Floating a new idea?

Random older topics of discussion

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Forum Monk

Floating a new idea?

Post by Forum Monk »

Seems someone's been making the rounds on the boards, talking about, floods, ice-ages and submerged cities.

http://dancingfromgenesis.wordpress.com ... -nienhuis/

I wonder what kind of reception he would get here?

:shock:
kbs2244

Post by kbs2244 »

I didn’t check every nook and cranny of the page, but I didn’t see anything new.
It seems to be new to him, and he is trying to tell people about what he has learned.
Nothing wrong with that.
But it is kind of boring to those who have been there and done that already.
Forum Monk

Post by Forum Monk »

It seems Nienhuis has taken a conglomeration of other's theories and woven them into a new theory which supports his young earth creationist views. Many of those ideas have been discussed on these pages to great extent. Several websites present reviews of his book but reveal little about the meat and potatos of his ideas. And I just can't muster the $9.00 to download the ebook version.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

The Hall of Maat chat room (HallofMaat.com) is a den of mainstream Egyptologists who love to mock alternative theories.

Well, I agree with that....of course, it does nothing to help his equally stupid view that genesis is factual.

I think that guy was here....or someone just like him.

I think he got banned for promoting his book. Genesis Veracity or something?????
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Forum Monk

Post by Forum Monk »

Yea, if there was a guy here promoting Genesis Veracity (his website) or Ice Age Civilizations (his tome) then it was the probably the same guy or one of his fans.

Guess that answers the question "..what kind of reception would he get here?" A discussion would be interesting, but self-promotion? Perhaps that is why HoM threw him out.

:roll:
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

I'm sure Michelle recalls better than I but wasn't every post something along the lines of "buy my book and learn the truth of genesis?"
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

I remember him well. His user name was Genesis Veracity and we called him GV. He got banned. Thank goodness and Michelle.
Forum Monk

Post by Forum Monk »

Look here -

http://archaeologica.boardbot.com/viewt ... ilizations

Looking back at these old posts, I never understood if GV was really a pseudonym for Arch. I guess he and Arch were on the board at the same time?

They both appear as "guest" to me now and many posts have been deleted.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Ouch - thanks for the bad memories FM. :lol: That post by Marduk was done to introduce us to GV. The actual GV showed up a couple of hours later. Marduk had clearly invited him here.

He messed up the whole board for a while. Nobody made a post that wasn't followed by GV wanting to talk about his ideas and sell his book. The guest posts there in your link are from Arch.
MichelleH
Site Admin

Post by MichelleH »

Minimalist wrote:I'm sure Michelle recalls better than I but wasn't every post something along the lines of "buy my book and learn the truth of genesis?"
You're right guys it was Genesis Veracity and how in his book science proves Genesis. All of the deletes on the link provided by FM were Genesis Veracity have a tantrum fit because he was told to go peddle crazy somewhere else.

Now, if I could have locked him Marduk and Archie in one dark room for eternity.......oh yes, and let's throw Jean Marie in the room for laughs too....

There are far too many good posters here, past and present to have to deal with the likes of that group.
We've Got Fossils - We win ~ Lewis Black

Red meat, cheese, tobacco, and liquor...it works for me ~ Anthony Bourdain

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.
Rokcet Scientist

Post by Rokcet Scientist »

MichelleH wrote:
[...] Now, if I could have locked him Marduk and Archie in one dark room for eternity.......oh yes, and let's throw Jean Marie in the room for laughs too.... [...]
Yeah . . . Jean Marie . . . there's a blast from the past . . . :lol:

And WHOAA! 'Dark room', Michelle . . . ? Are you sure that's what you meant to say?
ravenwing5910

Post by ravenwing5910 »

Did I miss something? What is the "new idea"? As far as buying some kooks book about the "truth" of Genesis, I don't need a book, I already know it is a myth. There is no credible archaeological evidence that any of the events in the book of Genesis ever occured. So is the "new idea" something to do with bible thumpers being unable to concieve of anything original? I didn't think that was new.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Pretty much.

Jean Marie was a trip. Kind of a female Arch but without the occasional humor.

-- George Carlin
MichelleH
Site Admin

Post by MichelleH »

Rokcet Scientist wrote:
MichelleH wrote:
[...] Now, if I could have locked him Marduk and Archie in one dark room for eternity.......oh yes, and let's throw Jean Marie in the room for laughs too.... [...]
Yeah . . . Jean Marie . . . there's a blast from the past . . . :lol:

And WHOAA! 'Dark room', Michelle . . . ? Are you sure that's what you meant to say?
I absolutely meant to say that..... :twisted:
We've Got Fossils - We win ~ Lewis Black

Red meat, cheese, tobacco, and liquor...it works for me ~ Anthony Bourdain

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.
daybrown

Post by daybrown »

I think it was Sass, "The Subtance of Civilization" who said that during the ice ages, the climate was too unstable for settled communities to get very far before being driven out by drought, cold, or whatever.

The chart of the Greenland ice core seems to back him up. The stability of the last 10ky stands in stark contrast to what went on before. So, I regard all these pre-ice age scenarios as untenable, except, perhaps SE Asia and the report that rice goes back 17kya.

But by the same token am bemused that a lot more work has not been done on the Chalcolithic cultures around the Transylvanians & Carpathians. We can see the tels, and the bone middens reveal the agriculture that evolved from 8000 to 4000 BCE. Which would account for lots of myth, like Plato's "Golden Age of Peace" that predated what is generally thot of as "civilization".

Yes, something predated Egypt & Mesopotamia, and whatever else there may have been, the artifacts and tels along the rivers that join the Danube delta make an irrefutable case way beyond the usual whacko theories.

It would all gladden the hearts of White Supremacists.. till you explain its the ancestors of the Slavs.
Any god watching me hasta be bored, and needs to get a life.