Deleted

Random older topics of discussion

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Hey, Columbus stumbled across America while looking for China. Puts you in good company.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Frank Harrist

Post by Frank Harrist »

Minimalist wrote:Hey, Columbus stumbled across America while looking for China. Puts you in good company.
If you consider Columbus good company. :roll:
Charlie Hatchett

Post by Charlie Hatchett »

deleted
Last edited by Charlie Hatchett on Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Shit...I always wanted to get lucky, too.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Charlie Hatchett

deleted
Last edited by Charlie Hatchett on Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roberto

Post by Roberto »

http://members.aol.com/artgumbus/lithic.html

Charlie, here's a reference for Mike Price for identification of Projectile Points.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

That's a useful reference site.

-- George Carlin
Charlie Hatchett

deleted
Charlie Hatchett

deleted
Last edited by Charlie Hatchett on Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Charlie Hatchett

deleted
Last edited by Charlie Hatchett on Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Looks pretty small for a spear point, Charlie (unless you have really BIIIGGG hands.) And of course there was no arrow-making at the time and they weren't supposed to know about atlatls....so.....what do you think?

-- George Carlin
Charlie Hatchett

deleted
Last edited by Charlie Hatchett on Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cognito

Lancelet

Post by Cognito »

Looks pretty small for a spear point, Charlie (unless you have really BIIIGGG hands.) And of course there was no arrow-making at the time and they weren't supposed to know about atlatls....so.....what do you think?

Yeah, I think, because it's not symmetrical, it was probably used as a knife.

Overall, though, I think sizes of projectile points changed with climatic changes, and ultimately the local game available for food. It's weird though, because the Hueyatlaco unifacial points are small, but they were found in mammoth remains
Hey Charley, that 2.5" point is a paleo lancelet point. I have a beautiful one in my collection that was made from chalcedony. I have to agree that they were used as knives since arrowheads and atlatls were not in use at that time. I'll get you a pic as soon as the batteries on my camera are recharged ... they fell victim to a soccer game.
Natural selection favors the paranoid
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Yeah, I think, because it's not symmetrical, it was probably used as a knife.

That's not a knife..... THIS

is a knife!

-- George Carlin
Cognito

Knife

Post by Cognito »

OK, a diminutive knife already! :shock:
Natural selection favors the paranoid