Burger King in the ancient world?

Random older topics of discussion

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Starflower

Burger King in the ancient world?

Post by Starflower »

Gotta love it!

http://dsc.discovery.com/news/2007/06/1 ... d=20070618
"We've also found numerous fast food restaurants in Pompeii and other parts of ancient Rome."

Dyson likened these places to a cross between "Burger King and a British pub or a Spanish tapas bar." Open to the street, each had a large counter with a receptacle in the middle from which food or drink would have been served.
Her claims are based both on what she did not find during the excavation, and what she did.

Allison noticed an unusual lack of tableware and formal dining or kitchen areas within the Pompeii homes. Instead she found isolated plates here and there, such as in sleeping quarters.

"Similar to how children today bring a plate of food to their rooms before watching TV or playing on the computer, my guess is that Roman youths would tote food to certain areas where they possibly engaged in other activities," she said, adding that kids might also have dined with slaves in nanny or caretaker roles.

What she did find in the homes were multiple mini barbecue-type fire boxes, suggesting that "BBQ or fondue-style dining" often took place.
Throw another shrimp on the barbie, mate.
It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
-- Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World

"Give us the timber or we'll go all stupid and lawless on your butts". --Redcloud, MTF
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

I have a photo of my wife standing inside one of those street-front kitchens in Pompeii.

So nice to get a picture of her in any kitchen!

Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Sam Salmon

Post by Sam Salmon »

In the developing world today it's often as less bother/even cheaper to but a meal on the street than cooking for oneself.

In that regard little has changed.
kbs2244

Post by kbs2244 »

This is not news.
I remember reading in high school history that Roman houses did not have kitchens. There were whole neighborhoods of "take out" places.
Remindes me of New Orleans (pre Katerina)