Deleted

Random older topics of discussion

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Beagle

Post by Beagle »

The use of the trident is as old as civilization. There are murals, tiles, and paintings in Egypt, Sumeria, and Minoa, etc. that demonstrate it's use.

It is used with a net. The net has sink rocks attached to it. Net the fish and gig it. Simple. Sometimes those net stones are mistaken for ornaments.

Jumping on a whale is speculation gone wild!
marduk

Post by marduk »

Jumping on a whale is speculation gone wild
actually its well documented
The alternative to the gun is a light lance with a rounded head that doesn't catch inside the whale; standing in the bow, Ollivierre thrusts again and again until he finds the heart. "De whole thing is dangerous, but de going in and de killing of it is de most dangerous," he says. He's been known to leap onto the back of the whale and sit with his legs wrapped around the harpoon, stabbing
http://outside.away.com/magazine/1095/10f_whal.html
so once again you haven't a clue what you're talking about have you Beagle
:lol:
Cognito

Calico

Post by Cognito »

Charlie, on my way back from my site I stopped by Calico to speak with Chris Christianson who manages the site for Fred Budinger. Here's his picture:

He was the chauffer and bodyguard for Louis Leakey and is older than dirt (he was talking about running cross country in high school in the 40s). We are planning to renovate one of the outbuildings into a lab for Fred this spring. Being a former sheriff he has also agreed to appoint me his deputy for crowd control when the Friends of the Pleistocene show up. Maybe I'll get to shoot somebody? :D

Found some nice handaxes (of course they don't exist) and other items while at my site in addition to taking some strat pics. I'll post those later since everyone here seems to be having so much fun right now discussing tridents! 8)
Natural selection favors the paranoid
Digit

Post by Digit »

One comment is 'well documented'? The fact that it is recorded in that manner infers that it was a somewhat unusual practice. Out of curiosity, how did he die?
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Beagle wrote:The use of the trident is as old as civilization. There are murals, tiles, and paintings in Egypt, Sumeria, and Minoa, etc. that demonstrate it's use.

It is used with a net. The net has sink rocks attached to it. Net the fish and gig it. Simple. Sometimes those net stones are mistaken for ornaments.

Jumping on a whale is speculation gone wild!

Hmmm.....
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
marduk

Post by marduk »

One comment is 'well documented'?
it took me 30 seconds to find that
on a previous occaison (havent you guessed yet that I've researched this before) I found plenty of claims for this method of whaling
Whales aren't as stupid as some of the posters here
when they figure you're after them they leave
so you have to jump on them to get them first time or you go hungry
its seen as a rite of passage in some cultures
really Roy at some point you'll stop bleating and start learning
til then
carry on please
hehe
:lol:
Digit

Post by Digit »

Like learning how to kill a whale with a trident you mean Marduk? As I have agreed before, you are better on a computer than me, so be kind enough to produce these reams of evidence about a 'rite of passage', do that and I might start learning something as you say. You've made the claim, all I ask is that you provide the evidence to back it up. That's the scientific method.
stan

Post by stan »

Maybe it would be useful to point out that whales come in different sizes.

Saw a movie about Eskimos hunting whales in which the hunter jumped on the whale and stabbed....'twas fiction, but seemed to be grounded in anthropological research.

also, for what it's worth, steel gigs (tridents) are used to spear eels in New England.

The Amerindians used wooden spears with two bone points with barbs on the inside, so that they pinch in and grip even small fish.

I was thinking, too that some eskimo harpoons are merely meant to get a rope onto the whale/fish. It is then followed until tired, when it can then be pulled alongside a boat and killed with a spear. In that case it
doesn't seem so far fetched to jump on a whale.
The deeper you go, the higher you fly.
Charlie Hatchett

Post by Charlie Hatchett »

Charlie - remember this guy? Does it match the end of your "trident"?

:D

Not so much that piece, Monk, but this following piece matches up fairly well:

http://cayman.globat.com/~bandstexas.co ... %20155.jpg

Possible Iron Artifact(s)- Lima-Igl

http://cayman.globat.com/~bandstexas.co ... %20156.jpg

Possible Iron Artifact(s)- Lima-Igl- Opposite side

I'll post some individual images of this other piece, that plausible matches up with the original piece we've been discussing.
Charlie Hatchett

PreClovis Artifacts from Central Texas
www.preclovis.com
http://forum.preclovis.com
Digit

Post by Digit »

Or necessary Stan. Think of what awaits you if you slip, would it be worth it?
Forum Monk

Post by Forum Monk »

Its well worth it Digit. Tons of meat and blubber. In the case of sperm whales, gallons of oil with lots of good uses including the ability to keep your fires going through a cold winter. Well worth it.
:wink:
Forum Monk

Post by Forum Monk »

Now it IS looking like a trident, Charley.
:)
(ok - bident)
Charlie Hatchett

Post by Charlie Hatchett »

Now it IS looking like a trident, Charley.

(ok - bident)
Maybe. It's a long shot, Monk, but just maybe. :?

The other side of the base of the non-barbed piece also appears to have another piece that has cracked off.

http://cayman.globat.com/~bandstexas.co ... %20158.jpg

Highly speculative, but certainly worth studying a bit. :wink:
Charlie Hatchett

PreClovis Artifacts from Central Texas
www.preclovis.com
http://forum.preclovis.com
Forum Monk

Post by Forum Monk »

So now I'm reviewing this thread and I'm thinking...
trident....

whaling...

bident...

whaling....

central texas....

Then my thought process just shut down.
:roll: