Inca Maiden

Random older topics of discussion

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Beagle

Inca Maiden

Post by Beagle »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/6983300.stm
The remains of the girl, who was 15 when she died, were found in an icy pit on top of a volcano in the Andes, along with a younger boy and girl.

Researchers believe they were sacrificed by the Incas 500 years ago.

The three were discovered at a height of 6,700m (22,000ft) on Mount Llullaillaco, a volcano in north-west Argentina on the border with Chile.
I'm not sure how they know she was a maiden.
clubs_stink

Post by clubs_stink »

close inspection???? :twisted:
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Right Clubs :lol:
But the exhibition has angered several indigenous groups who campaigned to stop the mummy from going on display.

Miguel Suarez from the Calchaquies valley tribes in and around Salta told the Associated Press news agency that the exhibit was "a great mistake", adding that he hoped visitors would show respect for the dead.
Since this girl is only 500 yrs. old, I think these Indians have a much stronger case regarding their burial customs than the North American tribes do in the case of Paleoindians like Kennewick man. But I get the impression that their are no laws in their favor in South America.
Leona Conner

Post by Leona Conner »

Maybe they called her a "maiden" because only virgins were considered pure enough for sacrifice. In order for her to be a proper sacrifice to a god she had to be free from any impurities.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Re: Inca Maiden

Post by Minimalist »

Beagle wrote:http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/6983300.stm
The remains of the girl, who was 15 when she died, were found in an icy pit on top of a volcano in the Andes, along with a younger boy and girl.

Researchers believe they were sacrificed by the Incas 500 years ago.

The three were discovered at a height of 6,700m (22,000ft) on Mount Llullaillaco, a volcano in north-west Argentina on the border with Chile.
I'm not sure how they know she was a maiden.

Bill Maher did a bit about that idea some years ago.

Something like "sure, they sacrificed the virgins but no one was dumb enough to sacrifice the sluts....."
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news ... index.html

This mummy is now on display. National Geographic has a photo gallery of the Incan girl. 6 pictures.
Rokcet Scientist

Post by Rokcet Scientist »

I don't like to look at dead people.
I don't like buried people be put on display.
I think dead people should basically be left alone. Perhaps investigated scientifically, very carefully, but then restored to their peace. Not put on display. Like in a freak show.

I don't like juggling with corpses (human or otherwise) at all. I think they deserve respect. And peace.
That's why I'll make damn sure that 'they' will never 'juggle' with my remains: there won't be any to juggle around. Cremation.
Digit

Post by Digit »

Agreed RS.
First people deny a thing, then they belittle it, then they say it was known all along! Von Humboldt
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Rokcet Scientist wrote:I don't like to look at dead people.
I think dead people should basically be left alone. Perhaps investigated scientifically, very carefully, but then restored to their peace. Not put on display. Like in a freak show.

I don't like juggling with corpses (human or otherwise) at all. I think they deserve respect. And peace.
That's why I'll make damn sure that 'they' will never 'juggle' with my remains: there won't be any to juggle around. Cremation.
What about skeletons RS? Or individual bones? I just want to know so that I can post a warning with links. Something like "Images may be disturbing" (IMBD) That one's rather close to IMDB - the movie database, so that could be to confusing. Never fear, we'll come up with something.
Rokcet Scientist

Beagle wrote:
Rokcet Scientist wrote:I don't like to look at dead people.

What about skeletons RS? Or individual bones? I just want to know so that I can post a warning with links. Something like "Images may be disturbing" (IMBD) That one's rather close to IMDB - the movie database, so that could be to confusing. Never fear, we'll come up with something.
Last time I looked skeletons and bones were dead people too, Beag.
I've got no problem with scientific research – IF respectful – provided the items are restored, when the research has been finished, to the condition they were found in, as much as possible. 'Respect' is the key word here for me.
Putting them on display is not respectful, imo. There is no scientific goal served by putting them on display. Just peoples' sick, perverted curiosity.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

The skeleton of "Lucy", the first A. Afarensis found, is touring the US right now. Do you have objections to that?
Digit

Post by Digit »

You've put your finger on a strange viewpoint there Beag, for me at least, as such early skeletons don't evoke the objections that I have for mummies on display etc.
First people deny a thing, then they belittle it, then they say it was known all along! Von Humboldt
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Just peoples' sick, perverted curiosity.

Um...guilty as charged.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Rokcet Scientist

Beagle wrote:
The skeleton of "Lucy", the first A. Afarensis found, is touring the US right now.
Like a regular freak show.

Do you have objections to that?
No.
Because Lucy didn't sapiens sapiens.
But it looks more and more like HE did.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Because Lucy didn't sapiens sapiens.
But it looks more and more like HE did.
Well, that's true of course. Lucy was australopithecus (southern ape), and Erectus is a member of the Homo genus. So I guess we're just talking about humans.

OK.