Nebra disc

Random older topics of discussion

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Frank Harrist

Post by Frank Harrist »

I'll bet it was a grave. That's the type of stuff you'd find in a grave. Damn looters! They screw up everything. Of course the artifacts probably never would have been found if they hadn't found them, so it has it's trade-offs I guess. Considering that I said this was an un-interesting artifact, I sure seem to have a lot to say about it. Ok, I changed my mind. It's more interesting than I thought.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Ok, I changed my mind

Puts you way ahead of Bush on the evolutionary scale, Frank!
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Frank Harrist

Post by Frank Harrist »

Minimalist wrote:
Ok, I changed my mind

Puts you way ahead of Bush on the evolutionary scale, Frank!
I was already way ahead of him. Hell, a retarded ape is ahead of him.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Quote:
Ok, I changed my mind
Frank, I think that initially I was more interested than you, but the article itself was not all that inspiring.

When I read a related article, it really did seem to take on the aura of a mystery. This could be, I think, a very meaningful artifact but I'm suspecting that it is "out of place".

The period in which it is dated is probably close but I don't have a lot of confidence that it was found in situ.

So, to me, the mystery.
Starflower

Post by Starflower »

So I was looking for something else today and found this article about the disc. Since one of the dates for the article is my birthday I knew I had to post it.

http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,214 ... 98,00.html

And then of course they have figured the whole thing out
The sky disc of Nebra was used to determine if and when a thirteenth month -- the so-called intercalary month -- should be added to a lunar year to keep the lunar calendar in sync with the seasons.
They must have found the missing instruction manual :wink: I just wanted to post something not on the top four threads. :roll:
It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
-- Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World

"Give us the timber or we'll go all stupid and lawless on your butts". --Redcloud, MTF
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Happy Birthday, Star.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Starflower

Post by Starflower »

I thought the cake was especially appropriate :lol:
It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.

"Give us the timber or we'll go all stupid and lawless on your butts". --Redcloud, MTF

Post by Guest »

happy birthday. what cake?
Frank Harrist

Post by Frank Harrist »

There's cake? :shock:
Starflower

There's cake?

Post by Starflower »

Halfway down the page above the caption reading:
A slice of prehistory for romantic sky gazers
The guy in the chef's hat is holding it. A little virtual cake for the party.

Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

-- George Carlin

Post by Guest »

did we have to bring gifts? i've got some lint in my pocket,will that do?
stan

Post by stan »

We are in the thirteenth month now?
:shock: I never thought I'd live to see it.
Starflower, does that mean you are 6000 years old? :)
The deeper you go, the higher you fly.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

http://www.zaur.com/aboutme/virgo_traits.htm
They are still waters that run deep
Your Birthday?! Enjoy and many happy returns. :D
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Hello Starflower, I hope you had a great birthday. :)

I actually read your horoscope thing after I posted it for you. I don't know how old you are but can you remember when these things only said great glowing things about someone?

I checked my own horoscope on this site and it makes me sound like an emotional basketcase. (does that mean that all the people posting in the Jesus threads are my sun sign?) Help me Jesus!

So anyway, I hope it was good. 8)