Archaeology in China

Random older topics of discussion

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

oldarchystudent

Archaeology in China

Post by oldarchystudent »

Or Zimbabwe, Wales, Bolivia or anyplace that has minimal chance of deteriorating into yet another biblical debate PLEASE!
My karma ran over my dogma.
Starflower

Post by Starflower »

So how about Peru? I liked the idea of these ancient people burying their dogs with treats for the afterlife.
http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?articl ... anID=sa003

I hope they get the breed recognized by the kennel club.
"In other cultures, dogs were sacrificed. But here the dog's burial contemplated an afterlife because in some cases it was wrapped in cloths and buried along with food in a cemetery for humans," said anthropologist Sonia Guillen, adding that such treatment of pets was only seen before in ancient Egypt
It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
-- Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World

"Give us the timber or we'll go all stupid and lawless on your butts". --Redcloud, MTF
bandit

Post by bandit »

Michelle posted this in the news back on the 23rd. Goes right along with yours Starflower.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/5374748.stm
Donna

Post by Donna »

Starflower,
I read the article about the dogs. I've often wondered what people in the future might think when they find pet cemeteries?
Donna
Donna

Post by Donna »

OAS,
Wales is one of those places that appeals to me for no known reason except for the reading I've done about the 2 Llewelyn's. I really admire both of them and nearly croak when I see the current Prince of Wales. Somehow he just doesn't seem to be in the same league with them.
From different histories I've read apparently the Archers from Wales were in high demand. I don't know if this is true or not but I did read that the first time the English used drawing and quartering was on the brother of Llewelyn the last the nephew of Llewelyn the Great. Like I say I admire the Llewelyn's but probably would have picked Edward in a fight.
Donna

Post by Guest »

china is busy trying to dig up their past but it is hard to know when they exaggerate their finds and when they don't. nationalism plays a very big role in the orient and building the national pride means bending the truth a little.
oldarchystudent

archaeologist wrote: building the national pride means bending the truth a little.
Unfortunately that has happened a number of times. Hitler had a lot of archaeologists running around trying to prove that the Aryan race were superior. A good thing twisted to a bad purpose.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Naive to think that science could exist independently of the poltical world. That's where the money comes from.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
oldarchystudent

Minimalist wrote:Naive to think that science could exist independently of the poltical world. That's where the money comes from.
I don't expect it, I just wish. But yeah, this is how you get researhers saying that cigarettes don't make you sick. Again - twisted to meet somebody's needs, political or industrial.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

oldarchystudent wrote:
Minimalist wrote:Naive to think that science could exist independently of the poltical world. That's where the money comes from.
I don't expect it, I just wish. But yeah, this is how you get researhers saying that cigarettes don't make you sick. Again - twisted to meet somebody's needs, political or industrial.

Or....as happened just the other day.

http://thinkprogress.org/2006/09/19/bus ... urricanes/
Rep. Henry Waxman (D-CA), ranking member on the Government Reform Committee, has just released a series of emails from the Department of Commerce that suggest that Bush officials “tried to suppress a federal scientist from discussing the link between global warming and hurricanes.”

Can't upset the oil companies now, can we?
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin

Post by Guest »

Or Zimbabwe, Wales, Bolivia or anyplace that has minimal chance of deteriorating into yet another biblical debate PLEASE!
the following is not a hijacking but an illustration that no matter where you go, the Bible is related to other countries as well. i am doing this as an example and will not be pursuing any discussion that would turn this thread into a religious debate:

http://www.denverseminary.edu/dj/articles2002/0100/0105
The entire volume is dedicated to putting biblical themes and passages into conversation with Chinese perspectives and issues
oldarchystudent

archaeologist wrote:
the following is not a hijacking but an illustration that no matter where you go, the Bible is related to other countries as well. i am doing this as an example and will not be pursuing any discussion that would turn this thread into a religious debate:

http://www.denverseminary.edu/dj/articles2002/0100/0105
The entire volume is dedicated to putting biblical themes and passages into conversation with Chinese perspectives and issues
I'm glad we are not going to pursue discussion. Good call. It would be acrimonious.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Yeo Khiok-khng, Assistant Professor of New Testament Interpretation at Garrett-Evangelical Seminary,

Tells one all one needs to know.

-- George Carlin

Post by Guest »

Yep, those Asians are often great scholars, we agree on something min.