Politicians.

Here's where you get off topic and off center....Keep it nice, keep it clean, no sniping, no flaming. After that, anything goes.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Digit

Politicians.

Post by Digit »

I'd like to start nominations for 'honest politician of the year'. I'd like to, but I am having problems thinking of one.
Here is your oportunity to have your say,
the rules are simple.
You may nominate whom you wish with few exceptions, the likes of Bin Laden will be binned automatically.
Entries for John Prescott and Tony Blair to be submitted under the 'jokes' column.
Closing date for entries 32 Octember 2008!
First people deny a thing, then they belittle it, then they say it was known all along! Von Humboldt
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

This is going to be a short list.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
War Arrow

Post by War Arrow »

By Honest Politician of the Year do you mean this year? I'm having trouble thinking of anyone who hasn't been dead a couple of centuries. I suppose you might argue that Mussolini had a sort of refreshing honesty in his approach but I don't think that's quite what you meant is it?
Digit

Post by Digit »

Well honesty would be refreshing!
First people deny a thing, then they belittle it, then they say it was known all along! Von Humboldt
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

No politician who has to run for office is honest. Maybe you need to look at people like Stalin. Brutal? Yes. But honest!
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

To answer the original question, I am going to draw a distinction. It's hard to find a completely honest person, let alone a politician. So I think what voters in all countries beware of is an out-and-out liar. There are plenty of those.

I think we have had presidents who have tried to be as honest as they felt they could, but there are not too many of them.

As the topic is "politicians", we are having one of the most interesting election years I've ever seen. With football almost over, this is the best sport to watch. And there's something every day. :D
Digit

Post by Digit »

Same over here Beag, it's called watch the politician squirm.
We have a day each week when the Prime Minister has to put aside some time to answer questions from Members of Parliament, the best knock about comedy show on TV!
Our Home Sec, (in charge of Law and Order) actually admitted that she would not walk the streets of London at night.
Then she tries to tell us that crime is falling.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

We have a day each week when the Prime Minister has to put aside some time to answer questions from Members of Parliament
Yes, I've seen that from time to time on CSpan. It's a good idea, and I wish our presidents had to do it.
Digit

Post by Digit »

If you could get a straight answer from them. Our Home Sec gave an answer on the radio the other day that the experts in 'robo speach' are still trying to convert in a living language.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

If you could get a straight answer from them.
I hear that Digit, but you guys haven't seen anything like the Clintons. :lol:
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

3 states have primaries today. It's the best show on TV. After this, it's the "Last Stand at the Alamo" on March 4th. Then there will be some clear winners I think.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Obama and McCain win in Wisconsin. I hope both of the races go all the way to the convention. It's been a long time since that happened but it's very educational for the younger folks. It's kinda like watching sausage being made though.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Hillary is in deep doo-doo. Obama is cutting into her core support.

McCain, OTOH, looks like a cast extra from Night of the Living Dead.

-- George Carlin
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

I'm in for a late night, waiting on Hawaii. We're a long way from seeing how this all shakes out. I don't think the Dems, with their superdelegate system, will be crazy enough to give the nomination to Clinton. The party would have a meltdown.

I think the reason she is losing is pretty basic - nobody likes her. Obama is acting like a rock star right now, and he's fun to listen to, but he better get some substance with that style before the fall or he'll be in a meatgrinder. Somebody better tell him how much money he's proposing to give away in his speeches.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

All he's got to do is keep reminding people of McCain's call for another hundred years of war. There will be a stark contrast in this race.

-- George Carlin