, steroids, and other chemicals. The bread is not whole grain but made from refined flour (that's another story, I never eat white bread), there is cheese, etc. But there is a lot of added sugar. Refined sugar. A hunter gatherer society is only used to simple sugars, and a few complex carbohydrates in their diet.

This "sugar overload" is a shock to the system and the bodies' ability to maintain proper blood sugar levels. This insult to the carbohydrate metabolism results in adult onset diabetes.

Caucasians are deveping diabetes at an alarming rate, but it is more epidemic in Native Americans.
Digit

Post by Digit »

Some of the tribes were agrarian though wern't they Beag, how have they faired?
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Most of those tended to be in the East.

They were simply exterminated.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Cognito

McDonald's vs. Native Americans

Post by Cognito »

But look at what's in a big Mac. The meat is ok although the beef has been injected with antibiotics, steroids, and other chemicals. The bread is not whole grain but made from refined flour (that's another story, I never eat white bread), there is cheese, etc. But there is a lot of added sugar. Refined sugar. A hunter gatherer society is only used to simple sugars, and a few complex carbohydrates in their diet.

This "sugar overload" is a shock to the system and the bodies' ability to maintain proper blood sugar levels. This insult to the carbohydrate metabolism results in adult onset diabetes.

Caucasians are deveping diabetes at an alarming rate, but it is more epidemic in Native Americans.
Don't overlook the fat content in a Big Mac vs. range Buffalo. In addition, Bovine Growth Hormone permeates the cow and shows up in dairy products as well as others. So that little Native American kid will grow up to be fatter quicker. Of course, that will help with the onset of diabetes later when he's overweight and constantly sending his pancreas into the Red Zone while trying to deal with all the processed crap running through his system. :shock:

Now, where are those twinkies? :D
Natural selection favors the paranoid
Forum Monk

Post by Forum Monk »

IMO, you are all missing the point. Yes, the food is bad and we all eat it. But no one is forcing the native maericans to eat McDonalds. Government cheese was handed out to welfare receipients of all races and creeds if I recall well. R/W was saying that somehow the government's intention was to give Native Americans diabetes or health problems. If there's any conspiracy at all, its by the food industry, to crank out the cheapest form of empty calories as possible and charge the highest price the public is willing to pay.

:evil:
ravenwing5910

Post by ravenwing5910 »

[/quote]

[Come on R/W. You think the government intentionally did this, so are you implying there is some plot to destroy the health of Native Americans in the Pacific N.W.? I guess the BIA has a clandestine sub-committee thinking up new ways to ruin their lives because they are such a problem for the country. Give me a break.

Don't get me wrong. I also believe they are one of the least understood, maligned, and mistreated cultural groups in the U.S. But I don't think there is a government conspiracy.] :?[/quote]

No, I don't think there IS a plot to destroy the Native Americans of any region of the US. I do think that there WERE plans and actions taken to destroy the aboriginal peoples of this country, ie: slaughter of the American Bison, the intentional spread of small pox, destruction of the languages/cultures, multiple massacre..... and on and on and on.....
But what happened in the 4-corners area was a (in my opinion) was an opportunity taken by the government in place at the time. To create a living lab to study the causes and effects of DMII. A people free of the conditions of obesity and DMII, were subjected to conditions that promoted the development of these disease's..

This is just one of many of my little soap boxes. 8)
marduk

Post by marduk »

for that to be true you would have to have fast food in on the conspiracy
and to tell the truth I don't see Ronald McDonald as a government agent
I think all they care about is the money
All I care about is the value meals
:lol:
ravenwing5910

Post by ravenwing5910 »

marduk wrote:for that to be true you would have to have fast food in on the conspiracy]

Fast food is not the lonely culprit in obesity and DMII, However today they are probably the largest contributors. I don't know how long the UK has had fast food, (I understand fish and chips have been around for a while). but here in the US it didn't show up till around the mid 50's and it wasn't untill the 70's that it really took off to the point that it is now on every corner.

And I kinda like conspiricy theories, their fun, want to talk about the moon trip? 8) we'd probably need a new forum, unless we can connect it to the subject of archaeology. lol
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

DMII
Hmmm...we'll have to have a private conversation sometime. :wink: