The Cycle of Cosmic Catastrophes: Flood, Fire, and Famine

Random older topics of discussion

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Charlie Hatchett wrote:Image

Black Mat at the Murray Springs site, Arizona; the Black Mat covers the Clovis occupation surface

Photo Courtesy of the Center for the Study of the First Americans
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Younger_Dryas_impact_event
The evidence for such an impact event is a layer of unusual materials (magnetic grains, spherules, charcoal, soot, fullerenes, etc.) at the very bottom of the "black mat" of organic material that marks the beginning of the Younger Dryas.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Minimalist wrote:Today's news release:

http://www.newswise.com/articles/view/530208/
“This was a massive continental scale, if not global, event,” Kennett said. He and Erlandson say that they are currently evaluating the existing Paleo-Indian archaeological datasets, which Kennett describes as “suggestive of significant population reduction and fragmentation, but additional work is necessary to test this hypothesis further.” Earlier research efforts need to be re-evaluated using new technologies that can narrow radiocarbon date ranges, and, as funding becomes available, new sites can be located and studied, Erlandson said.

“As we have grown more confident in the theory,” Erlandson said, “we’ve been letting some of it out in informal talks to gage the response to see where we are headed and what the initial objections are, which will help us to maintain our own objectivity.”

BTW, Arch is already having a shit fit over this. Claims it is less plausible than his bible account!

Expect Fundies everywhere to take up the challenge!!
I've never seen anything go from a fringe theory to (almost) accepted fact so fast. You're gonna have to give Arch a good while to get over this. :lol:
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Arch will never learn.

He's taken such a beating over at Kokobridge that he has run for the hills.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Forum Monk

Post by Forum Monk »

Is there any clues given in the articlesabout how long these extinction events took? One year? Three years? One hundred years?
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Probably depended on how close you were to Ground Zero.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Charlie Hatchett

Post by Charlie Hatchett »

Minimalist wrote:Probably depended on how close you were to Ground Zero.
In your neck of the woods, Monk, would have been Ground Zero, according to the researchers. Can you imagine... :shock:

Charlie Hatchett

PreClovis Artifacts from Central Texas
www.preclovis.com
http://forum.preclovis.com
Cognito

Post by Cognito »

Is there any clues given in the articlesabout how long these extinction events took? One year? Three years? One hundred years?
Monk, I recommend that you read Firestone's book. Based on what he is outlining the extinctions were rather quick. Many of the megafauna and humans who survived the initial events died within months from radiation complications. Those who lived longer than that had to deal with a ruined environment and many starved to death. Their world turned to crap and the extinctions were likely complete within a year or so. :shock:

I am not certain that the extinctions happened that way, but that is the story told in the book. Gradualism in the scenario seems to be DOA. When the climate trigger switched during the Younger Dryas it was only a matter of years, but megafauna survived rapid climate fluctuations before. What made this different? :?
Natural selection favors the paranoid
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

http://www.redorbit.com/news/space/9466 ... ce=r_space

They also found high levels of iridium and titanium, a special form of carbon molecules known as fullerenes that had helium atoms trapped inside, and microscopic diamonds called nanodiamonds. They also found strange rounded carbon grains and glass-like carbon that looks like hardened black taffy. Lots of soot and charcoal are evidence of the ensuing wildfires.

"We really have found the mother lode of impact material," Firestone said.

Above this layer of strange sediment there are no signs of mammoths or many of the other large mammal species of the day, or of the distinctive Clovis points. At many of the sites there is a gap in evidence of humans for several hundred years before new types of spear heads show up.

Just like the mammoths, many of the Clovis people could have been killed by the comet. Those who lived would have struggled to survive once many of the animals they hunted died. The remaining people may have delivered the final blow to the last of the large mammals. These people made it through, and slowly the human population rebounded.

Post-Clovis people were more culturally diverse, as reflected by an array of different spear heads, Kennett said. "This may suggest population fragmentation."
More on the Acapulco conference.
TDG.
kbs2244

Post by kbs2244 »

I still think the elephant in the room that no one is talking about is what this does to the C14 dating process.
Have the labs in that area started factoring all this in?
That one post where he described the effects on the process was dated 2001.
How many old lab reports are going to have to updated, and the implications of the new dates analyzed.
With funding, more then one person has a career here.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Princeton University paleontologist Gerta Keller studies impacts and is skeptical that the explosion 12,900 years ago was big enough to have had such a big effect on climate and animals.

Keller has found evidence that much larger impacts did not cause any major extinctions. According to her, even the asteroid that left a massive crater on the Yucatan Peninsula known as Chicxulub and is thought to have killed off the dinosaurs did not actually cause their extinction.

"If Chicxulub didn't cause extinctions, then how could something this piddling cause these extinctions, and how could it have changed climate for 1,400 years?" she asked.

I saw a special on this idea a few years ago. Keller claimed that dinosaurs survived for a couple of hundred thousand years after Chicxulub. Lots of yelling and screaming on that one.

-- George Carlin
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

MONTREAL — A massive crater in Northern Quebec has been luring the curious for over 50 years. Diamond prospectors, Second World War pilots and National Geographic all made pilgrimages to the distant natural wonder.

Now, an international team led by Laval University in Quebec City has journeyed to the Pingualuit Crater near the Hudson Strait in hopes of unlocking 120,000 years worth of secrets about climate change.

The four-country expedition has just returned with sediments from the crater, formed 1.3 million years ago when a meteorite crashed to Earth with 8,500 times the force of the Hiroshima atomic bomb.

"This is like a natural archive of climatic and environmental change," said lead researcher Reinhard Pienitz, a Laval University geography professor.

Prof. Pienitz is the latest in a string of scientists and adventurers drawn to the haunting formation, described by a Globe and Mail correspondent on a 1950 expedition as the eighth wonder of the world.

The geologist's better hurry up and get on the bandwagon before you archeologist's change the whole geologic past. If the dating has been wrong for carbon, what about the geologic dating.

I just can't stop grinning, the club is shitin' it's past.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/ ... ience/home
Charlie Hatchett

Post by Charlie Hatchett »

kbs2244 wrote:I still think the elephant in the room that no one is talking about is what this does to the C14 dating process.
Have the labs in that area started factoring all this in?
That one post where he described the effects on the process was dated 2001.
How many old lab reports are going to have to updated, and the implications of the new dates analyzed.
With funding, more then one person has a career here.
Good point.

Beags did bring up that the Clovis strata at Topper has 14C dating in the 8,500 B.P. range, iirc (help me out Beags). That seems to indicate there was either less 12C or more 14C in the atmoshphere, at least in the area of Topper. Also, iirc, the dating error is greater the closer you get to the Great Lakes region.
Charlie Hatchett

PreClovis Artifacts from Central Texas
www.preclovis.com
http://forum.preclovis.com
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Charlie, the more I read about the effect of the "Comet" on the C14 dating method, the more confused I'm getting. I seem to have trouble grasping all of it.

The artifact at Topper that you mentioned was an estimate by the on site archaeologist, who could tell from the strata, etc.

I'm going to have to wait 'til the dust settles on the dating issue and someone writes a good tutorial. And I just read this morning that the Carbon ions may have been reset again c4500 yrs. ago. :shock:
Cognito

Radiocarbon dating

Post by Cognito »

Charlie, the more I read about the effect of the "Comet" on the C14 dating method, the more confused I'm getting. I seem to have trouble grasping all of it.
Beags, for the new dates on Clovis culture provided by Mike Waters at Texas A&M see:

http://dmc-news.tamu.edu/templates/?a=4202&z=0

The article states: "What Waters and Stafford found when they did their testing were radiocarbon dates that showed the Clovis time range wasn’t as long as previously had been thought. Their tests placed the Clovis time frame between 11,050 radiocarbon years before present to approximately 10,800 radiocarbon years before present."

That equates to 13,050bp to to 12,800bp per the following table:

http://www.unc.edu/~rowlett/units/scale ... carbon.htm

To make matters a little more confusing for you, the above dates also equate to 11,050bce to 10,800bce. The beginning of the Younger Dryas cold spell is typically dated at 10,900bce. If Firestone's theory holds up, it would indicate that the Clovis culture was just taking off and in full swing when the comet struck (assuming it did, of course). However, not all megafauna went extinct at 10,900bce in North America (many survived for much longer), and Firestone's theory has significant dating problems to overcome.
Natural selection favors the paranoid
kbs2244

Post by kbs2244 »

Well, I guess my point is the C14 dates have always been unassailable. You couldn’t argue with them.
And nobody wanted to commit to dates on things they found “until the lab results are in.”
All this no matter what other evidence there was.
This will put a lot of doubt on those C14 “holy opinions”
The other technologies will have to be considered as equal.