IN SITU RESEARCH.

Random older topics of discussion

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Cognito

Grammar & Spelling

Post by Cognito »

Most people on this board overlook occasional grammatical errors and typos since we all have our moments. However, if someone wishes to be critical of others, then being intelligible would be nice. For me, I am responding just as much to careless comments and rudeness as I am to poor grammar and spelling. None of those characteristics indicate a genious mentality.
Natural selection favors the paranoid
annieo11

Post by annieo11 »

this is a subject that i have an opinion about. wow, it's not a first but it is the first time i feel like i can chime in and not be totally wrong. i have limited computer skills and have never written a post in anything but a reply box. that could be why i have such trouble. not clear, not concise, not understood,and i'm not going to take my time to become so, i guess. i have to thank kb for the advise to do it like a sixth grader. that way i dont use any big words or hard concepts,that, i cant explain or spell.

so i struggle along and often want to but, do not post as not to disrupt or cause confusion in the conversation.

fossil trader has posted this same thought before and i as a amature rock collector see his problem with it. the thought that if i pick up that artifact or geo fact as i like to call them (calms my conscience) is hard to shake. even after i have watched 5oo acres turn from artifact city to brick and mortar city. i read the news, things like, we found this or that and we have to work quick because the quickie stop needs to be completed by april no real archeology takes place. they document what is easy and cover and build more and more. since here in the US they are not finding viking gold or nebra discs its a not brainer just more of the same. that's my impression of the official line the quicker we cover this up the sooner we can eat.

the rocks i have collected are of no real value archeology minded. so what. i was once asked, why dont you take them to a professional , not that i wouldn't like to know more but if you have ever gotten the brush off i think the professionals profected the tecnique. thanks all for listening annieo
Forum Monk

Post by Forum Monk »

Welcome to the forum, Annieo11!
:D
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Hi Annie,

I actually belong to a board where the administrator bans people for not capitalizing and such. Fortunately, we are not so fanatical here....so far.
:wink:

The issue has been dealt with again and again and there is no satisfactory answer. Ideally, archaeologists should have a shot at checking over anything that comes out of the ground and removing it to museums. Ideals rarely work in the real world. In Israel and Italy and Greece where I just was, everytime you stick a shovel into the ground you seem to touch a part of the past. They do call in the professionals and it delays big construction projects all the time. Time is money, as the saying goes, and we Americans are less tolerant.

Even if you could get a team to every site the funds for preservation and display of any artifacts are lacking. Most museums live hand-to-mouth and the basements and store rooms are already jammed with artifacts that they have no room to show. Building additional galleries is a business decision which has to indicate that it will generate enough revenue to pay for the new construction and operating costs and there do not seem to be any gaurantees on that score. When idealism and reality clash, it is usually idealism that gets the short end of the stick.

Anyway, your opinions are as valuable as anyone else's. Feel free to express them.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Hi Annie, welcome aboard.

Last edited by Beagle on Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Digit

Post by Digit »

Hi Annie! Don't worry too much about computer skills, (take a look at some of my earlier attempts!), it's your opinions we want not a demo on computer literacy.
Monk and some of the others are good and very willing to help, I found.
So welcome aboard!
First people deny a thing, then they belittle it, then they say it was known all along! Von Humboldt
Barracuda

Post by Barracuda »

There is a program called ispell that can be downloaded for free that checks spelling in a reply box. It doesn't check grammar
Frank Harrist

Post by Frank Harrist »

Hell, my grammar ain't that good either. :wink:
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

It ain't?
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Frank Harrist

Post by Frank Harrist »

Naw.
Rokcet Scientist

Post by Rokcet Scientist »

Useless checkers if they can't find and change a full stop followed by a space and a lower case letter into a full stop followed by a space and a capital letter!

In my sixth grade we already used that for 3 years!
john

Post by john »

Frank Harrist wrote:Naw.
The hell of it is, I had a pair of fairly literate parents who drummed the language (English) into me. I took to it like a fish to water.

Over the last 10-15 years, every grammar/spellchecker I've used has been riddled with mistakes of both usage and spelling. So, to use the spellchecker is to correct the spellchecker. I gave that up quite a while ago, and now refer to them mostly for amusement.

My caveat: never confuse the ability to think, and to think extremely well, with dotting the grammatical "i" or crossing the spelling "t".

Furthermore, I find systematic abuse of the grammatical/spelling holograph of the language, for purposes of communication, to be both effective and creative.

Language is, after all, as alive and changing as any species.

john

postscriptum:

Can anyone here say with certainty that they can still parse a sentence? I certainly can't, although at one point I could. My wife, who can and does, upbraids me regularly about my colloquial and individual use of language.

C'est la guerre.

j
"Man is a marvellous curiosity. When he is at his very, very best he is sort of a low-grade nickel-plated angel; at his worst he is unspeakable, unimaginable; and first and last and all the time he is a sarcasm."

Mark Twain
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

C'est la guerre.
That's French, right?

-- George Carlin
john

Post by john »

Minimalist wrote:
C'est la guerre.
That's French, right?[/quote

yup -

Roughly translated as

"That's the war, and there isn't sweet fuck all I can do about it."

This in reference to the various breakdowns created by war, from the societal to the material, all in between included.

j
"Man is a marvellous curiosity. When he is at his very, very best he is sort of a low-grade nickel-plated angel; at his worst he is unspeakable, unimaginable; and first and last and all the time he is a sarcasm."

Mark Twain
annieo11

Post by annieo11 »

thank you all for the welcome. also the message that its the message and not how its delivered thats important. Yes min i should capitalize at least the beginning of a sentence. sometimes tho i get so caught up in the mechanics that it is a wash and i just delete.
i have to laugh when i see french or latin cause then i could spend eternity looking up what that means. that is the war.
anyhow, back to my point

if i pick these beauties up and put them all together they look like something. most of what i started with came from my propery so there is no foul here as i understand the law.
as the construction came closer i began to check their dirt piles. they moved a whole hill from one place to another. in the rubble of rock and earth there were all kinds of what i feel are unusual rocks. once they move a hill it is no longer in situ. has no value. i say nay.

i always figured that the professionals had there own examples of these kinds of materials. boxes and boxes of research stuff. that amatures and volunteers were the work force of the pros. with the lack of funds in this field they cant do the work without them.
i could be really wrong about that as i am in many cases, but i see no harm and no foul in trying to preserve and collect what if left alone will become graded and grumbled.
annieo