Gogle Earth and Past Sea Levels

Random older topics of discussion

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

kbs2244

Gogle Earth and Past Sea Levels

Post by kbs2244 »

From the news pages.

http://www.newkerala.com/oct.php?action ... ws&id=8395

We talked about this before as a nice thing for somebody to do.
It looks to limited to around Austraiia for now. but we can hope.
I don't know how to get more info on it, and I don't know if it is a product or what.
But if someone can find out more about it, I am intrested in learning more.
Manystones

Post by Manystones »

Digit

Post by Digit »

So if melting of the ice caps would raise sea level 70-80 mtrs above present and in the past the seas have been 300 mtrs above present where did the water come from?
First people deny a thing, then they belittle it, then they say it was known all along! Von Humboldt
Forum Monk

Post by Forum Monk »

Psalm 33:7 (New International Version)
New International Version (NIV)
Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984 by International Bible Society

7 He gathers the waters of the sea into jars;
he puts the deep into storehouses.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Digit wrote:So if melting of the ice caps would raise sea level 70-80 mtrs above present and in the past the seas have been 300 mtrs above present where did the water come from?
It makes for a confusing picture, but as seas water warms, it expands. That expansion accounts for some sea level rise.
Digit

Post by Digit »

Granted Beag, but not that amount!
First people deny a thing, then they belittle it, then they say it was known all along! Von Humboldt
Forum Monk

Post by Forum Monk »

I remember once before on this forum having a brief discussion about the rate of rise of warm seas (fingerprints of the gods?). Its actually rather insignificant; certainly two orders of magnitude less than the levels mentioned by Digit.

I wasn't aware of the higher figures which are dated to millions of years ago. I have only worked with 100 meters less for the LGM and 80 meters higher if the ice caps totally melt.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Granted, it doesn't account for all that. But there is some hypothetical thought that it might be significant. Here's an abstract.

http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/doi/ab ... .tb00018.x

User name:
Password: Register Forgotten Password Athens/Institution Login
Synergy Home | Browse | Search | My Synergy | Books Online | Resources |
For Librarians For Authors For Societies For Press About | Help

Journal Menu
Table of Contents
List of Issues
Tools
Email this article
Add to favorite articles
Export this citation
Alert me when this article is cited: Email | RSS
(What is this?)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View ISI citation
Publication history
Issue online:
10 Nov 2006

Received 2 June 1997: revised version accepted 2 April 1998
Home > List of Issues > Table of Contents > Article Abstract
Terra Nova
Volume 9 Issue 5-6 Page 228-231, December 1997

To cite this article: Michael Schulz, Christian Schäfer-Neth (1997)
Translating Milankovitch climate forcing into eustatic fluctuations via thermal deep water expansion: a conceptual link
Terra Nova 9 (5-6), 228–231.
doi:10.1111/j.1365-3121.1997.tb00018.x

Prev Article Next Article
Abstract
Translating Milankovitch climate forcing into eustatic fluctuations via thermal deep water expansion: a conceptual link
Michael Schulz11Sonderforschungsbereich 313, Universität Kiel, Heinrich-Hecht-Platz 10, D-24118 Kiel, Germany**Correspondence: Tel: +49/431-880-7324. Fax: +49/431-880-1569, E-mail: mschulz@Slb313.uni-kiel.de) and Christian Schäfer-Neth11Sonderforschungsbereich 313, Universität Kiel, Heinrich-Hecht-Platz 10, D-24118 Kiel, Germany1Sonderforschungsbereich 313, Universität Kiel, Heinrich-Hecht-Platz 10, D-24118 Kiel, Germany
*Correspondence: Tel: +49/431-880-7324. Fax: +49/431-880-1569, E-mail: mschulz@Slb313.uni-kiel.de)
ABSTRACT

Sedimentological evidence indicates metre-scale, cyclic changes in global sea-level during Mesozoic greenhouse climates; the cyclicity is thought to be due to Milankovitch forcing. The absence of continental ice-caps requires other mechanisms than glacier build-up to explain these variations. We propose that thermal expansion of the entire oceanic water column may partly explain the observed sea-level variations on Milankovitch timescales. Using existing climate model results, we show that an increase in deep water temperature of 2°C and a corresponding sea-level rise of 1.7 m by thermal expansion can be induced by Milankovitch forcing via increased formation of warm deep waters in low latitudes
Not much, depending on deep sea water warming.
kbs2244

Post by kbs2244 »

MS:
No, I never saw those before.
They will be worth playing with!
Sea level as of when is the base line?

Sea level change due to ice melting can be seen by an old grade school experiment. Take a glass about 3//4 full of ice, fill around the ice with water. You now have a nice glass of ice water. Mark the level of the water surface on the side of the glass and set it aside over night. Check the water level in the AM after the ice has melted. That is how much change you will see when ice melts. Zilch.
The only variable is the amount of ice currently ABOVE sea level. And, right now, on a global scale, spread over 2/3 of the Earth’s surface, it isn’t very much.
Digit

Post by Digit »

Sea level as of when is the base line?
Quite! Those earlier figures showing over 200 mtr variation in sea levels either mean that the oceans have lost a hell of a lot of water or that the base line has moved!