Current Biblical Archaeology

Random older topics of discussion

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

ReneDescartes

Post by ReneDescartes »

I just finished reading the last five epical pages of this topic .Guys if ever Arch looney brigade wins the next elections (again) I will personnaly split the atlantic ocean to allow you to escape from the coocoo's nest .Now if on the way here you would find the remnants of Atlantis on the bottom of the sea please informme .I misplaced them during my previous performance .I on the other hand you would encounter something that vaguely resembles a pyramid :hush ,don't tell Sam ... :mrgreen:
I think therefore I am
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Yeah, this is the kind of bullshit we have to put up with, Rene.

Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin

Post by Guest »

no i am not back from vacation, this is just to keep minmalist from having too many withdrawal pains:

again more reasons why i would not trust finklestein and dever:

"...weisbrod and Sneh proposed that this third portion was also part of the earlier canal. they suggest...because they believe..." pg. 165
{no proof, just theory}

"Without offering any evidence or rationale, karl butzer theorizes..." pg. 165 {must be nice to not have to prove what you are saying}

"Max Muller complained, 'I need not explain how difficult, from want of monument and the nature of the country, is the geography of the whole Delta of egypt, and especially the western part, about which the most celebrated of egyptologists are very little in harmony." pg. 177

"The situation has not improved significantly since the end of the last century. Indeed, though there has been important archaeological work going on in the Delta and Sinai region in recent decades...Many sites have been badly denuded because of agricultural activity, while a higher water table has made access to early levels difficult,if not impossible. On these problems, Donald Redford comments: 'Many Delta sites had been picked over before archaeological excavations became the scientific endeavor it is today, while others have either permentantly comcealed their Middle Kingdom strat below a high water table." pg. 177

so, to draw the conclusions that finkelstein and dever do, and while representing other archaeologists who think the same way, is just foolishness because they are missing important data and information. it is obvious that the evidence needed to prove the exodus and the conquest beyond a shadow of a doubt is not going to be found.

if it were, then i would submit then that faith would not be needed and that is just not going to happen.
ReneDescartes

Post by ReneDescartes »

Quota Arch : it is obvious that the evidence needed to prove the exodus and the conquest beyond a shadow of a doubt is not going to be found.

if it were, then i would submit then that faith would not be needed and that is just not going to happen. unquote.
I suppose that is also the reason why you think the Ark of noah will never be found ,right Arch ? Again faith only points to faith ,a deadend street for human intelligence .
We call this twisted logics.It is symptomatic for delusive people like you.
You are nothing but a medical case needing care .
I think therefore I am
marduk

Post by marduk »

I suppose that is also the reason why you think the Ark of noah will never be found
nah
the reason that the Ark of Noah will never be found is that it is a heavily embellished story based on the ark of upnapishtim
which is a heavily embellished story based on the ark of Ziusudra
which was a reed boat with a few animals on it which didn't land anywhere near arrarat and wasn't caught in a global deluge
but the main reason Ziusudras ark will never be found is because it was made of reeds which don't preserve very well
:lol:
truth beats faith every time y'know
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

truth beats faith every time y'know

Sadly, marduk, you've apparently never been to the Bible Belt....where logical thought is as rare as hen's teeth.

Giving us a variation of the old...."there's no evidence because it has all been destroyed by later building" hypothesis from Jerusalem, arch? Because it isn't true in Jerusalem where they have managed to find plenty of artifacts from settlements that are both older and younger than your alleged Davidic Empire...which seems to have been a figment of someone's overactive imagination.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
ReneDescartes

Post by ReneDescartes »

See ms that in the Bible Belt god was a bit of a racist too .All those white evangelicals and baptists never practized any of their proclaimed christian values to black people .Even the idea of segregation in heaven was proposed and widely adopted.Truelly amazing . . Luckily god is not eternally advocating his values. He seems to adapt his stance as the situation evolves .
I think therefore I am
Leona Conner

Post by Leona Conner »

Read a wonderful statement today (on the back jacket of a book by Oprah's psyc lady) "Values are what you live, not what you believe."

To bad that those good Christians living in the south think that only what you believe is true. Guess that's why they're trying to cram their ideas of family values down everyones throat, because according to their "logic" only Christian values are any good.

