Observed Evolution!

Random older topics of discussion

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Observed Evolution!

Post by Minimalist »

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,227572,00.html
TOKYO — Japanese researchers said Sunday that a bottlenose dolphin captured last month has an extra set of fins that could be the remains of back legs, a discovery that may provide further evidence that ocean-dwelling mammals once lived on land.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin

Post by Guest »

why would a mutation or a defect automatically be subscribed to evolution? all they have is a extra set of fins, they observed nothing. there was no process to observe all they have is butkus and are trying to turn it into something.

talk about grasping at straws. this isn't proof. these faity tales are the reason i avoid all evolutionary threads now.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Because people who know what they are talking about, said so.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin

Post by Guest »

all it is is a birth defect nothing more than that. they happen all the time it is not news. plus one dolphin a case for evolution does not make.
Cognito

Post by Cognito »

Fossil remains show dolphins and whales were four-footed land animals about 50 million years ago and share the same common ancestor as hippos and deer. Scientists believe they later transitioned to an aquatic lifestyle and their hind limbs disappeared.

Though odd-shaped protrusions have been found near the tails of dolphins and whales captured in the past, researchers say this was the first time one had been found with well-developed, symmetrical fins, Hayashi said.

"I believe the fins may be remains from the time when dolphins' ancient ancestors lived on land ... this is an unprecedented discovery," Seiji Osumi, an adviser at Tokyo's Institute of Cetacean Research, said at a news conference televised Sunday.
Min, obviously Seiji Osumi doesn't know what he is talking about since the expert Archbishop Ussher proclaimed that Sunday, October 23, 4004 bce, was the beginning of the world. The bible backs it up so it cannot be any type of fairy tale, right? :?
Natural selection favors the paranoid
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Don't insult Bishop Ussher. Arch has pin-ups of him on his wall.

-- George Carlin

Post by Guest »

Though odd-shaped protrusions have been found near the tails of dolphins and whales captured in the past, researchers say this was the first time one had been found with well-developed, symmetrical fins, Hayashi said.
so birth defects happened in the past as well, it is not new or news. what is interesting is that educated men would extrapolate such natural happenings to a theory that can't be proven.
Don't insult Bishop Ussher. Arch has pin-ups of him on his wall
insult him all you want, i only have his book which was not that good anyways. i do not subscribe to the ussher school of thought as he is off by about 2-4,000 years.
Cognito

Ussher

Post by Cognito »

insult him all you want, i only have his book which was not that good anyways. i do not subscribe to the ussher school of thought as he is off by about 2-4,000 years.
You're serious ... aren't you. To state that the world was created 6-8,000 years ago is ludicrous. :roll:
Natural selection favors the paranoid
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Can't make progress on every front, Cogs.

-- George Carlin
War Arrow

Post by War Arrow »

I was going to say something here but I've decided against it.
Digit

Post by Digit »

Birth defect, mutation? When does the one become the other?
Frank Harrist

Post by Frank Harrist »

I'm no geneticist, but aren't birth defects caused by recessive genes? Aren't recessive genes remnants of previous forms of the animal in question? Hmmmmmmmm?
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

I'm not at all sure about the first question, birth defects can come from a variety of reasons but I believe the second question is true.

-- George Carlin
Digit

Post by Digit »

A birth defect would not be transferable to any offspring, a mutation could be. But as the animal is apparently deceased, short of a DNA analysis we'll never know, making this discussion rather pointless don't you think?
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

I didn't get that out of the story, digit.
The dolphin measures 8.92 feet and is about five years old, according to the museum.

Present tense and earlier they used the phrase "captured" not "killed."

Interesting point, though.

-- George Carlin