Global warming.

Here's where you get off topic and off center....Keep it nice, keep it clean, no sniping, no flaming. After that, anything goes.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

marduk

Post by marduk »

"The only way to explain such a luminous ultraviolet flare is if the black hole swallowed a star," Gezari said.
bet ?
8)
It is believed that super-massive black holes are located at the core of every galaxy.
Not by everyone. Recent work (see MECOs) suggests this may be entirely wrong. Also work by plasma cosmologists explains those things used to make this claim without resorting to black holes or any of the other bizarre assumptions (like dark energy, dark matter, inflation, changing cosmological constants, etc) used by Big Bangers to explain away observations.
http://www.libertypost.org/cgi-bin/read ... Num=168604
Digit

Post by Digit »

It still doesn't tell me where all that energy is supposed to come from. Even if you argue that photons are ex- tachyons, it only moves the question one pace to the left, because then I ask where do the tachyons come from.
It's like the statement by Hoyle that life on Earth was imported from space, then you want to know where and how THAT life started.
marduk

Post by marduk »

or what came first the chicken or the chicken mcnugget
:lol:
in any course it doesnt matter does it
because the only occaison when the existence of black holes would matter is if one got to close to our planet
and then nothing would matter anyway
but if you like I'd phone you up the night before and congratulate you for being right
Digit

Post by Digit »

Nothing is relevant till you need to know, and then it can be too late.
Einstein's work resulted in the atomic bomb, it started with, 'why is the sky dark at night'? Not matter Marduk?
marduk

Post by marduk »

Einstein's work resulted in the atomic bomb
no that was Leo Szilard
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Le%C3%B3_Szil%C3%A1rd
:wink:
Digit

Post by Digit »

The practical side, granted, the theory is firmly rooted in E=MC2.
marduk

Post by marduk »

what do you blow up with a theoretical atomic bomb then
a theoretical enemy
sound just like Iraqi wmd's dont they
Digit

Post by Digit »

Or which is the most important, the salesman who sells the products or the people who produce them?
marduk

Post by marduk »

neither its the person who has to use them
Digit

Post by Digit »

Or each is dependent on the other?
marduk

Post by marduk »

so if i shot you you'd blame the amourer who made the bullets and the gun manufacturer as much as me.
I'll tell my solicitor that it would be a good defence maybe I could get two thirds off my life sentence
who does Japan blame for Hiroshima
the United states for dropping the bomb
the Hungarians for coming up with the idea
or the German who developed the idea
Digit

Post by Digit »

Wasn't 'blaming' anyone, simply pointing out that the theory came first.
marduk

Post by marduk »

always blame the politicians
general rule
stan

Post by stan »

Over here in the US the government has redrawn the "hardiness" zones which are a guide to the growing seasons and suitability of these zones for planting crops, flowers and shrubs.
The new zones are based on the climate data for the last 15 years, and
the results show a warming trend. Maybe that's no surprise, but there is a new map for North Carolina, my state, and that brings the effect "home" rather dramatically, literally to my front yard.
At the same time (actually, over the last 5 years), we have noticed a species of plant new to this area which is beginning to invade our highway margins, railroad grades, and so forth. establishing big colonies. (It's Baccharis - salt myrtle).
Turns out it's a coastal species which is making its way inland.
Some people said it was being attracted by road salt, but I think the warming makes more sense.
Here we are on new year's eve, and you can see buttercups, henbit,
oxalis, quince, and other plants in bloom outside!
The deeper you go, the higher you fly.
Digit

Post by Digit »

We have the same sort of thing here Stan where salt has been used, and where it has occurred, usually it is in a fairly narrow strip close to the roadway, which supports the idea of salt being the prime agent. Having said that the range may well also be increasing due to GW.
I noticed the other day that GW maps and graphs seem to use a 40 year filter as a means of flattening some of the peaks and troughs on the graphs. Understandable, but then I discovered that in the UK temps started to rise in the 1880s, continued till the 1940s followed by a decline till the 80s, therefore a period of cold that produced the lowest I've experienced, -26 C is effectively banished from the record.