Global warming.

Here's where you get off topic and off center....Keep it nice, keep it clean, no sniping, no flaming. After that, anything goes.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Digit

Post by Digit »

You might be thinking of King Canute (Cnut) C995 1035. Fed up with flatterers, one of whom sugested that he was so powerful he could stop the tide, Canute demonstrated that the man was a fool by sitting on the beach in front of the incoming tide and ordered it to stop.
He got wet.
kbs2244

Post by kbs2244 »

So he was on the correct side of the logic?
It is a smart person that does not believe their publicist.
Just ask Paris Hilton.
I think she could have afforded a driver!
Cognito

Paris Hilton

Post by Cognito »

So he was on the correct side of the logic?
It is a smart person that does not believe their publicist.
Just ask Paris Hilton.
I think she could have afforded a driver!
After all KB, she was driving a $180,000 Bentley when stopped. Most people here were happy that she received 45 days and can only hope that she does her time in a real jail cell as opposed to a country club setting. It would do her and her family good. :evil:
Natural selection favors the paranoid
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Digit wrote:You might be thinking of King Canute (Cnut) C995 1035. Fed up with flatterers, one of whom sugested that he was so powerful he could stop the tide, Canute demonstrated that the man was a fool by sitting on the beach in front of the incoming tide and ordered it to stop.
He got wet.

Did he then get up and move or did he just sit there until he drowned?
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Cognito

Canute

Post by Cognito »

Did he then get up and move or did he just sit there until he drowned?
Actually, I believe he was astride his horse and only got his boots wet.
Natural selection favors the paranoid
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Why does that remind me of the joke about the Polish Water Polo team?
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Rokcet Scientist

Post by Rokcet Scientist »

Digit wrote:
Canute demonstrated that the man was a fool by sitting on the beach in front of the incoming tide and ordered it to stop.

He got wet.
'King' (?) Canute clearly demonstrated that he was the fool!
kbs2244

Post by kbs2244 »

We don't have a climate thread, so I thought I would put this here.
WHat got my attention was that they can see 100 year changes.

Ice ages dried up African monsoons
10:00 10 June 2007
NewScientist.com news service

When ice ages held Europe in their grip, Africa also felt the pinch - though in a different way.

It has long been suspected that there is a connection between the west African monsoon and climate at higher latitudes - especially over geological timescales, says David Lea at the University of California, Santa Barbara. "But until now, there hasn't been enough supporting evidence." Now Lea, with team leader Syee Weldeab and colleagues, has reconstructed the most detailed history of the monsoon yet, spanning 155,000 years and two ice ages.

The team analysed the amount of barium in plankton shells found in an ocean sediment core drilled beneath the Gulf of Guinea. Barium is found in freshwater run-off from the river Niger, says Lea, and is a gauge of past run-off levels and monsoon intensities. When the northern latitudes were frozen over, monsoon rains were much weaker, only gaining strength again when the temperatures in the north increased, the team found.

They also discovered big swings in monsoon activity over timescales as small as 100 years, linked to rapid climate change caused by changes in ice sheet size (Science, vol 316, p 1303). "Something that happens right up in the poles can have a dramatic effect on the climate in the tropics," says Lea.
Digit

Post by Digit »

No surprises there then. I'm still waiting for the much hyped 'everybody join in' climate computer group over here. The idea was to get 1000s of PCs on the task and see what we get 'and we'll publish the results in May 07'
Yeah!
And what about Cardiff university's examination of the 'open wound in the Earth's crust' they were going to tell us about.
Perhaps these people didn't get the answers they wanted. :twisted:
Roberto

Post by Roberto »

http://www.weather.com Now Playing: Drought in the South threatening Jack Daniel's Whiskey 6/12/07 The famous whiskey has always been made with iron-free cave spring water located at the distillery, but this essential ingredient is drying up in the drought. A News Video is found here should you like. Unfortunately it did not copy over.

Just saw this bit of "IMPORTANT" information. This Climate Warming
is beginning to hit too close to home. This puts a whole new perspective
to the old saying "What ya going to do when the creek runs dry!"
Guess I'm going to have to pull out my last bottle. sit down beneath the old oak tree, and CRY,CRY, CRY :shock: !
Digit

Post by Digit »

Yep! It's getting serious now! :wink:
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

I have a very close friend in Charleston, SC and even there they have been way below normal for rainfall. The last tropical storm that pounded Florida brought a much welcome respite but even so, they need a number of such storms to get back to normal.

Fortunately, the hurricane season usually provides that.

-- George Carlin
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/ame ... 643033.ece
America is facing its worst summer drought since the Dust Bowl years of the Great Depression. Or perhaps worse still.

From the mountains and desert of the West, now into an eighth consecutive dry year, to the wheat farms of Alabama, where crops are failing because of rainfall levels 12 inches lower than usual, to the vast soupy expanse of Lake Okeechobee in southern Florida, which has become so dry it actually caught fire a couple of weeks ago, a continent is crying out for water.

In the south-east, usually a lush, humid region, it is the driest few months since records began in 1895. California and Nevada, where burgeoning population centres co-exist with an often harsh, barren landscape, have seen less rain over the past year than at any time since 1924. The Sierra Nevada range, which straddles the two states, received only 27 per cent of its usual snowfall in winter, with immediate knock-on effects on water supplies for the populations of Las Vegas and Los Angeles.
It looks like we're in for a long hot summer. We've seen them before though. 8)
kbs2244

Post by kbs2244 »

Weather is not climate.
Starflower

Post by Starflower »

First a funny article...
http://www.theonion.com/content/news/ad ... risis_bush

Then a rather long winded yet(I thought) interesting article.

http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/fina ... db11f4&p=4
It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
-- Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World

"Give us the timber or we'll go all stupid and lawless on your butts". --Redcloud, MTF