We are the center of the universe.
My grandson would agree with that.
john

Post by john »

Beagle wrote:
We are the center of the universe.
My grandson would agree with that.
And he'd be absolutely correct.

The universe is defined as infinite........so let's take one aspect of that, which is volume, i.e. physical space. Infinitely large.

It follows that, no matter where you position yourself within that volume, you are argueably at center.

I know this sounds counterintuitive and possibly syllogistic, but.......

give me an argument against.

john
"Man is a marvellous curiosity. When he is at his very, very best he is sort of a low-grade nickel-plated angel; at his worst he is unspeakable, unimaginable; and first and last and all the time he is a sarcasm."

Mark Twain
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

That's true john. There's no middle of infinity.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

There is a subtle difference between being at the center of your own universe and thinking that the entire universe revolves around YOU.

Such people become religious fanatics or presidents.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
john

Post by john »

Minimalist wrote:There is a subtle difference between being at the center of your own universe and thinking that the entire universe revolves around YOU.

Relig fanatics and presidents have already defined a thoroughly finite universe. Which throws the concept of infinity out the door, from the gitgo. On purpose. Because of their hyperfocus on the amount of shit you can "gain" within the limits of the mortal coil.

William Blake has written some really interesting stuff on what occurs if you don't .

Also, the Tao Te Ching.

jsi
"Man is a marvellous curiosity. When he is at his very, very best he is sort of a low-grade nickel-plated angel; at his worst he is unspeakable, unimaginable; and first and last and all the time he is a sarcasm."

Mark Twain
Digit

Post by Digit »

It's probably my age, but apart from a mathematical concept, I still have problems with the idea that the universe is infinite. It sounds more to me like a way of dodging the question of what is beyond the universe?
First people deny a thing, then they belittle it, then they say it was known all along! Von Humboldt
Cognito

Truism

Post by Cognito »

Min stated:
Alternatively, some people become religious fanatics and presidents. :D
Last edited by Cognito on Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Natural selection favors the paranoid
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

<sigh>....that, too.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Cognito

Bushism

Post by Cognito »

Min, we have recently been discussing introns, exons and transposons. We are now moving into the area of morons. :D
Natural selection favors the paranoid
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

:D

Good one, Cogs!

-- George Carlin
NAeuroMUT

Re: Bushism

Post by NAeuroMUT »

Cognito wrote:Min, we have recently been discussing introns, exons and transposons. We are now moving into the area of morons. :D
ROFL!!! We are definitely related!!!
"If your system of beliefs were responsible for all the worst atrocities in human history, would you really want to know about it?"