Ancient Egyption science

Random older topics of discussion

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Nebankh

Post by Nebankh »

Forum Monk asked:
If the writing was on the wall and no one could read except the priviledged, then why go to the trouble of encoding knowledge of PI, or show knowledge of planetary orbits in ratios of the size of objects in egyptian art or why encode knowledge of precession in the physical design of the pyramids or any of the other mystical and often ridiculous claims made by people?
You must remember that many people who write about Ancient Egypt are coming from a background that is totally unfamiliar with the types of 'religious' or cosmological concepts they are researching. They see what they want to see, or as much as they are capable of seeing, no matter how many years they study the subject.

That the AE encoded Pi, or knowledge of planetary orbits or knowledge of precession is the kind of thing usually raised by either pseudo egyptologists who WANT to find such complexities in use by the AE in a manner they personally recognise, or by people who have not studied Ancient Egypt remotely and come out with ridiculous suggestions that anyone who has read even half a dozen books on Ancient Egypt would be able to counter.

Yet look at some of the bizarre cosmological systems that have been accepted by science in the last thousand years. If the AE believed certain things at a certain time, they were quite capable of incorporating such ideas into their designs

The Ancient Egyptians had a complex set of mythological texts, and a good Egyptologist will tell you that there is a lot of speculation involved in what has been written and what is still taught about Ancient Egypt. Add to that, that we are talking about a period that covered several millennia, with all of the external influences on the culture etc. and you will see why there are further complications when studying Ancuent Egypt.

Just to give you an example to get your head around the period being covered - I think the most fascinating person in Ancient Egyptian history was one of the sons of Ramesses II. He was not a military Prince, he went into the priesthood and was a renowned scribe, Sem priest and a skilled magician (in the AE sense of the word). He also is credited as the first Egyptologist, because he restored several old temples and pyramid complexes. When he went to see the pyramids, (around 1250 BC or so) they were already thousands of years old.

He revived a lot of 'ancient' customs in his own lifetime - and by the time he revived them, his versions were unlikely to have been identical to those of the Old Kingdom due to the vast amount of time that had passed.

Jaq
kbs2244

Post by kbs2244 »

O K Monk, I will take the bait.
And the answer is "I don't know"
But it seems something had to happen to cause a real Earth wide dispersion. The Bible says The Tower of Babel, (built by 3rd,4th, or 5th generation Flood survivors).
I think I have read about a meteor hit in that area about that time.
Flood, Famine, Falling Stars?
What ever it was, a lot of them seen to have walked, rode, or sailed as far as they could go, and then set up camp imitating what they left behind.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

The Bible says The Tower of Babel
The bible says lots of things that cannot be substantiated by history or archaeology.

Nonetheless, we have a fairly detailed historical record of 3'd millenium Egypt and they pretty much kept doing what they did from 3,000 to 2,000 BC without any sort of break where the whole population drowned.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Forum Monk

Post by Forum Monk »

kbs2244 wrote:O K Monk, I will take the bait.
And the answer is "I don't know"
But it seems something had to happen to cause a real Earth wide dispersion. The Bible says The Tower of Babel, (built by 3rd,4th, or 5th generation Flood survivors).
I think I have read about a meteor hit in that area about that time.
Flood, Famine, Falling Stars?
What ever it was, a lot of them seen to have walked, rode, or sailed as far as they could go, and then set up camp imitating what they left behind.
I'm not trying to bait you KB, so I appreciate the answer. I have seen several studies in the past of a catastrophe which must of occured some time around 3000-2500bce. I still have a copy of one article in particular that discussed some sort of upheaval which had far reaching effects around the world. I was hoping you found new information. Later, I will post some of what I have. Perhaps if I find enough info, it would make a worthwhile discussion on a new thread.
Digit

Post by Digit »

There has to have been something Monk, it can't just be coincidence that so many peoples tell similar stories surely?
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Even Hancock's Ice Age meltdown would seem hard pressed to explain that.

However, if there were scattered groups of survivors from some sort of catastrophe it might explain much.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin