And...what? People Are just

Random older topics of discussion

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Roxanne

chachapoyas

Post by Roxanne »

I agree that "white" is really a subjective term. However, I would be interested to know if DNA was recovered and if it fits in as one of the haplogroups found in native americans or if it fit in another motif. I realize that DNA is not proof positive of anything but it would surely give us more information than we have now about their possible origins.

Seems like originally there was some discussion about a different architectural style and different burial practices than those of the Incas.

Can't help but hope it tests out to be a haplogroup found primarily in Finland just because of all the consternation it would cause. Gotta love a mystery. :)
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

We love mysteries here. :) . There is no DNA testing that I know of. But if there was and it was consistent with a European origin, it would have made headlines.

The Spanish give a good description of them. However they do not mention hair or eye color. If any of them were blond headed and had blue eyes I feel like the Spanish would have mentioned it.

More from Wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chachapoyas_culture
Roxanne

chachapoyas

Post by Roxanne »

Thanks! I'll keep poking around the web to see if any results are posted.
It would be more interesting if the results were odd (European) but either way it would be good to know.

As I was poking around earlier today I did find a site that mentioned a high incidence of albinoism in the Lacandon Maya with the requisite picture of a blonde mayan baby. Perhaps as was mentioned earlier the Chachapoyas also had a high rate of albinoism.