Deleted

Random older topics of discussion

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

stan

Post by stan »

This one is definitely man-made. Look at all those evenly placed knapmarks
as well as the shape and size. Also the fact that it is bi-facial.

The three-or four inch knives in his two hands look real for the opposite reason...if they were natural, they'd be worn down and broken up
into more compact shapes. I've seen this kind of thing presented by
archeologist on tv recently...they are knocked off a larger core and used as knives.

If you put these all in the same context, I think they add up to something, although some of the pictures are pretty ambiguous...

BTW, Charlie...ask a local doctor friend if he'll xray that iron bolt thing.
The deeper you go, the higher you fly.
Charlie Hatchett

Post by Charlie Hatchett »

deleted
Last edited by Charlie Hatchett on Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Charlie Hatchett

deleted
Last edited by Charlie Hatchett on Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

This pic

reminded me of these musket flints sold in the Dixie Gun Works catalogue.

Note the thick center tapering down to the edges. The bottom one would have two usable edges, when the first edge is dulled the flint could be reversed and put back into action in about two minutes.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

BTW, someone asked about Kentucky long rifles.

Here is a particularly fine example...also from Dixie.

Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Charlie Hatchett

deleted
Last edited by Charlie Hatchett on Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Yeah, I've got seven long guns and a cap and ball pistol but all are replicas because I do shoot them.

I'm not about to load a 200 year old barrel with gunpowder and put it next to my head and pull the trigger. One can never be sure of the state of metallurgy in those 18th century armories and who knows how well they have been cared for in the interim.

-- George Carlin
Charlie Hatchett

deleted
Last edited by Charlie Hatchett on Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

A dealer I was talking to at the range one day mentioned an interesting issue with antique weapons.

They are worth much more if they are in firing condition....however, actually firing them decreases their value!

-- George Carlin
Charlie Hatchett

deleted
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Just tell him not to go hunting with Dick Cheney.

-- George Carlin
Charlie Hatchett

deleted
Frank Harrist

Post by Frank Harrist »

Charlie Hatchett wrote:
Just tell him not to go hunting with Dick Cheney.
:wink:

....or at least take cover and shoot back. Maybe Bush will be there too.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Maybe Bush will be there too.

They'd have to pin a sign to his ass that said " I am not a quail. "

-- George Carlin
Frank Harrist

Post by Frank Harrist »

I'd shoot him anyway. :wink: