Sodom expedition- Biblical nuts sign up here

Random older topics of discussion

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Beats the hell out of me....

I probably don't help when I tell him that anyone who believes in the godman is guilty in my book.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Digit

Post by Digit »

Depends on how you define a religion Steve.
Forum Monk

Post by Forum Monk »

Digit. In the US certain people are absolutely fanatical about prohibiting any displays of a religious nature in any place that receives governement funding. It is seen as a governmental endorsement of religion. As a result, Christmas displays, menorahs, ten commands, etc are banned in courthouses, most public schools, government offices, parks, and generally any govenrment property.

What about the UK? Have you purged all religious symbols from public consciousness, or are people less hung up about it?
marduk

Post by marduk »

we don't care about religion to tell the truth
we don't have many religious zealots over here FM
the ones we do have are generally objects of ridicule
having a religion founded on a Kings desire for a quickie divorce will do that to a country
:lol:
Keyvanrahmadi

Post by Keyvanrahmadi »

marduk wrote:we don't care about religion to tell the truth
we don't have many religious zealots over here FM
the ones we do have are generally objects of ridicule
having a religion founded on a Kings desire for a quickie divorce will do that to a country
I am religious, no no honestly i am.. my mum told me and i have a card to prove it :wink:
Forum Monk

Post by Forum Monk »

Keyvanrahmadi wrote:I am religious, no no honestly i am.. my mum told me and i have a card to prove it :wink:
I hate to break it to you, Keyvan, the YMCA is not a church.

Digit

Post by Digit »

Marduk obviously reads different newspapers to me Monk. He doesn't care for religion, but latest reports indicate a rise in CofE church and RC church attendances.
Yes we have our anti-religious zealots in public places as well who ban 'Christmas' carols and want everybody to celebrate 'winter' instead. and Blair claims to be CofE is married to a RC and carries a Quran with him as well, so make up your own mind.
Currently our Moslem community has problems with some of its own zealots as well.
The daft thing to me is the stand that Marduk and others make about being anti-religious but would probably fight tooth and nail if we were to lose some of the basic ideas of western culture that are firmly based on Christian principles.
Our legal system, like yours, has a Christian base, whether we want it so or not.
marduk

Post by marduk »

The daft thing to me is the stand that Marduk and others make about being anti-religious but would probably fight tooth and nail if we were to lose some of the basic ideas of western culture that are firmly based on Christian principles.
like what ?
being a slave to an invisible guy in the sky
or practicing symbolic cannabalism in a church

you seem to think our country is based on a religious ideal
maybe you should go back and read the magna carta again
it guarantees a division between church and state
and has been in force for almost 800 years

Religion plays no part in modern english life
none at all

you don't need to be religious to get Married
you don't need to be religious to own a business
you don't need religion to have children
etc
etc

just what ways do you think it affects you Digit ?
how much money are they taking out of your wages to give to the church thesedays ?

anyway
didn't you say you had a Jewish upbringing ?
Judaism believe it or not was never the state religion in the country that I live in
so how would you know anyway
:wink:
Forum Monk

Post by Forum Monk »

marduk wrote:maybe you should go back and read the magna carta again
it guarantees a division between church and state
and has been in force for almost 800 years
The magna carta, like the US bill of rights was originally intended to keep government out of the affairs of the church or to prevent the government from mandating a religion by law.

Its can never work the other way, where the church is banned from govenment. There's no screening that asks, what religion are you, when you apply for a government job. And the various religions never cease trying to influence the government. Separation of church and state is a one-way proposition.

8)
Digit

Post by Digit »

Some guarantee Marduk when the head of state is the chief officer of the established church is it not?
Show me where I claimed Judaism was a state religion here.
Magna Carta also guarantees that you cannot be fined without a trial, try that argument next time you a get a parking fine for example.
The point I was trying to make clear to you is this. Take a look at a country that has Islam as its state religion, for example, and then stand back and look at a country that has Christianity as its state religion and tell me you can see no differences.
This from someone raised as a Jew as well so I cannot claim any bias there can I?
marduk

Post by marduk »

Magna Carta also guarantees that you cannot be fined without a trial, try that argument next time you a get a parking fine for example.
legally you are allowed to dispute a parking fine
you do this in a court
ignorance of the law Digit is not an excuse as they say
This from someone raised as a Jew as well so I cannot claim any bias there can I?
so you're saying that because of your Jewish background you show no bias towards Islam
thats a new one on me
does this mean that in general people with an Islamic background show no bias to Judaism
so therefore people of a Christian background should not be opposed to Hindus ?
or is it Buddhists ?

and what is yom kippur anyway
i've wanted to know that for ages
Digit

Post by Digit »

You can dispute the fine in court yes. That of course does not alter the fact that under Magna Carta you should not have to, stop straw splitting.
It also seems that what you paid for your mind reading lessons was again wasted, I have nothing against Islam, neither Hinduism, Christianity, Judaism, Shintoism, Bhuddism or any other creed.
Some of the people that CLAIM to practise those religions I DEFINITELY don't like.
Spot the difference?
marduk

Post by marduk »

digit wrote:Magna Carta also guarantees that you cannot be fined without a trial, try that argument next time you a get a parking fine for example.
marduk wrote:legally you are allowed to dispute a parking fine
you do this in a court
digit wrote:You can dispute the fine in court yes. That of course does not alter the fact that under Magna Carta you should not have to, stop straw splitting.

how do you call that hair splitting
you can't be fined for parking without a trial if you don't want to
as a free man you are allowed to give up your freedom at any time
that is not hair splitting
its freedom
get used to it

It also seems that what you paid for your mind reading lessons was again wasted, I have nothing against Islam, neither Hinduism, Christianity, Judaism, Shintoism, Bhuddism or any other creed.
now please quote where I said you did
mind reading aside just simple reading is quite helpful in a typed discussion Digit
comprehension is of course sometimes too much to ask for
Digit

Post by Digit »

Not when the government applies a fixed penalty that should not under Magna Carta be applied in the first place it's not. Offering you the chance of going to court is a cop out, if we all elected to do that the courts would grind to a halt.
Your idea of freedom is obviously different to mine.
Are you aware that under EU law in this country no MEP, nor member of their family, nor their employees or agents, can be tried in court unless they agree?
Freedom did you say?
marduk

Post by marduk »

no MEP, nor member of their family, nor their employees or agents, can be tried in court unless they agree?
I didn't know that
can you provide a link ?