Blue Eyes

Random older topics of discussion

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Beagle

Post by Beagle »

http://www.theherald.co.uk/features/fea ... colour.php
A single mutation in an individual probably living in the region north-west of the Black Sea is now thought to be the origin of blue eyes. According to scientists in Denmark, the trait then spread with the large migrations of people seeking new agricultural land at the end of the last Ice Age.
Quite why the trait has survived and appears to have flourished is not known, however. It may have offered a survival advantage in the cloudy and darker north or it may have enhanced sexual attractiveness. In ancient societies men would have been in short supply anyway as many would be killed either in hunting expeditions or skirmishes with other groups. Anything which gave a female an advantage in mating with the few available men is thus likely to have had a real effect in spreading the gene into future generations.
Another article on this study. I'm beginning to have my doubts about some of it. Especially the very recent mutation of only 8,000 yrs. ago.
Digit

Post by Digit »

My tumour was found entirely by accident Shark and I posted my history, along with tremendous support and good wishes from the forum, before you joined.
Initially I was told it was large and aggressive, but subsequently it was downgraded to low grade, and I underwent surgery later last year.
Without wishing to worry you I would point out that biopsies can miss small tumours, keep an eye on the PSA tests, though not a certain guide in themselves any changes in the PSA levels are pretty informative.
CShark

Post by CShark »

Digit wrote:My tumour was found entirely by accident Shark and I posted my history, along with tremendous support and good wishes from the forum, before you joined.
Initially I was told it was large and aggressive, but subsequently it was downgraded to low grade, and I underwent surgery later last year.
Without wishing to worry you I would point out that biopsies can miss small tumours, keep an eye on the PSA tests, though not a certain guide in themselves any changes in the PSA levels are pretty informative.
Thanks for the tip. As a lab tech, I am very aware of PSA testing and it's worth. Will be keeping a close watch on the levels.