Volcano !

Random older topics of discussion

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Cognito

Holy Schmoly!

Post by Cognito »

I wonder how those minoan sailors felt when they approached the smoking rim of what was once their homeland?
Probably like dog crap on reheat. Min, you have an icon for that? :?
Natural selection favors the paranoid
Digit

Post by Digit »

Knowing Min I'll place a bet on it Cog!
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

I don't know about the "re-heat" part but

dog shit is easy.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news ... lcano.html
Egyptian archaeologists today announced that they have unearthed traces of solidified lava on the northern coast of Sinai that date to around 1500 B.C.—supporting accounts that ancient Egyptian settlements were buried by a massive volcanic eruption in the Mediterranean, they say.

The archaeological team, led by Mohamed Abdel Maqsoud of Egypt's Supreme Council for Antiquities, found houses, military structures, and tombs encased in ash, along with fragments of pumice, near the ancient Egyptian fortress of Tharo, on the Horus military road. Tharo is located close to El Qantara, where the Nile Delta meets the Sinai peninsula
There is evidence that the Santorini explosion caused much more damage to Egypt than what was thought. Hawass goes too far though I think.

The Daily Grail.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

One would have to define "around 1,500 BC" as including 1,625 BC...which seems to be a fairly big margin or error.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Forum Monk

Post by Forum Monk »

How did lava from Santorini, end up in Sinai?

Hmmmm

I recall a story about a group of shepherds leaving egypt around that time. I think Min remebers them.
:wink:
Digit

Post by Digit »

Now now Monk! :lol:
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

:D

Right ...and instead of carrying gold and jewels they said..."screw the riches...let's carry LAVA!"

-- George Carlin
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

http://www.nature.com/news/2007/070702/ ... 02-15.html
A stash of ancient tools in India hints that life carried on as usual for humans living in the fall-out of a massive volcanic eruption 74,000 years ago.

Michael Petraglia, from the University of Cambridge, UK, and his colleagues found the stone tools at a site called Jwalapuram, in Andhra Pradesh, southern India, above and below a thick layer of ash from the eruption of the Toba volcano in Indonesia — an event known as the Youngest Toba Tuff eruption.
Tools have been discovered in India suggesting that humans survived the Toba eruption. Also the scientists are trying to figure out who these guys were. Time to redo that migration chart.....again.
Cognito

OOA

Post by Cognito »

Tools have been discovered in India suggesting that humans survived the Toba eruption. Also the scientists are trying to figure out who these guys were. Time to redo that migration chart.....again.
Interesting, Beags ... Out of Africa goes back to the drawing boards. Neanderthals survived Toba, H. erectus remains have been found in Java dated between 27K and 53K years ago, post Toba. The reality appears to be far more complex than than the replacement theory supposes. 8)
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

humans living in the fall-out of a massive volcanic eruption 74,000 years ago.

Wait. I thought the geneticists said that everyone east of the Great Rift Valley was killed by that blast?

Who ever could still be making tools?

-- George Carlin
Rokcet Scientist

Post by Rokcet Scientist »

Minimalist wrote:
humans living in the fall-out of a massive volcanic eruption 74,000 years ago.

Wait. I thought the geneticists said that everyone east of the Great Rift Valley was killed by that blast?

Everyone west of the Great Rift Valley?
Cognito

Post by Cognito »

Makes a mess out of current theory, doesn't it. Makes me want to LMAO, thanks Beags! :twisted:
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Everyone west of the Great Rift Valley?

Apparently, there weren't any. Certainly there wasn't anybody making hand axes in North America!

-- George Carlin
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Cognito wrote:

Makes a mess out of current theory, doesn't it. Makes me want to LMAO, thanks Beags! :twisted:

I thought that theory was horseshit the first time I heard it. How come the Neanderthals had no trouble surviving that one?

-- George Carlin