Genetic Research

Random older topics of discussion

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Beagle

Genetic Research

Post by Beagle »

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/health ... unraveled/
The science of life is undergoing changes so jolting that even its top researchers are feeling something akin to shell-shock. Just four years after scientists finished mapping the human genome - the full sequence of 3 billion DNA "letters" folded within every cell - they find themselves confronted by a biological jungle deeper, denser, and more difficult to penetrate than anyone imagined.
A slew of recent but unrelated studies of everything from human disease to the workings of yeast suggest that mysterious swaths of molecules - long dismissed as "junk DNA" - may be more important to health and evolution than genes themselves.

Meanwhile, a tricky substance called RNA - for decades viewed as the lowly "messenger boy " for genes and proteins - turns out to be a big league player in cell function. It may even represent the cell's command and control system, according to its more vigorous proponents.

In any event, lots of basic biological beliefs are going out the window these days as new discoveries come so rapid-fire that the effect is almost more disorienting than illuminating.

The discoveries have one common theme: Cellular processes long assumed to be "genetic" appear quite often to be the result of highly complex interactions occurring in regions of DNA void of genes. This is roughly akin to Wall Street waking to the realization that money doesn't make the world go 'round, after all.
Recent research has turned what we thought we knew upside down. I think it's going to be quite a while before we find out that HNS is us. :D

My opinion, of course.
Digit

Post by Digit »

When those who know more about these things than we do used the description 'Junk DNA' I realised they were not as bright as they thought they were.
Why are people so shy of admitting that they don't know, after all, that is the first step towards learning!
First people deny a thing, then they belittle it, then they say it was known all along! Von Humboldt
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

That was quite a few years ago, but I felt much the same way Dig. The idea that part of our genetic make-up was useless junk never made any sense.

Now they're in a whole new ball game. But still, this seems like progress.
Digit

Post by Digit »

But there seems little progress Beag in stopping experts making damn stupid statements!
First people deny a thing, then they belittle it, then they say it was known all along! Von Humboldt
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Meanwhile, a tricky substance called RNA - for decades viewed as the lowly "messenger boy " for genes and proteins

I remember a cute littel educational film, with lots of graphics showing exactly how DNA and RNA work. They had it down pat.

That was in the 60's....when I was in high school.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

We live in interesting times. :wink:
Cognito

Junk DNA

Post by Cognito »

The Wikipedia explanation of "Junk DNA" is as good as any:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junk_DNA

It ain't junk. :roll:
Natural selection favors the paranoid
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Similarly, proponents of extraterrestrial origin theories suggest that junk DNA may be lying dormant, waiting for a signal from the creators of the human race.
:shock:

I like Wiki. They cover every angle. Thanks Cogs.
Digit

Post by Digit »

waiting for a signal from the creators of the human race.
Let there be light?
Leona Conner

Post by Leona Conner »

Watch out guys they're coming for ya!

I knew that sooner or later someone would be coming to take my husband back to his home planet. I figure that since Denial is not a river in Egypt, it must be a planet out there somewhere.
Cognito

Signals

Post by Cognito »

Similarly, proponents of extraterrestrial origin theories suggest that junk DNA may be lying dormant, waiting for a signal from the creators of the human race.
Yes, that's quite interesting. Of course, there is a premise that extraterrestrials would give a crap about us in the first place ... somewhat similar to the EARTH-IS-THE-CENTER-OF-THE-UNIVERSE thinking. Sorry guys ... we just ain't all that important in the larger scheme of things. :roll:
Natural selection favors the paranoid
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

In a macrocosmic universe the Milky Way galaxy is probably a molecule on a rats ass somewhere.
Digit

Post by Digit »

Oh you unhappy doubters! :lol:
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Doubter?

Moi???
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Forum Monk

Post by Forum Monk »

No point in getting all universal minded. In a sense, the earth is the center of the universe. There is no other intelligent life in our solar system, and we have yet to discover any within our cosmic neighborhood. Sure, we can speculate there is life on distant planets, orbiting stars somewhere in our galaxy, but who cares. Nothing we are doing or thinking is affecting them and vise versa.

We are the center of the universe.