Inteligent Design

Random older topics of discussion

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Post by Guest »

Why are you talking about astronomy on an archaeology forum
it is all part of the topic. remember that archaeology embraces many disciplines and is not limited to just digging in the earth.
archaeology clearly disproves the god of the bible
actually archaeology has never disproven the Bible and if it wasn't for the theorizing and bias that goes on, you would have a lot more proof for the Bible.

what can't be proven archaeologically is evolution as there are no ancient records, or artifacts that support such a theory. there are ancient records and artifacts that do support the Bible and its accounts. thus making the Bible relevant to an archaeological forum and eliminating evolution.
marduk

Post by marduk »

actually archaeology has never disproven the Bible and if it wasn't for the theorizing and bias that goes on, you would have a lot more proof for the Bible.
so is it archaeology or biblical truth that uncovered tablets from Sumeria that contain most of the elements of the old testament except of course with Sumerian gods in the title role and with sumerian ideologies instead of Hebrew ones
clearly archaeology has proven the babylonian captivity happned under Nebuchadrezzar and reveals the source for most of the information contained in the Pentuteuch was taken from the library of Nineveh and not as biblical scholars claimed dictated by god To moses.
at the time that is claimed to have happened the language of Hebrew didn't actually exist so its a bit difficult (thats something else that archaeology has proven illiterate israelites before 1100bce)

love the way that Jonah makes it to Nineveh from the coast in 24 hours a distance of 800 miles whereas it takes moses 40 years to cover the same distance to israel from the red sea
you know the Library of Nineveh didn't have a geography department dontcha ?
:twisted:

Archaeology has also uncovered quite a few large buildings in egypt known as P-Y-R-A-M-I-D-S which apparently the israelites who claim to have been slaves there for over 400 years completely failed to mention
can't but help go on about Ziggurats though can they
so where do you think they were when they wrote that biblical fiction ?
:lol:
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

clearly archaeology has proven the babylonian captivity happned under Nebuchadrezzar and reveals the source for most of the information contained in the Pentuteuch was taken from the library of Nineveh and not as biblical scholars claimed dictated by god To moses.

This is starting to sound like Thompson, Davies and Lemche!
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
marduk

Post by marduk »

if it is its entirely coincedental as i am not familiar with their research
just my own which isnt based on anything but the source
:lol:
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

The 'true' minimalist school holds that the bible is a work of fiction concocted during the Hellenistic era after the Babylonian captivity.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
marduk

Post by marduk »

well it was a little before then.

http://web.utk.edu/~giles/
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

The Assyrians replaced much of the population of the Israelite northern kingdom with settlers from other parts of the Assyrian empire. They also reduced the kingdom of Judah to vassal status and they did quite well economically...for a while.

The Babylonians overran Judah and deported a significant part of the population back to Babylon without bringing anyone else in.

They were later released by the Persians and allowed to return home.

Curiously, I am unaware of the bible ever suggesting that Judah subsequently occupied the northern kingdom which was, by now, filled with all sorts of pagans who the Assyrians brought in and who never seem to have left. Certainly, the Persians, who controlled both areas would not have allowed their provinces to war upon each other and when the Persians were knocked about by Alexander there is a pretty firm historical record of who controlled the area right down to the present.

Kind of makes one wonder how "Jewish" the area of Galilee actually was when the Jesus stories started.

-- George Carlin

Post by Guest »

getting back on topic... i have used the examples of astrophysicists because this topic is about orgins and they discuss and study origins in their work along with the fact that the book is entitled 'origins' which fits the topic.

i will have more quotes later and i am sure the scientist's fields will change as well.

Post by Guest »

i was reading through the hall of maat when i came across a topic about dr. dino, a.k.a. kent hovind who has been mentioned here i believe. a so called evangelist who opposes evolution and has a inistry dedicated to refuting it.

let's just say i was disgusted at what the results of his life as he has been arressted for tax related violations along with other charges. here is a copy of a letter i sent to him, soyou know my side ofit while you read the news articles:
i am wondering about the recent arrest and charges that have been laid against you.

how does that look to the non-religious community?

it certainly has made me sad that you have carried this so far and made a mockery of God's name.

humbleness goes a long ways and paying for a few building permits would not have hindered your work. paying taxes would not have hindered your work

but now you have tainted christiandom again, making it harder for real christians to get their work done.

you have been nothing but selfish, thinking only of yourselves and what you want to do not caring what your actions do to others of the christian faith.

repent of your sinful ways and fall on your knees honestly seeking God's mercy even though you do not deserve it.
i am deeply saddened and angered by this turn of events and it is people like him who undermine anything the Bible has to offer. if non-believers were sophisticated enough to separate the bad eggs from the good ones maybe my saddness and anger would not be so deep.
marduk

Post by marduk »

if non-believers were sophisticated enough to separate the bad eggs from the good ones maybe my saddness and anger would not be so deep.
If christians making statements didn't make such stupid generalisations about non believers then maybe you'd realise you were wrong
:cry:
tj

Post by tj »

Hovind's tax troubles aren't the thing that makes 'it hard on Christians to do their work' or makes the religious community look bad to non-believers. It's the utterly retarded stuff that comes out of his mouth that is the problem.

