Afterlife?

Here's where you get off topic and off center....Keep it nice, keep it clean, no sniping, no flaming. After that, anything goes.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

gunny

Afterlife?

Post by gunny »

I am amazed at the afterlife cults of ancient peoples. Did they see themselves far above the other mammals which they could plainly see were contructed just like the humans. Did they need that "this is not all there is?" This belief goes way back with artifacts buried with the subject. Of course all the religions have this thought or reborn. It does seem strange, when you think about it, here is your life, with all the things you have done and seen to be extinguished? Nothing else? Blank? Think I will get me a beer.
CShark

Post by CShark »

This may turn out to be a very volatile topic...

In my personal opionion, I dearly hope there is, but the scientist in me thinks otherwise. And this is from someone who has gone through a varied and deep religious life when I was younger (very long story).

Um, I don't think early man saw other mammals as 'constructed just like humans'. I think they saw other mammals as dinner.
kbs2244

Post by kbs2244 »

There is, of course, the religious side of this.

In some societies the grave goods seem to be buried with the body as a sign of respect. Weapons with warriors. Milling stone with women.
A kind of “I wouldn’t use another mans tools” concept.

But in other cases the grave goods are obviously meant as supplies or tools to be used. Especially when the servants are sent along.

But if you want a pretty good definition of cognitive thought, I would say the concept of being alive in some way at some time or place, after you die in this time and place, is a real good starting point.
rich

Post by rich »

They buried them just to make sure they wouldn't come back - as shown by later civilizations piling tons of rocks on top of them and others burning them to total ashes. They must've been some really bad people! :D
Or they were simply burying the evidence!
Besides - who said they waited until they were dead to bury them?
i'm not lookin' for who or what made the earth - just who got me dizzy by makin it spin
Digit

Post by Digit »

This subject has been discussed before and as usual I argued from the oposite end. I suspect that religion came about as an attempt to explain the paranormal. Many people will say that they don't believe in ghosts, few do till they experience such a thing.
For the sake of discussion let us assume that those who claim to have had such experiences are neither mad, besotted or drunk. What's your best solution to their experience.
I think religion followed.
rich

Post by rich »

Probably the best solution for their experience would be the same as for deja vu - which is an experience quite a few more people have experienced.
As far as religion - I think it followed thru from people trying to understand nature, the world around them, and themselves (including all their experiences).
Another possible reason was to foster a better method of survival of the tribes.
Possibly even from coincidences (ex: wow - I just killed that guy and the ground exploded under my feet. He had some kind of weird power. Or "he drew a deer and I killed one").
There were a ton of reasons, some of which modern man may not even see anymore. But not just from one thing or another - they tried to address a number of problems.
i'm not lookin' for who or what made the earth - just who got me dizzy by makin it spin
spacecase0

Post by spacecase0 »

For the sake of discussion let us assume that those who claim to have had such experiences are neither mad, besotted or drunk. What's your best solution to their experience.
I think religion followed.
I agree,
I remember some past lives, no idea why the memories are there...
if there were none already, I might start an afterlife cult.
I totally see why they did it.

and ghosts (especially ones that move things) show up as moving electrostatic fields at a low frequency AC, and I can not trace the source of the energy.
for example, I will be in the middle of a dirt field with no nearby power lines and the meeter will show something is there, it will move, still without anything that should be causing it, unless ghosts are real ?
still not absolutely sure what to make of ghosts, but there is something there.
kbs2244

Post by kbs2244 »

We need a spooky music background to this thread!
Digit

Post by Digit »

No need for any of that SC, just live in my place for a while!
I love statements that are occasionally made by people with a foot in their mouts and one in particular I find amusing. A statement against the paranormal by an expert.
'Ghosts only exisit when people are around.'
HOW DOES HE KNOW!
Forum Monk

Post by Forum Monk »

Isn't there a natural inclination among rational, thinkers to question the meaning and purpose of life? Especially when one realizes the human is relatively fragile and short lived. The need to have purpose is a curious aspect unique to humans, imo.
spacecase0

Post by spacecase0 »

Forum Monk wrote:Isn't there a natural inclination among rational, thinkers to question the meaning and purpose of life? Especially when one realizes the human is relatively fragile and short lived. The need to have purpose is a curious aspect unique to humans, imo.
some people think so,

http://www.godpart.com/
Alper uses a Socratic technique to brilliantly and flawlessly argue that our concepts of spirit and God are derived from the mechanics of our brain
Digit

Post by Digit »

Hmmm!
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

spacecase0 wrote:
Forum Monk wrote:Isn't there a natural inclination among rational, thinkers to question the meaning and purpose of life? Especially when one realizes the human is relatively fragile and short lived. The need to have purpose is a curious aspect unique to humans, imo.
some people think so,

http://www.godpart.com/
Alper uses a Socratic technique to brilliantly and flawlessly argue that our concepts of spirit and God are derived from the mechanics of our brain
SC - somewhere in the original forum I started a thread on this book. I think it's premise that we are somehow hardwired to have spiritual thinking is true. 8)
Forum Monk

Post by Forum Monk »

You would think according to classical darwinian thought, there must be an advantage to god-think, if that were the case.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

There probably was, although I'm not sure how. Possibly humans have a stronger social cohesion and more altruistic behavior toward one another.

There's no question that it starts wars today though.