Random older topics of discussion

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

marduk

Marduks movie corner

Post by marduk »

Forum Monk

Post by Forum Monk »

Come on Marduk,
Now you're making me install Quicktime to see this. It better be worth it.
QT is designed for Apple, hijacks your email inbox, always wants you to upgrade to their $30 version, and crunches my all ready limited Windows performance, the zipped download is 19mb, bigger than some of Min's movies. Something else to uninstall later.

:evil:
MichelleH
Site Admin

Post by MichelleH »

I've got plans to see it in IMAX
We've Got Fossils - We win ~ Lewis Black

Red meat, cheese, tobacco, and liquor...it works for me ~ Anthony Bourdain

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.
Keyvanrahmadi

Post by Keyvanrahmadi »

MichelleH wrote:I've got plans to see it in IMAX
Only if they would show it here in IMAX format, i would be there 24/7..

But i have been waiting for this film for what it seems forever. although it shows us the persions losing, but we lost to Spartans..

now thats what i call loosing :)
marduk

Post by marduk »

but we lost to Spartans
actually the Persians won
They lost 50,000 troops
Sparta lost 300 troops

so sorry to say you can console yourself for losing to the spartans by the fact that you beat them

mind you
I think its a bit rich you claiming to be Persian because youre from modern Iran :roll:

that would be like me claiming that I beat the Romans because I'm from Essex
:lol:
Forum Monk

Post by Forum Monk »

No stranger than Saddam Hussein thinking he was Nebuchadnezzar. Tried to bring Babylon back to its former glory, except with chemical weapons instead of spears and swords.

:wink:
Keyvanrahmadi

Post by Keyvanrahmadi »

marduk wrote:
but we lost to Spartans
actually the Persians won
They lost 50,000 troops
Sparta lost 300 troops

so sorry to say you can console yourself for losing to the spartans by the fact that you beat them

mind you
I think its a bit rich you claiming to be Persian because youre from modern Iran :roll:

that would be like me claiming that I beat the Romans because I'm from Essex
Well actually they might have won the fight, but they were never able to achieve the goal and invade greek main land. The name change from Perisa to Iran actually a recent thing, it was voted by Reza Shah Pahlavi from Pahlavi dynesty and passed through Majles(house of common). I can dig up the date if you need to be exact.
marduk

Post by marduk »

maybe while youre at it you could dig up the area covered by the persian empire and then compare it to Iran
Keyvanrahmadi

Post by Keyvanrahmadi »

marduk wrote:maybe while youre at it you could dig up the area covered by the persian empire and then compare it to Iran
If that was a serious request i will be able to :P Although that said, the area covered changed dramatically, depending on who was sitting on the golden throne.
marduk

Post by marduk »

here its ok i did it for you
heres the Persian Empire around 500bce
and heres Iran today
oops
marduk

Post by marduk »

this is the site that a friend sent me the other day
http://wwws.warnerbros.co.uk/300/
AWESOME
I have the smell of blood in my nostrils
somebody fetch my sword please
I won't be needing the armour today
:twisted:
Keyvanrahmadi

Post by Keyvanrahmadi »

marduk wrote:here its ok i did it for you
heres the Persian Empire around 500bce
and heres Iran today
oops
I think you are confusing the issue. You are suggesting that Word Persian should only be used when discussing the Empire, so since the empire no longer is around, then me calling myself persian is actually incorrect. Although i have to edmit i have no problem being called Iranian, i personally prefer to be called persian.

The debate on the name change is very long and tedious, and both side have some very valid points. The name "Persia" until 1935 was the "official" name of Iran in the world, but Persian people inside their country since the Sassanid period have called it "Iran" meaning "the land of Aryans", the older version of which had been "Aryānām" (the genitive plural of the word Aryan, a cognate form of which is seen in "Airyanem Vaejah" ) as seen in ancient Persian texts.

As matter of fact, winston churchhill ordered the use of word "Persia" in all official documents during WW2, so it dosen't get confused with IRAQ. After some Persian scholars protested the name changing announcement, in 1959 Prof. Ehsan Yarshater formed a committee to look into this matter. The committee announced that "changing the name is not justified", so Mohammad Reza Shah announced that both 'Persia' and 'Iran' could be used interchangeably, although i have to edmit the last part i am not quite sure about. Wiki has more info on it, and i do have some books which i can try to translate and put up here, when get a chance if you want.
marduk

Post by marduk »

i understand that Kevin and I'm not having a pop at you because in all honesty i prefer Iranians to europeans
but I think I should point out that we are now talking about this because you claimed that your Persian countrymen lost to the spartans
so whether or not Iran was ever called Persia after that is kinda irrelevant
oh and by the way
I did beat the romans because I'm from Essex
Keyvanrahmadi

Post by Keyvanrahmadi »

marduk wrote:i understand that Kevin and I'm not having a pop at you because in all honesty i prefer Iranians to europeans
but I think I should point out that we are now talking about this because you claimed that your Persian countrymen lost to the spartans
so whether or not Iran was ever called Persia after that is kinda irrelevant
oh and by the way
I did beat the romans because I'm from Essex
you called me Kevin... that means war :evil:
Forum Monk

Post by Forum Monk »

War!
I want to sit up close to the front so as not to miss any of the bloodshed.
:twisted:

(someone bring the popcorn)