National Geographic

Random older topics of discussion

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Minimalist
Forum Moderator

National Geographic

Post by Minimalist »

On Dec 2, Nat Geo is broadcasting this special.

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/c ... 22100.html
In a remote Chinese desert, archaeologists have unearthed mummies that are thousands of years old and completely misplaced in this part of the world. These mysterious mummies are Caucasian, with European facial features, including some that had blond hair and blue eyes. Where did they come from? Dr. Spencer Wells, National Geographic explorer-in-residence, goes on a mission to use advanced technology to decode the genetic identity of of these unusually well-preserved mummies.
I'll record it and can Pando it to anyone who wants to see it but doesn't have Nat. Geo.

Who knows? May even have some bearing on the AIT thread?
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
daybrown

Re: National Geographic

Post by daybrown »

Minimalist wrote:On Dec 2, Nat Geo is broadcasting this special.

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/c ... 22100.html
In a remote Chinese desert, archaeologists have unearthed mummies that are thousands of years old and completely misplaced in this part of the world. These mysterious mummies are Caucasian, with European facial features, including some that had blond hair and blue eyes. Where did they come from? Dr. Spencer Wells, National Geographic explorer-in-residence, goes on a mission to use advanced technology to decode the genetic identity of of these unusually well-preserved mummies.
I'll record it and can Pando it to anyone who wants to see it but doesn't have Nat. Geo.

Who knows? May even have some bearing on the AIT thread?
Matter of fact, I said just that a few minutes ago. Is this a new production? I've already seen one Natl Geo piece on the Tocharians. In any case, its another example of what I said, that there will be more expeditions to Central Asia, and a lot more coverage on the region, so much of which predates what we usually think of as 'civilization'.
Any god watching me hasta be bored, and needs to get a life.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

I believe it is new, DB. They don't usually start promoting repeats two weeks in advance.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

As usual Min, put me down for a copy of the show. 8)
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Roger that, Beags.

-- George Carlin
Rokcet Scientist

Post by Rokcet Scientist »

Yeah, Min, I'd appreciate a CC too.
daybrown

Post by daybrown »

Minimalist wrote:I believe it is new, DB. They don't usually start promoting repeats two weeks in advance.
Thanx. I live in hope. As I say in another thread, and have said in many posts, we'll be seeing a lot more coming out of Central Asia. The deserts have preserved vast fortunes in documents and artifacts. Its a gold mine young people in archeology are being drawn to in rapidly increasing numbers.

Which displeases so many chairs that have built careers in India, Mesopotamia, Egypt, Greece, & Rome. For one, there'll be a huge drop in the number of grad students to exploit.

http://www.silk-road.com/newsletter/vol ... _bloom.php for instance, mentions a mail bag found in the desert. Lost in 331AD. How many other mail bags are out there? I dunno, but I can see sending some video drones out to have a look, and how that'd be vastly more productive than scraping dirt with a trowel, and how young people, so used to using a joystick, would rather pick up on that.
Leona Conner

Post by Leona Conner »

It may be new to NG, but there has been a couple of programs on mummies found in China's desert. I can't remember if it was Discover, History, History Intl., or Science (after awhile they start running together) :?
Rokcet Scientist

Post by Rokcet Scientist »

Leona Conner wrote:It may be new to NG, but there has been a couple of programs on mummies found in China's desert. I can't remember if it was Discover, History, History Intl., or Science (after awhile they start running together) :?
Yeah, I have that too. It's called Alzheimers...

8)
daybrown

Post by daybrown »

Rokcet Scientist wrote:
Leona Conner wrote:It may be new to NG, but there has been a couple of programs on mummies found in China's desert. I can't remember if it was Discover, History, History Intl., or Science (after awhile they start running together) :?
Yeah, I have that too. It's called Alzheimers... 8)
Its also called denial. Lotsa folks dont wanna think about Celts in China.
Leona Conner

Post by Leona Conner »

Rokcet Scientist wrote:
Yeah, I have that too. It's called Alzheimers...

