mayan calendar and 2012

Random older topics of discussion

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

mayan calendar and 2012

Post by Guest »

thanks to marduk for hunting down that link and sending it to me and it got me thinking of what do we know about the mayan calendar and the predicted catatrophe of 2012.

knowing that the spanairds destroyed a majority of ancient mayan documents, what information do we have left tha sheds light on this topic?
marduk

Post by marduk »

the mayans didn't predict any catastrophie in 2012
they just predicted that they'd need a new calendar
:lol:
when you think about it logically how would they know anyway
they didn't see the end of their own civilisation did they
not exactly a great providence for a race who allegedly can predict our end is it

Post by Guest »

maybe they were just like everyone else and thought that their existence wasn't going to be affected by world events.
marduk

Post by marduk »

its not world events when you base a destruction on a precessional calendar
its calendrical events
and they don't tie in with nature at any point except for the movements of distant points of light in the sky that are too far away to affect us even if they all blew up at once
we celebrate the end of the year on december the 31st
the rest of nature doesn't
especially not the turkeys
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

http://www.greatdreams.com/end-world.htm

The Mayan calendar is divided into Seven Ages of Man. The fourth epoch ended in August 1987. The Mayan calendar comes to an end on Sunday, December 23, 2012. Only a few people will survive the catastrophe that ensues. In the fifth age, humanity will realize its spiritual destiny. In the sixth age, we will realize God within ourselves, and in the seventh age we will become so spiritual that we will be telepathic.

It's really no more idiotic than the Book of Revelations, and blessedly shorter!
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin

Post by Guest »

is that all there is to it? any other information?
marduk

Post by marduk »

It's really no more idiotic than the Book of Revelations, and blessedly shorter!
is that all there is to it? any other information?
yeah
the rest of the bible is fabricated as well
:twisted:
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

the rest of the bible is fabricated as well
A concoction of stories stolen from older cultures (not only Sumeria) and overlaid with a veneer of Jewish moralizing.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
marduk

Post by marduk »

the old testament was entirely fabricated from tales from mesopotamia
every story that isn't derived directly from a sumerian story is actually set in the country with one exception
the Exodus for which there is not a shred of evidence and of which all the details required were on display at the library of nineveh which was staffed by semites
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

The Ark of the Covenant is a pretty lame rip off of the Egyptian Apet festival.

The Exodus story is, at best, a dim recollection of the Canaanite domination of Egypt as the Hyksos....from whence they were unceremoniously evicted by Ahmose I.

The northern kingdom tendency to refer to god as "El" was copied from the Canaanite deity. There are probably others but it hardly seems worthwhile to look them up....folklore being what it is.

-- George Carlin
marduk

Post by marduk »

"El" is the canaanite version of the Akaadian word "Dagan"
Theres this famous Akkadian king called "Icme Dagan"
in Hebrew thats pronounced "Ishme"
http://www.answers.com/ishmael&r=67
he lived in the city of Isin
his father Iddin Dagan always lamented the destruction of Ur which wasn't rebuilt until chaldean times almost a thousand years later
Iddin means "pure water", in Hebrew that is "AB.RA"
His father was also called in several texts, the En.lil
the symbol of Enlil was the bird
in Akkadian that is called "HAMN"

now where do these Hebrews get their ideas from
buggered if I know eh
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

If Finkelstein is correct and the bible dates primarily from the Josiah period, then it would seem that most of their ideas were lifted from the Canaanites.

Now, Canaan had been settled for a long time and certainly they had contact with Sumeria so it's not a stretch to see that Early and Middle Bronze Age Canaan could have (and probably were) influenced by Sumeria, and then by extension those Sumerian tales ended up in the Canaanite tales which the bible plagiarized.

Of course, if Thompson/Davies/Lemche are right and the whole thing was concocted after the Babylonian exile then the image of Judahites leafing through through the Nineveh library looking for a good yarn makes a lot of sense.

And, finally..... :wink:

if Arch is right then the Sumerians got THEIR ideas from the Hebrews...but that really does seem like the least plausible argument, doesn't it!

-- George Carlin
marduk

Post by marduk »

if Arch is right then the Sumerians got THEIR ideas from the Hebrews...but that really does seem like the least plausible argument, doesn't it!
if Arch is right he needs to provide evidence of the Hebrews Time travel technology
so far he hasn't managed to provide evidence of their wooden plank boat technology so i'm not holding out much hope
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

so i'm not holding out much hope

No....I wouldn't hold your breath, if I were you.

-- George Carlin

Post by Guest »

how about common sense---something many people nowadays ahve forgotten to use----

Noah & his family survive the flood via the Biblical account, what is the natural thing to do---they tell their children,l grandchildren and great children and so on then these listeners do the same.

since Noah and his family precede the disporia they also precede the sumerians, the akkadians and so on tus making the Biblical account the oldest account of all.

then since nimrod and his followers were one people at the time, they would have had the flood account at the time of the dispersal and with the language change and separation people followed what they believed and the Biblical account got changed according to what each individual society believed as it was told and re-told over and over again.

finally it gets written down, there is the true biblical account and all the myths that have come into being since the separation. (we know the possibility of this change in stories happening as it has been experimented withover and over again in the modern age)

then over time as civilizations change, mss. and tablets get buried, lost broken while some remain in oral tradition until they are re-discovered in the modern age and 'dated' according to the methods of that time, whether right or wrong with assumptions being made as some myths have more evidence than others.

it is not hard to see the credibility of this option