Now Here's a Guy

Random older topics of discussion

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Now Here's a Guy

Post by Minimalist »

who isn't afraid to overturn a few applecarts!!

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/w ... 980396.ece
Our earliest ancestors gave up hunter-gathering and took to a settled life up to 400,000 years earlier than previously thought, according to controversial research.

The accepted timescale of Man’s evolution is being challenged by a German archaeologist who claims to have found evidence that Homo erectus — mankind’s early ancestor, who migrated from Africa to Asia and Europe — began living in settled communities long before the accepted time of 10,000 years ago.

Holy Hell! The CLUB will be having a shit hemorrhage.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Starflower

Post by Starflower »

But others were far from convinced. Paul Pettitt, senior lecturer in palaeolithic archaeology at the University of Sheffield, said: “Are they truly the remains of huts and not a natural phenomenon? Do they really date 400,000 years or are they much more recent? The site formation, age and implications are all questionable.
Now see this fella says they could be natural phenomenon, not huts. Now where have I heard that before? Oh yeah, there are no hand axes in America. I guess Cogs and Charlie know all about that one. :wink:

On a serious note, I hope this information proves to be true. I have always felt there was more to erectus than anyone would give him credit for.
It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
-- Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World

"Give us the timber or we'll go all stupid and lawless on your butts". --Redcloud, MTF
Charlie Hatchett

Post by Charlie Hatchett »

...Professor Ziegert said: “The first archaeological revolution in fact was not triggered by anatomically ‘modern humans’ in the neolithic, or indeed in the technological and cultural revolution associated with the upper palaeolithic, but by Homo erectus, upright Man, an altogether different ancestral species making waves at the dawn of humanity.” ...
Sound's strangely similar to many discussions we've had on this board. :wink:
Charlie Hatchett

PreClovis Artifacts from Central Texas
www.preclovis.com
http://forum.preclovis.com
Cognito

Home erectus

Post by Cognito »

Very interesting ... reminds me of the 400,000 year old javelins found in Germany as referenced in Chris Hardaker's book. Those finds just won't fit into a tidy category that will go away. And, whoever was flinging those javelins must have been wearing warm clothing due to the northern latitude (62 degrees I believe). So much for ignorant cavemen! :D
Natural selection favors the paranoid
fossiltrader

Fingers crossed.

Post by fossiltrader »

Hi best news i read in a while will make my fellow researchers happy we been looking for similar information through lithics studies and site analysis for 8 years now.
Rokcet Scientist

Re: Home erectus

Post by Rokcet Scientist »

Cognito wrote:
And, whoever was flinging those javelins must have been wearing warm clothing due to the northern latitude (62 degrees I believe).
Germany's south is at 47 degrees, the north at 53 degrees.
Cognito

Javelins

Post by Cognito »

Germany's south is at 47 degrees, the north at 53 degrees.
Sorry R/S, it was 52 degrees north latitude, not 62 ... my bad:

Seven spear-like objects were found in a coal mine in the city of Schöningen, Germany. The weapons were carbon dated to be about 400,000 years old. The excavated items were made of spruce (Picea) trunk and measured between 1.82 and 2.25 meters. They were manufactured with the maximum thickness and weight situated at the front end of the wooden shaft. The frontal center of gravity suggests these pole weapons were used as javelins.
Ref: http://www.archaeology.org/9705/newsbriefs/spears.html

I will eat humble pie, but I imagine it was still frikken cold in the winter, requiring clothing to survive. :shock:
Last edited by Cognito on Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Natural selection favors the paranoid
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Very interesting ... reminds me of the 400,000 year old javelins found in Germany
Yep, and those javelins were perfectly balanced for throwing, as a modern javelin. Yet we have been told that HNS ran up close to his prey and stabbed it at arms length.

A bit of an inconsistency?
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

A bit of an inconsistency?

This is the no-hand-axes-in-North-America crowd, after all.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Digit

Post by Digit »

I feel like starting my own Club, everyone who thinks that brains are a 20thC phenomenon, please join! :twisted:
Rokcet Scientist

Post by Rokcet Scientist »

Digit wrote:I feel like starting my own Club, everyone who thinks that brains are a 20thC phenomenon, please join! :twisted:
Can we nominate whom to extend FREE lifetime card carrying memberships?

8)
Digit

Post by Digit »

Yep! :lol: