Oh Christ!!

Random older topics of discussion

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

ravenwing5910 wrote:Min, I would really like to see it, hopefully I can get that pando thing to work. I dumped it and will try to reload.

All Pando will do is get you the file. Your machine has to be able to play the video. I'll send it. Will take a while to edit out the commercials and get the files down to reasonable size. The good news is that the last "patch" they put out seemed to work a lot better.

Of course, if it plays other videos it should be able to handle this. Can you play DVDs on your machine?
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
ravenwing5910

Post by ravenwing5910 »

Yeah I have no problem playing videos, dvds, just couldn't get that last one that you sent with pando to do anything. Have no idea why. :?

but will certainly keep trying. wish we got national geographic channel on our cable
Forum Monk

Post by Forum Monk »

Did you download the Media player classic from the link I posted earlier?
ravenwing5910

Post by ravenwing5910 »

Oh, I know I downloaded a different media player, I will double check and make sure it is the classic version. (does that one play the .vob files?) :?
Forum Monk

Post by Forum Monk »

Yes
I had to use it as well.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Pando is working steadily (if not spectacularly fast.) I'm at 80% of the first one transmitted.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

I'll start downloading mine now and see if I mess you up. :P
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

First is done, second has begun.

I decided not to try two uploads at once this time.

-- George Carlin
ravenwing5910

Post by ravenwing5910 »

TA DAAAA!!

Got it, and even though my media player wont do anything with it, my realplayer is running it just fine.

So Min, any chance you could resend a the prehist_american again, I can't find it now. :oops:

And Thanks :D
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Well, I have to reward such diligence!

-- George Carlin
Forum Monk

Post by Forum Monk »

From Anderson Cooper's new series of reports on CNN this week:

Commentary of Dr. Francis Collins, MD; PhD; Director of the Human Genome Research Institute:
I had always assumed that faith was based on purely emotional and irrational arguments, and was astounded to discover, initially in the writings of the Oxford scholar C.S. Lewis and subsequently from many other sources, that one could build a very strong case for the plausibility of the existence of God on purely rational grounds. My earlier atheist's assertion that "I know there is no God" emerged as the least defensible. As the British writer G.K. Chesterton famously remarked, "Atheism is the most daring of all dogmas, for it is the assertion of a universal negative."

But reason alone cannot prove the existence of God. Faith is reason plus revelation, and the revelation part requires one to think with the spirit as well as with the mind. You have to hear the music, not just read the notes on the page. Ultimately, a leap of faith is required.
http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/04/03/collin ... index.html
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Here was a person with remarkably strong historical evidence of his life,
Those being????????????????

-- George Carlin
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

I found an interesting article.

By way of background, poor old Arch clings to apologist scholars to explain away the contradictions in both the OT and NT and the fact that archaeology simply does not support the OT narratives. In the past he has trotted out both Kenneth Kitchen and Bryant G. Wood as scholars who support the OT narrative.

Thus, it was with some degree of humor that I found this article in which Wood blasts Kitchen on the subject of the exodus.

http://www.etsjets.org/jets/journal/48/ ... 9_JETS.pdf
The result is an artificial format that does not correspond to the reality of the biblical texts. Kitchen has merely manipulated the biblical data to support his preconceived conclusion as to when the exodus took place.

Poor Arch. Whatever will he do? I can see Fox creating a new show:

When Bible Thumpers Attack!

-- George Carlin
Forum Monk

Post by Forum Monk »

Actually I enjoyed the article.

For some reason it seems intent on discrediting Kitchen's alleged insistence in adhering to a 13th century chronology for the exodus. But on the otherhand gives credible reasons to support an earlier chronology which I also support. In fact, I believe a 16th century exodus was more the possibility than 1446.

In case, Min, thanks for the post.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Wood's problem is that the destruction layers he cites are more logically attributable to the campaigns of the Pharoah Ahmose I and his successors who evicted the Hyksos (Canaanites) from Egypt and chased them back into Canaan. The results of these campaign led to 4 centuries of Egyptian hegemony over Canaan. History tells us that of Ahmose's successors only his immediate successor, Amenhotep I, seems to have not paid much attention to Canaan. The implication of that is that the area had been pretty well smashed and was not perceived as a threat for a while.

-- George Carlin