8)
Really? I've just always called it "old timers."
Cognito

Sign me up

Post by Cognito »

Min, sign me up also.
The Tarim basin, as opposed to being remote, was in the center of the Silk Road trade. These mummies are not "misplaced" since the Tocharians were there for a great reason -- profitable trade. Nor are they mysterious. Makes for good advance press, though. And just what did they trade from east to west and back again? Drugs, Sex and .... oh well, they didn't have Rock N Roll back then, did they? :shock:
Natural selection favors the paranoid
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Okay.

Hope I don't forget. I'm gettin' close that "Old Timer's" disease myself.

Recently, I was diagnosed with A.A.D.D. - Adult Attention Deficit Disorder.
(Use to be called "lack of FOCUS" - But I feel much better now that it is a "disease".)

This is how it manifests:

I decide to water my garden. As I turn on the hose in the driveway, I look over at my car and decide my car needs washing. As I start toward the garage, I notice that there is mail on the porch table that I brought up from the mail box earlier. I decide to go through the mail before I wash the car. I lay my car keys down on the table, put the junk mail in the garbage can under the table, and notice that the can is full. So, I decide to put the bills back on the table and take out the garbage first.

But then I think, since I'm going to be near the mailbox when I take out the garbage anyway, I may as well pay t he bills first. I take my check book off the table, and see that there is only 1 check left.

My extra checks are in my desk in the study, so I go inside the house to my desk where I find the can of Coke that I had been drinking. I'm going to look for my checks, but first I need to push the Coke aside so that I don't accidentally knock it over. I see that the Coke is getting warm, and I decide I should put it in the refrigerator to keep it cold.

As I head toward the kitchen with the Coke, a vase of flowers on the counter catches my eye--they need to be watered. I set the Coke down on the counter, and I discover my reading glasses that I've been searching for all morning. I decide I better put them back on my desk, but first I'm going to water the flowers. I set the glasses back down on the counter, fill a container with water and suddenly I spot the TV remote. Someone left it on the kitchen table. I realize that tonight when we go to watch TV, I will be looking for the remote, but I won't remember that it's on the kitchen table, so I decide to put it back in the den where it belongs, but first I'll water the flowers.

I pour some water in the flowers, but quite a bit of it spills on the floor. So, I set the remote back down on the table, get some towels and wipe up the spill. Then, I head down the hall trying to remember what I was planning to do.

At the end of the day:

the car isn't washed
the bills aren't paid
there is a warm can of Coke sitting on the counter
the flowers don't have enough water,
there is still only 1 check in my check book,
I can't find the remote,
I can't find my glasses,
and I don't remember what I did with the car keys.

Then, when I try to figure out why nothing got done today, I'm really baffled because I know I was busy all day long, and I'm really tired. I realize this is a serious problem, and I'll try to get some help for it, but first I'll check my e-mail.

-- George Carlin
daybrown

Re: Sign me up

Post by daybrown »

Cognito wrote:Min, sign me up also.
The Tarim basin, as opposed to being remote, was in the center of the Silk Road trade. These mummies are not "misplaced" since the Tocharians were there for a great reason -- profitable trade. Nor are they mysterious. Makes for good advance press, though. And just what did they trade from east to west and back again? Drugs, Sex and .... oh well, they didn't have Rock N Roll back then, did they? :shock:
I think they did Cognito. Even today, musicians and dancing girls from Kucha and Urumchi are very popular in China. Kucha is famous today for its raisins, but formerly the wine- which was dosed with mysterious other drugs, was in high (pun intended) demand.

<sniff> I smell money in it today as well. Surfing reveals a rapidly growing tourist trade, which so far as I can tell from the photos and homes of the authors, are all white people. The fortunes dug up are so rich that someone will start making movies about it, and then reconstuction novels from the era when Chinese & white people made so much money in business with each other.

Oh ya- with swarthy raghead warlords as villians.
Digit

Post by Digit »

Forget what what Min? :lol:
First people deny a thing, then they belittle it, then they say it was known all along! Von Humboldt