Some help needed

Have you been to great ancient site? Show us here and tell us about your experience!

To that end, Photobucket.com has a new feature called the "Bulk Uploader" which allows you to go through an entire directory and select which photos you wish to upload by thumbnail instead of having to individually select them. It makes the process infinitely faster and simpler.

(And Photobucket is a free service.)

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Three Of Five

Some help needed

Post by Three Of Five »

Hi

I would like to have your opinion on these two photos below. The first one was taken on a stone next to an area where a prehistoric tomb was destroyed some decades ago. It seems to have some drawings, but I would like to have your opinion.

The second picture show what it seems to be a water channel of some kind. Strange enough is that in the area there is no longer any farming activity, at least for now. I don't know if the structure is roman, but in the nearby a roman bridge and a roman oven have been found, what do you think?

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm50 ... e/rock.jpg

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm50 ... hannel.jpg

Cheers
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

On the first one all I can see is a couple of lines but that's not uncommon... I am one lousy art critic.

The second one, especially if there is evidence of Roman ruins in the area, could certainly be an aqueduct. For the most part these were built below ground with the famous arched structures built only to cross valleys. The Romans were very precise. A photo taken of the inside of the "trench" should show even rows of masonry which would have been lined, probably with wood, which would long ago have rotted away.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Forum Monk

Post by Forum Monk »

I have seen similar piles of rocks as in the second picture, when farmers clear fields and collect the rocks along the edge. These are also contructed into walls, naturally. If the rocks were used in construction, a few may show signs of having been worked.

The first picture does not look unnatural to me. Someone need to look at it up close and personal. It is interesting nontheless.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

I hate to give Simcha Jacobovici any credit but he demonstrated how one can very simply and without risk to the artifact highlight any apparently man-made lines.

Throw some water on it and take another photo.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Sam Salmon

Post by Sam Salmon »

Forum Monk wrote:I have seen similar piles of rocks as in the second picture, when farmers clear fields and collect the rocks along the edge. These are also contructed into walls, naturally. If the rocks were used in construction, a few may show signs of having been worked.
Yes it looks very much like a pile of rocks dragged off a field over the years and dumped.
Last edited by Sam Salmon on Wed May 14, 2008 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

I think he's talking about the trench in the center rather than the rocks in the foreground. A better photo would help...especially one which looks down into the trench.

-- George Carlin
Sam Salmon

Post by Sam Salmon »

Minimalist wrote:I think he's talking about the trench in the center rather than the rocks in the foreground. A better photo would help...especially one which looks down into the trench
Indeed!
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

We don't know where this is taken but lots of people could have dug irrigation trenches for their fields and there are Roman ruins in a pretty steady stream from Spain to Syria on both sides of the Med. So a little more info would help.

-- George Carlin
Three Of Five

Post by Three Of Five »

Hi all

The pictures were taken in Portugal, Antas, about 40 Km from Lisbon.

I'll take more detailed pictures of the scenarios presented and then insert them here.

Thanks
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Here's a book on Roman Portugal. Claims to list 3,000 sites which is pretty impressive even by Roman standards. Then again, they controlled "Farther Spain" for a long time.

http://www.arisandphillips.com/ap/Portugal.html

-- George Carlin
fossiltrader

Rock.

Post by fossiltrader »

When we find here similar marks to what appears a cross on your picture we usually look further.However most of the similar marks we find are made by sharpening rock tools and are for the most part not at such an angle and are lower to the ground hope this helps.