Superwave Theory

Random older topics of discussion

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Cognito

Superwave Theory

Post by Cognito »

Paul LaViolette, PhD has spent years developing his Superwave Theory wherein our galactic center periodically sends out gamma ray bursts preceeded by a gravitational "bow-wave". These references are posted here as a result of his book Earth Under Fire, 2005, Bear & Company, Rochester, Vermont. In the book he theorizes that the North American megafaunal extinction resulted from such an event.

http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/esp_g ... wave02.htm
http://home.earthlink.net/~gravitics/Starburst.html

With regard to the Mayan 2012 extinction date I believe that is total crap. However, the science behind his theories is interesting, especially the explanation of the December 26, 2004 Indonesian quake. 8)
Natural selection favors the paranoid
Charlie Hatchett

Re: Superwave Theory

Post by Charlie Hatchett »

Cognito wrote:Paul LaViolette, PhD has spent years developing his Superwave Theory wherein our galactic center periodically sends out gamma ray bursts preceeded by a gravitational "bow-wave". These references are posted here as a result of his book Earth Under Fire, 2005, Bear & Company, Rochester, Vermont. In the book he theorizes that the North American megafaunal extinction resulted from such an event.

http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/esp_g ... wave02.htm
http://home.earthlink.net/~gravitics/Starburst.html

With regard to the Mayan 2012 extinction date I believe that is total crap. However, the science behind his theories is interesting, especially the explanation of the December 26, 2004 Indonesian quake. 8)

Sounds somewhat similar to Firestone's supernova explosion theory. Could they they interrelate? :?

Firestone, R., A. West, and S. Warwick-Smith, 2006, THE CYCLE OF COSMIC CATASTROPHES: FLOOD, FIRE, AND FAMINE IN THE HISTORY OF CIVILIZATION, Bear Company, Rochester, Vermont, 392 pp, ISBN 10:1-59143-061-5.
Charlie Hatchett

PreClovis Artifacts from Central Texas
www.preclovis.com
http://forum.preclovis.com
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

That's a lot to chew on Cogs. And I'm still chewing. However the notion that we are connected to, and are effected by the larger universe around us only makes sense.

Translating that notion into a specific event like the megafaunal extinction is what I'm trying to grasp at the moment. I'm not there yet but will come back with a later post when I've looked at it some more.
ravenwing5910

Re: Superwave Theory

Post by ravenwing5910 »

Cognito wrote:With regard to the Mayan 2012 extinction date I believe that is total crap. ...... 8)

Doesn't the Mayan calander translate 2012 as the end of the "cycle". I keep hearing people refer to this as the end of the world, and the "extinction". But as I understand the translation it would not indicate anything of the sort, but a transition into a renewed cycle, perhaps the calander simply starting over? Could you explain to me how this has turned into the end of the world? :?
Forum Monk

Post by Forum Monk »

This guy LaViolette seems to be associated with a lot of whacko-type links and references. By this, I mean, he is not referenced on traditional science and educational websites but seems to be the golden boy of every catastrophe theorist on the web. Further it is strange to me the theory predictions and confirmations were both supplied by LaViolette himself. Where is independent or peer confirmation of these predictions?

I suggest caution in embracing these theories until others have reviewed his data.
Cognito

Theories

Post by Cognito »

Further it is strange to me the theory predictions and confirmations were both supplied by LaViolette himself. Where is independent or peer confirmation of these predictions?
Maybe he's just making a play for attention. Firestone at least has peer review while LaViolette seems to be on the whacko fringe. However, some of the science he is expounding does have merit from an astrophysical standpoint. He is correct that a large gamma burst will create an electromagnetic pulse (EMP) and will remove ozone protection. Also, his explanation that a gravitational wave will preceed a gamma burst appears to be correct. He sure runs in some strange, apocolyptic circles though. :shock:

Raven, I believe the end of the Mayan cycle in 2012 means just that; the end of one cycle and beginning of another ... somewhat like Y2K. Nothing dastardly happened at that point either.
ravenwing5910

Post by ravenwing5910 »

Cog, I had a feeling you, like me saw the end of the mayan calandar as being just that, the end of a cycle. I was curious about how all these other people that like to get on tv and in the news, got the idea that it meant the end of the world. Oh by the way did you hear the one about Shoemaker being assasinated because he knew there was an asteroid going to hit us in 2012? My nephew told me this one, I haven't been able to find anything on it on the internet. :lol:
Cognito

Supernova

Post by Cognito »

Monk, here is a more orthodox reference to supernova-induced chaos in our immediate neighborhood:

http://www.lbl.gov/Science-Articles/Arc ... ction.html

Raven, I have respect for the Mayas' mathematics, ability to create an accurate calendar, and record events ... but there certainly wasn't any arcane knowledge bestowing upon them the ability to foresee the future. As for me, I will likely be preparing for another Christmas on 21 December 2012, just like any other year. By the way, if the world does come to an end, who gets the presents? :D

It amazes me that people believe yet once again that we are in the "end days" and the Mayan calendrical cycle ties into that irrational belief. As Monk pointed out elsewhere we are really playing a game of celestial pinball with meteors that one day will result in our demise. I am far more concerned about that, as well as supernova shock waves, as opposed to the Mayan calendar. As our understanding of the universe around us grows, it is becoming apparent that the part of the galaxy we live in isn't always that safe, and I'm not counting on the RAPTURE to bail me out! :roll:
Essan

Post by Essan »

LaViolette's theory is interesting and I can't comment on the 'superwave' elements of it, but the geological evidence he uses to support his contention is at time rather flawed.

For example, he uses evidence of forest fires having raged in various parts of the world c11,500 years ago (or whatever date it is ;) ) as evidence .... yet on that basis I can prove that we were hit by a 'superwave' last year as well.

And I'm always wary of anyone who thinks the mammoths all died out overnight .... :lol:
Cognito

Gamma-ray bursts

Post by Cognito »

Firestone et al proposes two recent supernova gamma-ray bursts, one at 40,000bp and another at 13,000bp. Abstract:

http://www.clovisinthesoutheast.net/firestone.html

Where he gives me heartache is in his recent book The Cycle of Cosmic Catastrophes, 2006, Rochester, Vermont, wherein he maintains that these events led to human mutations resulting in the Caucasian-Asian genetic split and the "big brain" gene, microcephalin. We could only hope that mutations would be so universally beneficial! :roll: