Random older topics of discussion

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Interesting Genetic Study

Post by Minimalist »

on the Phoenecians.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070910/sc_ ... lCHLwhANEA
The marker, known as the J2 haplogroup, was found in an unusually high proportion among Lebanese, Palestinians and Syrians tested by Zalloua during more than five years of research. He tested 1,000 people in the region.

FROM LEBANON TO SPAIN

"The further south you go, the less likely you are to see this marker. The further north and the further inland you go, the less you see of this marker. It is very Levantine," he said.

Traced to Tunisia (Carthage) and Spain (which was also colonized by the Carthaginians.)
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

I guess they haven't moved much in 2000+ yrs.
kbs2244

Post by kbs2244 »

Ahh....
But has anybody bothered to look for this marker on the west side of the Atlanttic?
Sailors do have a reputation for leaving their "mark" in one way or another.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

That's a fair question.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
john

Post by john »

Minimalist wrote:That's a fair question.
Particularly on the coast between Newfoundland and Cape Cod...............

john
"Man is a marvellous curiosity. When he is at his very, very best he is sort of a low-grade nickel-plated angel; at his worst he is unspeakable, unimaginable; and first and last and all the time he is a sarcasm."

Mark Twain
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Why there, John?

Wouldn't you expect the Phoenecians/Carthaginians to begin from the Pillars of Hercules?

-- George Carlin
kbs2244

Post by kbs2244 »

Yeah. I am thinking more to the south.
Keeping Gloria Farley in mind, and all the evidence she found on the Arkansas River.
CC’s route was mapped before him.
Somebody had to have been there before him and written it down.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

http://www.independent.com.mt/news.asp?newsitemid=57215

A Lebanese genetic scientist who has been following the genetic footprint of the ancient Phoenician civilisation across the Mediterranean for the last five years has found that close to one-third of modern-day Maltese share a genetic link with the ancient Phoenicians.

Thirty per cent of DNA samples taken from Malta have been found to share a common and ancient genetic marker, known as the J2 haplogroup, with the Phoenician civilisation, which had colonised Malta for much of the first millennium BC.
The Maltese wade in to say that a third of them have this genetic marker.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Carthage had control of Corsica, Sardinia and Western Sicily prior to the Punic Wars, as well.

-- George Carlin
kbs2244

Post by kbs2244 »

And there are those that think they had strong connections with, if not control of, trading locations through out the NA SE and SW.
Rokcet Scientist

Post by Rokcet Scientist »

kbs2244 wrote:Ahh....

Sailors do have a reputation for leaving their "mark" in one way or another.
Aaah! Is that what it's called!

:lol:
NAeuroMUT

Gene research

Post by NAeuroMUT »

http://www.dnaancestryproject.com/

I recently joined this site and have found some rather startling results regarding my strand. I am not hawking it, but I thought it relevent to the thread.

I am of the R haplotype from my paternal line that covers most of Indoeurope, and the Celtic Isles. But interestingly, there is also strong Asian influence from as far away as Japan in my line. I guess someone in my father's ancestry got around a bit :)
"If your system of beliefs were responsible for all the worst atrocities in human history, would you really want to know about it?"
Forum Monk

Post by Forum Monk »

Hi Mut - welcome to the forum.

I am no geneticist but perhaps your Halpotype is revealing that a female on your mother's side "got around".
:shock:

Too bad genetic testing can't reveal the identity of my 7g-grandfather who immigrated to New England circa 1700. Genetics is one kind of science, genealogy another.
NAeuroMUT

Post by NAeuroMUT »

Forum Monk wrote:Hi Mut - welcome to the forum.

I am no geneticist but perhaps your Halpotype is revealing that a female on your mother's side "got around".
:shock:

Too bad genetic testing can't reveal the identity of my 7g-grandfather who immigrated to New England circa 1700. Genetics is one kind of science, genealogy another.
My current results only reflect the paternal line. The test for my maternal line is not yet complete.

Agreed, and agreed on the 2nd portion.
"If your system of beliefs were responsible for all the worst atrocities in human history, would you really want to know about it?"
Cognito

Haplotype

Post by Cognito »

I am of the R haplotype from my paternal line that covers most of Indoeurope, and the Celtic Isles. But interestingly, there is also strong Asian influence from as far away as Japan in my line. I guess someone in my father's ancestry got around a bit
Hi Mut. So you are likely yDNA R1b1c something or other. Can you give me your particular sub-clade beyond that designation? I am the same yDNA haplotype with a U5a mtDNA. Makes me a CroMagnon, the closest thing to a Neanderthal you'll see (my friends and enemies would agree) In other words, hi cousin! :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haplogroup_R1b_(Y-DNA)
Natural selection favors the paranoid