Meet the Henge Builders

Random older topics of discussion

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Digit

Post by Digit »

I posted this.
The British Academy states that there are suitable glacial deposits south of the R Severn, that's about 180 miles nearer for man hauling than the Prescelis. I confess here that I have not seen these deposits myself, but then, I haven't seen the Pyramids either!
Come on chaps! Didn't you read this bit? :roll:
First people deny a thing, then they belittle it, then they say it was known all along! Von Humboldt
CShark

Post by CShark »

Digit wrote:I posted this.
The British Academy states that there are suitable glacial deposits south of the R Severn, that's about 180 miles nearer for man hauling than the Prescelis. I confess here that I have not seen these deposits myself, but then, I haven't seen the Pyramids either!
Come on chaps! Didn't you read this bit? :roll:
Yep, saw that. If the B.A is correct, and I am in no position to assume otherwise, then it appears that Mr Pitts has his facts a little blurred...perhaps to intice those gullible readers as myself who believe
everything we read ? :roll:

I've been looking online for bluestone stories; seems many are going with the Preseli theory. I had no idea until now just how 'religious' this debate can be!

AAAnyway, apart from taking part in some serious field walking, we will just have to take the word of our favourite source. Frankly, I'm not sure who to go with, but in the end it's a moot point. Whether the builders transported the bluestones 20 or 200 miles is (IMO) irrelevant. There is so much at SH to marvel and wonder at, that this seems relatively trivial.

Cheers
Bob
Ishtar

Post by Ishtar »

CShark wrote:Whether the builders transported the bluestones 20 or 200 miles is (IMO) irrelevant. There is so much at SH to marvel and wonder at, that this seems relatively trivial.
Like the astronomical alignment...for instance?

Have any of you astro guys on here done any kind of round up of all the world's megaliths and reached any conclusions about what they're aligned to, and why?

This isn't a leading question...I'd like to know the answer myself. :lol:
Digit

Post by Digit »

I've spent too much time studying SH to worry about other structures Ish.
First people deny a thing, then they belittle it, then they say it was known all along! Von Humboldt
kbs2244

Post by kbs2244 »

I think it is pretty well established that the round ones are aligned to North at the time of building and have Solaces and Equinox markers at the least.
Orion and Venus markers seem popular.
Some of the more complex, like SH, seem to have Lunar alignments as well.
There seem to be a whole lot of questions on the rows of standing stones, though.
Digit

Post by Digit »

I think the equinox/solstice alignments are probably genuine, if not, what the hell was it built for. But if you study this map, (don't know how to post just the map I'm afraid) you will see that you can align a chosen marker with just about anything you want.
It is generally agreed that SH was built/rebuilt in several satges, though exactly how many is like everything else about SH, a matter of dispute, and with so much missing it is difficult to establish with certainty which holes were with which stage of construction. Some holes may in fact be from the original forest cover.
If you chose the right combinations of holes and/or stones the alignment will guide you to the nearest pub! :roll:

http://www.savestonehenge.org.uk/chip.html
Ishtar

Post by Ishtar »

Oh well..that's fine then, Dig! That's all we need to know! :lol:

Who's gettin' em in?
Digit

Post by Digit »

Who's gettin' em in?
:lol: :lol:

Fair comment Ish! But you can see from the map that unless you can relate which holes/stones are contemporay with which, any conclusions must be suspect.
Take the Aubrey holes. It was firmly decided at one time that they were Lunar markers for predicting the eclispses, then they wern't.
I have no objections the idea that the builders hauled the Bluestones from Wales, my objctions are the attempts that are made to bolster that non proven event with some very dodgy 'proofs.'
Take the 2 corpses of Welsmen that were found at SH. Only, they weren't, they were found 5 miles away!
The original report actually states that from S Wales or areas of similar geology and ground water. Not the same thing.
And what about the 'Swiss archer', what was he doing there, selling Cuckoo clocks?
Several hundred cremations/inhumations have been found well within that 5 mile radius and one of them was probably a Scot with a set of bagpipes under his arm! :twisted:
Ishtar

Post by Ishtar »

Digit wrote:
Who's gettin' em in?
:lol: :lol:

Fair comment Ish! But you can see from the map that unless you can relate which holes/stones are contemporay with which, any conclusions must be suspect.
I agree with everything you say! And people - for that read 'press' - love to hype things up.

Can you remind me again as to the dating for ST? Because I'm thinking, with the famous precession we've been discussing in another thread, the stones would surely be out of alignment with anything worth being aligned with by now, anyway...
Digit

Post by Digit »

About 5000 yrs ago Ish, not enough precession to show up as you're not exactly viewing through a pin hole. Move your head sideways and your alignment is spot on.
One theory states that the risen Sun flooding its light through the portal would have been reflected off the stones to bathe the whole interior in a golden glow. If that is correct then the actual alignment portal would have to be wider than pure alignment required, as logically the organisers would have wanted the effect to last for some time, which would not have happened with a narrow observation slit.
Ishtar

Post by Ishtar »

So does nothing happen at the summer solstice? I've never been (although I was at the first ever Glastonbury and six months pregnant at the time, but I digress...) but I assumed all these Druid types turned up on that day in order to see some kind of natural light show....?
Digit

Post by Digit »

Bear in mid Ish that 3 to 5000 yrs have passed, and what we see is not what the ancients saw. The stones have had lumps knocked off them and many no longer stand as they once did. But if the theory is correct, and it is supported by the fact that the Sarcens genererally have their smoothist face facing inwards, the interior would have been aglow with with golden light reflected and re-reflected from the stones and would have been a spectacular sight for those within the stones.
Ishtar

Post by Ishtar »

So are we looking at a timeframe between 4300 and 2150? That would make it the age of Taurus, and we've have had two precessional shifts since then.
kbs2244

Post by kbs2244 »

Ish:
On European Stone Stuff;
This is a good place to get started.

http://www.stonepages.com/
Digit

Post by Digit »

The current earliest estimate for stage one is 3100BC Ish, so many viewpoint must depend on the stage of construction. Parts have been added, other parts have been removed, some have been modified.
A child who watched stage one being constructed would not have lived to see stage two.