Non-believers are plenty sophisticated to separate the eggs. Don't fool yourself.
Now, what's the difference between an invisible, incorporeal floating dragon that spits heatless fire and no dragon at all? - Sagan
marduk

Post by marduk »

"Hurricane Katrina has brought to the nation’s attention the plight of the poor in America. While Jesse Jackson and other liberals attempt to blame poverty on racism and the President and other republicans look to throw money at the problem, few are discussing who and what are really to blame for the root cause of poverty in America.

The issue is not racism but anti-Christian bigotry on the part of the ACLU, the NEA, the DNC and Barry Lynn and his group, Americans United for the Separation of Church and State. The sad stories of the poor should be laid at the feet of the liberal, anti-God “intellectual elite” known as the secular left. "
Brannon Howse
anti christians killed 6000 people

"I believe that the tsunami is a warning. A warning from God to reflect deeply on the way we lead our lives. We are too hurried today. We are rushing here, rushing there. Everything is a façade. There are lots of cracks and undulating things in our lives. A disaster like this is a word from God to think about those cracks and smoothen them out. We are filling our lives with so much that there is little place for god. In moments of grave crisis, we remember God and we should also think how to put him back in the primary position in our lives."
Catholic Bishop of Port Blair
anti christians killed 300,000

Twenty-two people were killed today and at least 140 injured when a church roof collapsed near Sao Paulo, local radio reported.
CBN radio said the roof of the Universal Church collapsed at about 2 A.M. in Osasco, a suburb south of here. A firefighter in Osasco said that there were deaths in the accident but could not confirm the number. He said up to 500 people may have been injured.
The firefighter said that more than 500 people were packed in the church for a late-night service when the roof collapsed as beams gave way.
God killed 22

he's a rank amateur compared to these anti christians isn't he
:twisted:
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

There's nothing new in christian preachers making incredibly stupid statements, marduk....

AIDS is not just God's punishment for homosexuals; it is God's punishment for the society that tolerates homosexuals.
-- Jerry Falwell
“(re: 9/11 attacks) "...throwing God out of the public square, out of the schools, the abortionists have got to bear some burden for this because God will not be mocked and when we destroy 40 million little innocent babies, we make God mad...I really believe that the pagans and the abortionists and the feminists and the gays and the lesbians who are actively trying to make that an alternative lifestyle, the ACLU, People for the American Way, all of them who try to secularize America...I point the thing in their face and say you helped this happen."”
Jerry Falwell
"You know, I don't know about this doctrine of assassination, but if he thinks we're trying to assassinate him, I think that we really ought to go ahead and do it. It's a whole lot cheaper than starting a war ... We have the ability to take him out, and I think the time has come that we exercise that ability. We don't need another $200 billion war to get rid of one, you know, strong-arm dictator. It's a whole lot easier to have some of the covert operatives do the job and then get it over with." –Pat Robertson, calling for the assassination of Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez
But your point is well taken.

-- George Carlin
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

A few moments after posting the above I took a look at the front page of the local paper. There (must be one of those 'miracles') was this story.

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepubli ... a0725.html
Guilty verdicts cap Baptist case

Michael Kiefer
The Arizona Republic
Jul. 25, 2006 12:00 AM

Two former executives of the Baptist Foundation of Arizona were convicted Monday of fraud and racketeering related to the foundation's 1999 collapse, ending a 10-month trial.

It has been called the largest "affinity fraud" ever: More than 11,000 investors, many of them elderly Baptists who thought their investments would yield high interest rates while helping to do the Lord's work, lost more than $550 million.

-- George Carlin

Post by Guest »

A few moments after posting the above I took a look at the front page of the local paper. There (must be one of those 'miracles') was this story
i was living in arizona when that story broke, took a long time to bring that one to trial.
If christians making statements didn't make such stupid generalisations about non believers then maybe you'd realise you were wrong
judging from my experience and the reactions i get from non-believers it is hard not to make a generalization. hopefully i will see a difference in the posts here then.