PreClovis Artifacts from Central Texas

Have you been to great ancient site? Show us here and tell us about your experience!

To that end, Photobucket.com has a new feature called the "Bulk Uploader" which allows you to go through an entire directory and select which photos you wish to upload by thumbnail instead of having to individually select them. It makes the process infinitely faster and simpler.

(And Photobucket is a free service.)

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Charlie Hatchett

Post by Charlie Hatchett »

edited
Last edited by Charlie Hatchett on Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:14 pm, edited 11 times in total.
Charlie Hatchett

edited
Last edited by Charlie Hatchett on Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:15 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Charlie Hatchett

edited
Last edited by Charlie Hatchett on Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:16 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Charlie Hatchett wrote:
Minimalist wrote:
We had fun breaking rocks and chopping trees.
Indeed we did and more importantly showed that such tools were reasonable utensils for those tasks.
And, it was all your idea. I never thought beyond them being butchering tools. Many would make excellent woodworking tools. Maybe, someday, with some microwear analyses, we'll know for sure for what they were used.

No great insight on my part....just mindlessly wondering what these people might use sharpened rocks for. Food prep would be important....but so would shelter and firewood..and defense.

I was pretty so surprised that it worked so well.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Charlie Hatchett

edited
Last edited by Charlie Hatchett on Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:16 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Charlie Hatchett

edited
Last edited by Charlie Hatchett on Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:16 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Probably. Let me go look.

-- George Carlin
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

[img][img]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y108/r ... xas025.jpg[/img][/img]

[img][img]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y108/r ... xas027.jpg[/img][/img]

BTW, I'm still not convinced that they would not have hafted this piece. Look where your thumb is on the narrow edge. It is perpendicular to the cutting edge at the bottom. How hard would it have been to use some animal sinew to tie a forked stick to it as a handle which would greatly improve the striking power? And, 10,000 years later what are the odds that we would find either the sinew or the wood associated with it?

-- George Carlin
Charlie Hatchett

edited
Last edited by Charlie Hatchett on Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:17 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Frank Harrist

Post by Frank Harrist »

Bob's just holdin' it wrong. I mean he's holding it like an adze. He'd need to get around to the side more to use it as an axe, which he seems to have done in the chopping photo.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

That's Charlie's hand....we switched off. My arm was getting tired.

-- George Carlin
War Arrow

Post by War Arrow »

Minimalist wrote:BTW, I'm still not convinced that they would not have hafted this piece. Look where your thumb is on the narrow edge. It is perpendicular to the cutting edge at the bottom. How hard would it have been to use some animal sinew to tie a forked stick to it as a handle which would greatly improve the striking power? And, 10,000 years later what are the odds that we would find either the sinew or the wood associated with it?
Er... it'd be interesting to know how it handled if you gave that idea a shot. Fixing it to a forked stick I mean.
Charlie Hatchett

edited
Last edited by Charlie Hatchett on Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:17 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Rokcet Scientist

Post by Rokcet Scientist »

Good to see you again, Charlie!