Global warming.

Here's where you get off topic and off center....Keep it nice, keep it clean, no sniping, no flaming. After that, anything goes.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

It's 90 out here.

Of course, I think that's normal.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Digit

Post by Digit »

Right on the coast of Cardigan Bay Essan. Don't make the mistake of thinking I'm of the opinion that GW isn't occuring, it is, of that I have no doubt. The cause is my concern.
This winter we haven't even had our heating on.
Here in the UK GW has been made the new governmental religion and the excuse for ever increasing taxes as Blair pursues 'Green' policies.
Like shipping our rubbish to China for disposal. Green my foot!
I live in a Canadian built timber house, in the UK they are as rare as Dinosaur bites, brick is the normal method, check out how to insulate brick structures and the pollution from brick and cement manufacture
Like I said, green my foot!
Essan

Post by Essan »

Digit wrote: Don't make the mistake of thinking I'm of the opinion that GW isn't occuring, it is, of that I have no doubt. The cause is my concern.
We're probably not that far apart actually - I just think that carbon emissions are likely to be a contributory factor. But definitely not the be all and end all the so-called 'environmentalists' and politicians like to make out. The issue has been well and truly hi-jacked - and it's the science that suffers.
This winter we haven't even had our heating on.
Had mine on for a couple of days just before christmas (freezing fog) and again for a couple of days in Feb (when we had our heaviest snowfall in years) But that's all. But I hate the temp indoors to get above 18c and 14c indoors is quite comfy if you wear a sweater ....
Here in the UK GW has been made the new governmental religion and the excuse for ever increasing taxes as Blair pursues 'Green' policies.
Like shipping our rubbish to China for disposal. Green my foot!
Blair has spend the past 10 years forcing - through various methods, including closing down schools, hospitals, Post Offices and other local facilities - more and more people to use private cars more and more often. And then he taxes them for doing so. Sick or what?

(I don't drive :D )
Forum Monk

Post by Forum Monk »

This was the CNN headline first thing this morning.
"Winter has been world's warmest on record"
"We don't say this winter is evidence of the influence of greenhouse gases," Lawrimore said.

However, he noted that his center's work is part of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change process, which released a report on global warming last month that found climate change is occurring and that human activities quite likely play a role in the change.

"So we know as a part of that, the conclusions have been reached and the warming trend is due in part to rises in greenhouse gas emissions," Lawrimore said. "By looking at long-term trends and long-term changes, we are able to better understand natural and anthropogenic [human-caused] climate change."
http://www.cnn.com/2007/WEATHER/03/15/w ... index.html

In the article a feeble attempt is made to downplay the anthropogenic connection to GW, but most people will see the headline, make the connection and never look at "the rest of the story".

:roll:
Digit

Post by Digit »

It's all very well people saying that this is the warmest, wettist, dryest, coldest, since records began, but just how far back do people think these records go?
Using current standards of measurement we are talking one lifetime for crying out loud.
marduk

Post by marduk »

Using current standards of measurement we are talking one lifetime for crying out loud.
http://environment.newscientist.com/cha ... ecord.html
2006 was the Earth's sixth warmest year on record, averaging 0.4°C above the 1961 to 1990 average, according to the World Meteorological Organization. The records extend back to 1861. And the UK charted its warmest year ever – its records go back to 1659.
348 years is one lifetime
they live a long time in your family I guess
I'll be lucky to see 80 personally
are your lot from Vulcan

:lol:
Digit

Post by Digit »

Try reading my post with your eyes open Steve! You will find reference to 'current methods of measurement', the very early records are not exactly reliable. The early date that you mention, 1659, is somewhat before reliable means of recording temperatures were available.
'The coldest winter in living memory'etc is not a reliable way of recording anything.
Boswell records that in London sentries in the Tower of London froze to death at their posts. Ok, but even that does not tell you the temp at the time.
Forum Monk

Post by Forum Monk »

marduk wrote:348 years is one lifetime
they live a long time in your family I guess
I'll be lucky to see 80 personally
are your lot from Vulcan
You forget, one of Digit's distant relatives lived 969 years!

Digit

Post by Digit »

Quite Monk, or Marduk's history has let him down again. Fahrenheit wasn't even alive at Marduks quoted date and his was the first reliable method of recording temperatures.
marduk

Post by marduk »

Boswell records that in London sentries in the Tower of London froze to death at their posts. Ok, but even that does not tell you the temp at the time.
yes it does
it tells you it was below freezing
-0 C
hehe
Digit

Post by Digit »

There's accuracy for you!
marduk

Post by marduk »

Digit wrote:Quite Monk, or Marduk's history has let him down again. Fahrenheit wasn't even alive at Marduks quoted date and his was the first reliable method of recording temperatures.
Fahrenheit is a temperature scale named after the German physicist Daniel Gabriel Fahrenheit (1686–1736), who proposed it in 1724.

Celsius is just as accurate as Fahrenheit Digit
in fact more so
because it is the current standard by which the united kingdom measures temperature
it is what we are teaching kids in schools
celsius
not fahreheit
we don't like adopting german ideas over here as you know
:wink:
Digit

Post by Digit »

Again you've lost me Marduk, the early measurements of temp in this country, which is of course is what we were discussing, were in Fahrenheit, not Celcius nor Kelvin or even Marduks.
marduk

Post by marduk »

the early measurements of temp in this country, which is of course is what we were discussing, were in Fahrenheit, not Celcius nor Kelvin or even Marduks.
so what youre saying is
that the temperatures recorded in 1659
were recorded in Fahrenheit
which was invented in 1724.
interesting theory Digit
8)
Digit

Post by Digit »

Steve get some reading glasses! I said early measurements, I never suggested anything like your comment, use a bit of common.
The Met Office wasn't established till the mid 19C, and that because previous 'records' were kept by amateurs using what ever system they liked with no standardisation between them, and thus unreliable.