Random older topics of discussion

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Beagle

Post by Beagle »

As for me....I love pork
So do I. 8)
Digit

Post by Digit »

Being raised in a Jewish community I have always understood that the prohibition on pig flesh was entirely based on the idea of community health, as was the requirement for destroying cooking vessels every so often. But the Israelites were/are not the only peoples to have given health matters legal/religious backing, the general prohibition on incest for example almost certainly was founded on the need to prevent inbreeding.
Strange though how the ban on pig flesh has stood for all these years when the other strictures in the OT have gone by the board.
War Arrow

Post by War Arrow »

I honestly believe that the majority of religions began with at least a degree of claims/pronouncements that (aside from any political element) were entirely valid within the context of time and place. The problem as I see it (thanks to politics and the written word) is when belief systems cease to be adaptive and become dogma. Thus we end up with much of what we have today, which may have been great for several thousand years ago, but has, in many cases, failed to adapt to new circumstances. I'm composing a long, unreadable thread on this subject some time soon.
Viewers of a sensetive disposition may want to look away now.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

I'm composing a long, unreadable thread on this subject some time soon.

I look forward to it with great anticipation.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Re: Archie

Post by Minimalist »

Cognito wrote:
You have to tell, Arch.

They have found evidence for the Canaanite city in the MBA but it declined over the centuries to the level of a small village. It did not make its way back to city status until the reign of King Hezekiah after the much more prosperous northern Kingdom of Israel was destroyed by the Assyrians.
Archie is SCREAMING at his computer right now! ... "NO! NO YOU FOOLS! ... AARRGGHH!" :D

Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
stan

Post by stan »

I noticed that arch suddently disappeared a couple of days ago.
Was he banned? I didn't see any notification. :shock:
The deeper you go, the higher you fly.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

I'm not completely sure what his status is.

-- George Carlin
Cognito

Post by Cognito »

The approximately 50 tombs originally date from the early Bronze Age (2200 BCE to 2000 BCE), but were apparently dug up and used again about 1700 BCE to 1600 BCE, an authority spokesman said.

The archeologists said that in accordance with the common belief of the time, the offerings were given in the expectation of feeding the departed in the afterlife. Such beliefs were said to be heavily influenced by the cultural dominance of Egypt at the time, which was at the zenith of its power. Animal bones, supposedly sheep or goats, were also found. Milevski said he believed they were the remains of more offerings.
Most interesting. The reburials occur from 1700 to 1600bce and are Canaanite. Egypt's Hyksos period dates from 1780 to 1540bce, not quite the "zenith of Egypt's power" since the Egyptians' kingdom was relegated to the south. I have stated elsewhere in another universe that the Hyksos were a mix of Canaanites, Amorites, and other Semite tribes. Ahmose expels the Hyksos in 1540bce with many Hebrews left behind, becoming slaves in the process.
Natural selection favors the paranoid
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

The only part of that that I'd quibble with is the concept of "many Hebrews" left behind. There may have been some Semites left behind but I don't get the impression that the Hyksos was a mass migration in the first place. More along the lines of a conquering army which replaced the upper political strata in Egypt.

More like the Norman invasion of Britain than the Goths pouring over the border of the Roman Empire.

-- George Carlin
Cognito

Hebrews

Post by Cognito »

The only part of that that I'd quibble with is the concept of "many Hebrews" left behind. There may have been some Semites left behind but I don't get the impression that the Hyksos was a mass migration in the first place. More along the lines of a conquering army which replaced the upper political strata in Egypt.
Rephrase "many Hebrews left behind" to "enough Hebrews left behind to create a slave labor contingent in the next hundred years or so". It could have been quite few.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Semites, not Hebrews, whose origins are murky but seemingly much later.

There is no doubt that after the expulsion and subsequent storming of Canaanite positions after the retreat that a 350 year period of absolute Egyptian domination of Canaan ensued...only broken around 1150 in the wake of the Sea People episode.

-- George Carlin
Cognito

Sea Peoples

Post by Cognito »

There is no doubt that after the expulsion and subsequent storming of Canaanite positions after the retreat that a 350 year period of absolute Egyptian domination of Canaan ensued...only broken around 1150 in the wake of the Sea People episode.
Yes, the Sea Peoples' invasions were post 1200bce and they attacked everyone in the Levant, except Phoenicia. The Hittite empire disappeared, the Mycenaen empire disappeared, but the Egyptians were able to repulse them. Must have had some great politicians in Phoenicia at the time.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Saw a repeat of a show about the Sea Peoples the other day. Drew some odd conclusions (such as 'chariots went out of style in the Iron Age' and the Sea People may have come from Sicily/Sardinia) but otherwise had some good points.

I still think the best available historical model for the Sea People is the Viking Age, although that lasted a lot longer.

-- George Carlin