More Archaeology

Random older topics of discussion

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

stan

Post by stan »

There's a flood of new stuff being dug up everywhere, faster than we can assimilate it. Not only the finds themselves, but their ramifications, and then on top of that, new techniques such as:::

The business of dating by starch grains.... :shock:
The deeper you go, the higher you fly.
Cognito

Dating

Post by Cognito »

The business of dating by starch grains....
Yes Stan, I agree. There are some starch grains discovered in one of my cubboards that look ancient and need to be dated. I also found an apple in my daughter's backpack that appears to be petrified.
Natural selection favors the paranoid
marduk

Post by marduk »

whats that
are you sure its not a typo and wasn't supposed to say dating by "grass stains"
:lol:
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

http://www.chnpress.com/news/?section=2&id=7007
Turkish Daily News, 19 February 2007-- The partially submerged Liman Tepe, a major Early Bronze Age harbor town located in Izmir’s Urla district, possesses the world’s oldest breakwater, said archaeologist Professor Hayat Erkanal during a press conference last week. Breakwaters, an important part of modern nautical life worldwide, are constructed on or near coastal areas as a defense from incoming waters that protects ships as well as land from harsh weather and high tides.
From the News Section.
stan

Post by stan »

I once dated a starchy girl.
The deeper you go, the higher you fly.
Forum Monk

Post by Forum Monk »

stan wrote:I once dated a starchy girl.
:lol:
Too much information!
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

http://www.novinite.com/view_news.php?id=77114
Bulgarian archaeologists announce on Thursday they have made an incredible discovery in the Perperikon area, an ancient living region of Thracians.

The archaeologists said last summer they discovered the missing link in Thracian's history. They have found evidence for the transition from the late Bronze epoch to the early Iron epoch.

At the end of the Bronze epoch, as a result of cataclysms a global system is destroyed. Scientists call the system "East Mediterranean Civilization". After its end, there came the so called "dark ages" - a period, who until recent was a mystery for archaeologists.

According to Associate Professor of ancient history Krassimir Leshtakov, during the "dark ages" Thracian tribes have lived peacefully, thus creating a highly developed civilization. Finally, the world can see the "fruits" of this civilization at Perperikon.
7,000 yr.old temples found around Europe is not new news. It's very interesting actually. and I look forward to the study being published.
But the newest one, found in Bulgaria, is getting some different press.
The Bulgarian scientists are acting as if it's a purely Bulgarian civilization, and putting quite a spin on it. That's how it seems to me anyway.

From Archaeologica News.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070302/ap_ ... e_statue_4
THESSALONIKI, Greece - A 2,200-year-old statue of the goddess Hera has been found in a wall of a city under Mount Olympus, mythical home of Greece's ancient gods, archaeologists announced Thursday.
News of a statue of Hera - mother of Herakles/Heracles/Hercules.
From the News Section.
Keyvanrahmadi

Post by Keyvanrahmadi »

Its such a shame that the only area of arhaeology i am interested i cant actually get in involved in UK :cry: but reading the web site news, it seems that there has been a sudden explosion of people digging up every where and finding things, even in Iran there has been a masive archaeological activity. I just hope the goverment there suddenly dosent decided to flood the area :x
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Actually, I kind of hope that our government doesn't decide to carpet bomb the area.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Keyvanrahmadi

Post by Keyvanrahmadi »

Minimalist wrote:Actually, I kind of hope that our government doesn't decide to carpet bomb the area.
I really wouldnt worry about that, he wouldn't dare :) and i think you will find that there are not that many people there who actually even think about that kind of attack.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Then they should look at Iraq.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Cognito

Bush

Post by Cognito »

Then they should look at Iraq.
Hopefully, Bush is done with his overseas adventures and he will hold off on any more critical foreign policy decisions until a different administration takes over. Unfortunately, we Yanks may not get anything better. :shock:
Natural selection favors the paranoid
Forum Monk

Post by Forum Monk »

The saber rattling and rhetoric on both sides is disturbing. Let's hope it stays status quo.

Although, I catch rumblings very similar to what I heard before Iraq. Slowly building a case, I think. I suppose Washington wants it in their hip pocket just in case Bush does decide to act unilaterally.

:(
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

http://www.ekathimerini.com/4dcgi/news/ ... ?aid=80736
A 7,300-year-old home with a timber floor, remnants of food supplies and blackberry seeds are among the findings in a Neolithic settlement near the lakes of Vegoritis, Petres, Heimatitida and Zazari. Garments, women’s fashions and burial customs in northern Eordaia 3,000 years ago are coming to light among the hundreds of funeral offerings in a forgotten necropolis dating from the Iron Age in western Macedonia.
More on European oldest civilization. If this keeps up I'll have to revive that old thread. :wink: