Hybrids

Random older topics of discussion

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Digit

Hybrids

Post by Digit »

Neandertal/Sapien hybrids. Were there any? Are there any?
Cognito

Hybrids

Post by Cognito »

Start here:

http://record.wustl.edu/archive/1999/04 ... rthal.html
Natural selection favors the paranoid
Digit

Post by Digit »

Thanks for the info. As I understood the subject there are/were those who who dispute the those results and the later one from Eastern Europe as well. What's your opinion?
Cognito

Peer Review

Post by Cognito »

As I understood the subject there are/were those who who dispute the those results and the later one from Eastern Europe as well. What's your opinion?
Erik Trinkaus and Alan Templeton are adamant that hybrids are staring us in the face but being ignored. They don't take peer review well, but I believe the Neanderthal Genome Project will give us answers in two years or so anyway. Human genetics is still an infant science, but my opinion ... speculation ... is that HSS interbred with HSN and produced some viable offspring; however genetic drift makes current analysis inconclusive. I will put my $20 on a few remaining HSN alleles showing up within the next couple of years. It is also my explanation for not being the #1 masters sprinter in my US age group this year ... HSN genetics slows me down too much. :roll: My best chance for the gold might be to characteristically beat the crap out of the guy next to me before sprinting, but the USATF still considers that a DQ event. :evil:
Digit

Post by Digit »

I don't believe it! It's taken me 50 years to find someone who holds a similar view to myself. I was once asked not to attend any further lectures at a London venue because my views were seen as heretical.
But I fear the proof may be more difficult to find than you fear, a report I saw some months ago stated that no trace of the Moorish ancestry could currently found, even at the DNA level, in modern Spanish people. It would appear if that is so that some genes must be lost over time.
Cognito

Speculation

Post by Cognito »

Remember, we are only sharing duties on the GOOD SHIP SPECULATION at this point. Until definitive DNA evidence is discovered, we won't make port. :shock:
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

http://www.archaeologyinfo.com/homosapiens.htm

This article has some good discussion about hybrids around the world. It's a long article and the part that is of specific interest is about half way down the page.
Barracuda

Post by Barracuda »

I am 5'9" tall with a 26" inseam, a 44" chest, a 17" neck, a very pronounced occipital dome, and a jaw you could break rocks on!

Did I mention I can trace my family roots back to a locale near the Neander Valley?

What do you think?
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Did I mention I can trace my family roots back to a locale near the Neander Valley?

Was Cheney your neighbor?
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

What do you think?
I bet you can really fly in that kayak. :wink:
Sam Salmon

Post by Sam Salmon »

Anyone who had ridden public transit late @ night knows the truth....

(sorry couldn't resist)
Cognito

Another Hybrid

Post by Cognito »

Another potential hybrid in the woodpile:

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/botren ... tid=208740
Digit

Post by Digit »

My thanks to both Cognito and Beagle. Having just joined this forum I'm beginning to feel like a Biblical prophet. I live in a rather remote part of the UK and until I found this site I had no one I could dicuss these things with and I've got half a centuary of dicussions to catch up with, you have been warned! As regard not theorising in the absense of DNA, until two short breaths ago that is exactly what had to be done. DNA can also be used to prove or disprove our ideas as well as a purely investigative tool.
Pre DNA there were a sizeable number of absolute Bull S--t ideas around,(examples provided upon request) but it does not appear to be the answer to the maiden's prayer, as I pointed out, the Moorish genes seem to have been lost in Europe.
Using Occam's razor the simplest way of explaining the significant variations in our species would be to follow the out of Africa 2 idea. DNA tests have shown that modern European man entered Europe, not from Africa direct, but from eastern Europe, and again the logical view, not necessarily the correct one I agree, would be that as he turned right after leaving Africa he found Asia already sufficiently populated that he turned west. This would leave the Asiatic people as migrants from out of Africa 1 and Europeans as out of Africa 2.
The argument that the human race shiows very little genetic variation would then be answered by my wanting to know how much variation would be needed to recognize a new species, after all, there is reputed to be only 5% difference between us and Chimpanzees.
Well that's one part of 50 years deep thought dealt with. Well it beats watching soap operas!
MichelleH
Site Admin

Post by MichelleH »

Digit,

Here is a item from today's news page:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20061107/sc_ ... erthals_dc

The original paper this article is based on:

Evidence that the adaptive allele of the brain size gene microcephalin introgressed into Homo sapiens from an archaic Homo lineage

Abstract: http://www.pnas.org/cgi/content/abstract/0606966103v1
(Full text available in pdf file)

And another article from today's searches:

Scientists Create Neanderthal Genome

http://www.lse.co.uk/ShowStory.asp?stor ... hal_genome
We've Got Fossils - We win ~ Lewis Black

Red meat, cheese, tobacco, and liquor...it works for me ~ Anthony Bourdain

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.
Digit

Post by Digit »

MH Thanks for that report. Now if I'd studied palaeontology at Uni as I had wanted to I could be world famous by now!!! I've argued the viewpoint for years that the sudden flowering of art etc could most easily be explained by the interbreeding of two or more sub-species of Homo. As you can see in the articles you kindly directed me to the experts have long names for what I've always known as hybrid vigour.