Off Topic

Random older topics of discussion

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Beagle

Post by Beagle »

At 5'3" it might still be a baby. I hope not though. God that's ugly.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

http://physorg.com/news89292896.html

New studies by Rice University scientists suggest a possible answer; the speed of evolution has increased over time because bacteria and viruses constantly exchange transposable chunks of DNA between species, thus making it possible for life forms to evolve faster than they would if they relied only on sexual selection or random genetic mutations.

"We have developed the first exact solution of a mathematical model of evolution that accounts for this cross-species genetic exchange," said Michael Deem, the John W. Cox Professor in Biochemical and Genetic Engineering and professor of physics and astronomy.
Is evolution speeding up? :?
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

http://icwales.icnetwork.co.uk/0100news ... _page.html
A BEACHCOMBER claims he has found ancient human footprints dating back 8,000 years, embedded in an ancient Welsh peat bed.
Digit, have you been beachcombing? :lol:
Digit

Post by Digit »

Not lately Beag, but it gives some idea of the storms we get around here. This year I have had roof damage, twice, neighbours have had dustbins blown away and the local airport's been shut down.
Never a dull moment round here!
Cognito

Beachcoming

Post by Cognito »

Digit, have you been beachcombing?
Digit, I think he just called you older than dirt. Older than peat maybe, but not older than dirt! :D
Natural selection favors the paranoid
Digit

Post by Digit »

I missed that! I shall have to have a few sharp words with him. Couldn't borrow a hand axe couldI?
stan

Post by stan »

Digit, are you a size 8?
The deeper you go, the higher you fly.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Digit wrote:I missed that! I shall have to have a few sharp words with him. Couldn't borrow a hand axe couldI?

We have no hand axes in NOrth America.

The Club says so!
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Digit

Post by Digit »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

http://dsc.discovery.com/news/2007/01/3 ... 0131091530
Jan. 31, 2007 — A glassy stick made by lightning striking Libyan sands has now been used to date the lightning and detect the ancient climate.

It turns out that the root-like glass "fulgurite" structure made of melted and welded sand from the Libyan Desert contains miniscule bubbles of trapped gases from the time it was made. These gases, carbon dioxide (CO2), carbon monoxide (CO) and nitric oxide (NO) harbor hints of the type of plants that were zapped along with the sandy ground some 15,000 years ago.
Examining lightning strikes. What will they think of next?
stan

Post by stan »

Seems to me that the chemical composition of the trapped gases would have been changed by the heat and electrical energy of the lightning. :shock:
The deeper you go, the higher you fly.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Yep. I'm just fascinated with the fact that they can glean so much information from a fulgarite at all.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/story ... 99,00.html

Vikings may have used special crystals called sunstones to ensure gloomy weather did not come between them and an outing to sack British villages or discover new lands to the west, scientists have discovered. Tests aboard a research vessel in the Arctic ocean found that certain crystals can be used to reveal the position of the sun, a trick that would have allowed early explorers to ascertain their position and navigate, even if the sky was obscured by cloud or fog.
Hmm... could be I guess.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/6335899.stm
The final design for a "doomsday" vault that will house seeds from all known varieties of food crops has been unveiled by the Norwegian government.

The Svalbard International Seed Vault will be built into a mountainside on a remote island near the North Pole.

The vault aims to safeguard the world's agriculture from future catastrophes, such as nuclear war, asteroid strikes and climate change.
This is a great thought, but in the event of a worldwide catastrophe, who will be alive to remember it's there, or be able to reach it? :?
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Plan 'B' is to build this big Ark.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin