Science Fiction Writers

Here's where you get off topic and off center....Keep it nice, keep it clean, no sniping, no flaming. After that, anything goes.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

dannan14

Post by dannan14 »

Snow Crash was brilliant. It's uncanny how much of the Web he foresaw. Makes me wonder if he will turn out to be that right on about hyper inflation and the balkanization of the US.
War Arrow

Re: Science Fiction Writers

Post by War Arrow »

Thought of starting a new thread but had some vague memory of having started this one way back in the day when we were posting from ZX Spectra and the like.

Actually, Mr. Grondine mentioning Canticle for Leibowitz got me started, this being one of the reputed SF classics I've still to read (along with Stranger in a Strange Land and probably a couple of others). Currently finishing off a Philip K. Dick marathon (spread out over at least a decade)... Puttering About in a Small Land (not actually SF, aslo sadly not one of PKD's best either) after which I will have read the lot, excepting selected letters.

So er... anyone?

Is Mr. Miller's book one I should be fast tracking up my to read list?
dannan14

Post by dannan14 »

War Arrow wrote:... I've still to read (along with Stranger in a Strange Land and probably a couple of others). ...
So er... anyone?

Is Mr. Miller's book one I should be fast tracking up my to read list?
When you finally pick up Stranger, make sure it is the unabridged version, not the original. The original was cut by more than a third to appease the censors at Putnam. But, since you reopened this thread because of EP mentioning Canticle, how bout the book i brought up in that discussion? "The Earth Abides", by George R Stewart. It truly is a foundation of the alternate history genre.
War Arrow

Post by War Arrow »

Hmmmm. Not familiar with George R. Stewart beyond the name but will keep an eye peeled for that. Actually off to Half-Price Books shortly so may even see it today.