The news page

Random older topics of discussion

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

stan

Post by stan »

A farmer who "doesn't know shit."
That is discouraging.

You can buy some very yummy "free-range" chicken over here in the supermarkets.
You know about crop rotation...well some folks
are practicing livestock rotation. I think it's a three-way change involving chickens and cattle and then maybe some sort of crop.
Anyhow the chickens eat bugs and weeds and so on, and they really do taste good (the chickens, I mean!)
The deeper you go, the higher you fly.
Digit

Post by Digit »

Again Stan, yes we used to practisea a similar regime. It is taking a long time for people to understand that the only long term sustainable form of farming is what we know as 'mixed farming'. Some of the do gooders here would love to see everybody living as Vegans, without understanding that farming based on mineral fertilisers is a dead end and that animals are need to maintain soil fertility, then they pay heavily for organic vegetables fertilised with animal manures!
The tradional English orchard was, and still is, planted with trees grafted onto 'standard' type root stocks and so producing a sizeable tree, under which sheep, hens, and pigs could be grazed, and their droppings fed the trees, a closed and self sustaining system. Fruit produced in this manner attracts a price premium and veggie types pay the price whilst condemning animal husbandry.
It's a funny old world. Pass the pork pie.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/ ... 79167.html
Sea levels were lower when modern humans set off around the coast from Africa more than 70,000 years ago. People who made it to the large South-East Asian land mass known as Sunda, however, still had to cross deep ocean channels to get to Australia, then joined to Papua New Guinea in a continent called Sahul
From todays newspage:
Digit

Post by Digit »

If the 'small brained Hobbits' survived on Flores till 12000 years ago and were wiped out, as I've read by vulcanism, what advantage a larger brain for survival. Makes you wonder how we got here at all!
marduk

Post by marduk »

alas poor Flores
I knew him Horatio
:lol:
Digit

Post by Digit »

'Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?'
marduk

Post by marduk »

a fellow of infinite jest, but most finite height
:lol:
Digit

Post by Digit »

So I can't help being a short arse, sorry, vertically challenged.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

http://www.abc.net.au/science/news/stor ... 817039.htm
Turiasaurus riodevensis, named after the region and village in Spain where it was found, lived about 145 million years ago, the research team reports today in the journal Science
Hot off the press of Archaeologica News:
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Turiasaurus rivals the size of the largest known dinosaurs, all sauropods, and its remains were more complete than those of many of them.

Arch would be telling us about the "few bones" theory.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Cognito

Archie

Post by Cognito »

Arch would be telling us about the "few bones" theory.
And of course, those bones cannot really be much more that 6,000 years old! :shock:

Alright, Beags and Min. We'll need to slap you up the side of the head for blasphemy with Archie's bible. That should straighten you out ... if not, you'll be referred to the Inquisition. Confess and we'll burn you at the stake. Convert and we'll garrote you (or was that vice versa?). Choose your poison, you heathens!! :twisted:

For those of you who don't know about garroting, it was one of the preferred methods for disposing of native americans by the Spaniards as tolerated by the Catholic Church:

Place an iron collar around the next and then twist away until the person suffocates, neck breaks, or both. Looks like fun, eh?
Natural selection favors the paranoid
Digit

Post by Digit »

Perhaps we should bring it back!
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

For those of you who don't know about garroting, it was one of the preferred methods for disposing of native americans by the Spaniards as tolerated by the Catholic Church

Praise Jesus!
Last edited by Minimalist on Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Digit

Post by Digit »

As it doesn't spill blood. I'm sure the victims were most appreciative, don't you think? Yet Jesus strongly condemned hypocrisy would you believe?
Cognito

Praise Jesus

Post by Cognito »

As it doesn't spill blood. I'm sure the victims were most appreciative, don't you think? Yet Jesus strongly condemned hypocrisy would you believe?
Burning at the stake was probably a lot less messy, but if you keep doing that how do you feed the dogs? Using a garrote was better since the dogs could be fed without potential harm and fresh corpses don't scream while being eaten. You only need to have natives eaten alive while making examples to others. After all, that's the Christian way. :roll:
Natural selection favors the paranoid