Death of the Dinos

Here's where you get off topic and off center....Keep it nice, keep it clean, no sniping, no flaming. After that, anything goes.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Digit

Death of the Dinos

Post by Digit »

I watch a TV programme last night about the death of the Dinos that threw doubts on the asteroid theory.
When I was a kid, it was easy, everything was known, categorised, pigeon holed and nothing had changed for years,
Now new developments come before the damned ink is dried. What's the latest ,anyone know?

Roy.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

There was some woman bitching and moaning on tv but I don't know that there is any swell of discontent with the KT comet/asteroid theory.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Pippin

Post by Pippin »

Hi

I havnt seen "some program". How did she explain the Yridium in the "Fishclay" (hope i translate right).

Kim
Digit

Post by Digit »

No argument about an asteroid, mainly how much time between the strike and the mass extinction.
That argument has been running for years of course.

Roy.
War Arrow

Post by War Arrow »

I thought it was generally believed that the asteroid was just part of it, or maybe tipped the environment over the edge. Then again, isn't the KT supposed to be the age of a "lava field the size of siberia", and also I think it's generally believed that the extinction happened over quite some time (though a geological blink of an eye) - thousands of years.

Did you see that thing on the box on Sunday evening, Dig? Some programme (about 6 in the evening) going into detail about the Permian extinction (deoxygenation of the seas and so on)?
spacecase0

Post by spacecase0 »

War Arrow wrote:I thought it was generally believed that the asteroid was just part of it, or maybe tipped the environment over the edge. Then again, isn't the KT supposed to be the age of a "lava field the size of siberia", and also I think it's generally believed that the extinction happened over quite some time (though a geological blink of an eye) - thousands of years.

Did you see that thing on the box on Sunday evening, Dig? Some programme (about 6 in the evening) going into detail about the Permian extinction (deoxygenation of the seas and so on)?
I have been watching this one, and I think you are correct that climate shift.

I have also been looking at the deoxygenation of the oceans and the evidence looks convincing to me.
here are my 2 favorite books on the topic.
http://www.amazon.com/Gorgon-Paleontolo ... 13&sr=1-27
http://www.amazon.com/Under-Green-Sky-W ... 006113791X
War Arrow

Post by War Arrow »

Whether theory is getting finely tuned or some sort of evidence has turned up, I must admit I was impressed at the detail of the theory about that Permian extinction (the deoxygenated oceans one) - I still have a programme on tape from about ten years ago in which they kind of mumbled something about too much sulphur dioxide in the sea and then moved on. Since then they seem to have a much better idea of all the different knock on effects that could include this.