Rene, thanks for the offer of splitting the Atlantic, even though I'm not far from it, bet Minimalist will trample all others getting there first. He just better look out for my cane.

Post by Guest »

I suppose that is also the reason why you think the Ark of noah will never be found ,right Arch ? Again faith only points to faith ,a deadend street for human intelligence
not really for if that were true you would have to apply that thought to the evolutionary process.

if the ark was found, what would you need faith for? it is proven. the problem with most scientists is that when it comes to the Bible, they want to see everything as it is written regardless of what else took place in the years between the event and the discovery of the evidence.

yet they fail to apply that same principle or criteria to the evolutionary theory.
We call this twisted logics.It is symptomatic for delusive people like you
not worth responding to.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

You've convinced me, arch. You haven't evolved at all.

-- George Carlin

Post by Guest »

well a few more posts and i am backon vacation.
ReneDescartes

Post by ReneDescartes »

Meanwhile try haloperidol ,it might change your perception of reality Arch
I think therefore I am

Post by Guest »

Meanwhile try haloperidol ,it might change your perception of reality Arch
very funny.

"There are numerous other biblical structures, peoples and individuals that have also been confirmed by archaeological findings. For example, the hittites were long thought to be biblical legend...Biblical critics once claimed that there was no assyrian king named sargon since his name was not found in any record other than the Bible...bricks with and without straw...saul's fortress at gibeah...the pool of samaria...ahab's house of ivory...hezekiah's water tunnel...the pools of heshbon..jacob's well...

piece by piece the biblical narrativeis being confirmed, supported and illustrated" pg. 129-30 the collapse of evolution.

even though many biblical critics refuse to acknowledge the truth that surrounds the Bible, the Bible has to be completely true or it is of no value to anyone.

in finishing the book, israel in egypt, it dawned on me that the biblical critics use whatever excuse they can to undermine the Bible so they do not have to deal with the message of it and how it affects their lives.

they nitpick or refuse to date properly justso they canavoid the reality they must face until it is too late.
tj

Post by tj »

archaeologist wrote:well a few more posts and i am backon vacation.
Kind of off topic so I apologize, but is anyone else thinking that there is no vacation that Arch is taking?
Now, what's the difference between an invisible, incorporeal floating dragon that spits heatless fire and no dragon at all? - Sagan
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

"There are numerous other biblical structures, peoples and individuals that have also been confirmed by archaeological findings. For example, the hittites were long thought to be biblical legend...Biblical critics once claimed that there was no assyrian king named sargon since his name was not found in any record other than the Bible...bricks with and without straw...saul's fortress at gibeah...the pool of samaria...ahab's house of ivory...hezekiah's water tunnel...the pools of heshbon..jacob's well...

The Hittites were found in 1906....that is hardly 'news.' They were confirmed in Egyptian records....unlike your precious Israelites who do not show up until the end of the 13th century.

Typical western ethnocentrism about Sargon. Just because the West could not read cuneiform you assume that he had to be 'discovered.' Sargon was a great empire builder when your Israelites were not even a figment of anyone's imagination.

Archaeology is far less certain of an attribution for "Saul's fortress" than you are....which is not surprising!

Samaria, Ahab's palace and Hezekiah's water system are already well within the historical period....as Finkelstein has pointed out with no assistance from you.

The"pools of Heshbon????" This must be another bible-thumper hallucination.

In 1968, archaeological excavations were undertaken at the site of Hisban (alternatively spelled Hesban). This excavation was the beginning of what became called the "Heshbon Expedition." This archaeological work was sponsored by Andrews University and under the authority of the American Schools of Oriental Research (ASOR). The Heshbon Expedition continued with excavation seasons until 1976. No evidence of human occupation was found to tie the site to Sihon's Heshbon.

Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heshbon"

As for "Jacob's well"....the city of Shechem was destroyed and built over about 20 times and there are lots of ruins and wells......but Jacob is a literary creation of someone....someone who also thought Joshua's genocide was just a dandy way to do things and you idolize this fictional murderer to this day, don't you?

"Bricks without straw?" I have no idea what you mean except there still remains not a single piece of evidence that the Hebrews were ever slaves in Egypt.

-- George Carlin