Election

Here's where you get off topic and off center....Keep it nice, keep it clean, no sniping, no flaming. After that, anything goes.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

I get most of my TV news from The Daily Show.

Funny as hell and not that far from reality.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Digit

Post by Digit »

I'm with Ish on this one. Blair entered no ten as probably the most popular incumbent ever.
Trouble is it tends to be down hill from there!
I posted on another forum that I wished him well but feared that he may never make it to inauguration.
An American replied that he feared they had voted for vice president.
We will have to wait and see.
Regrettably many seemed to have voted for him 'cos he wasn't white, not that that means he will be a bad President and plenty of people over here vote for some of the oddest of reasons as well.

Roy.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Regrettably many seemed to have voted for him 'cos he wasn't white,

I suspect that if the Dems had run a white candidate that McCain would have been crushed even worse.

I'm genuinely amazed that Obama got 44% of the white vote.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Grumpage

Post by Grumpage »

Some little time ago there was a TV series about a supermarket worker who got to No. 10 on a simple but profound message: "I will never lie to you."

Now, I'm as skeptical and suspicious of politicians as anybody (even you Min) and I've watched them come and go on the wearisome treadmill of promises and hope. You would think by now I should know better - experience should triumph over hope. But experience never triumphed over hope and certainly not this time. When Tony Blair was elected, Ish, did we actually believe him? You know, as in truly, madly and deeply? Yes he was slick and swish and young and clever and the tories were a sleazy laughing stock totally knackered from years of self abuse and the corruption of power. But, to me at least, Blair never convinced in the sincerity stakes. And that's the big difference here.

If Obama was to say "I will never lie to you" I would believe him. And that, I think, is why he won.
Ishtar

Post by Ishtar »

Bloody hell, you've got it bad, Grumps! :D

You may be right. But it also helped that he didn't have a running mate who wasn't aware that Africa was a continent and not a country, who knew where the Gaza Strip was and who didn't have a foreign policy on the Middle East that was based on turning a blind eye to Israel's actions because "Israel are the good guys, and Iran are the bad guys." [Quote: S. Palin]

I wondered at first why Obama didn't choose Hillary as his running mate. Then I realised. Can you imagine the conversation:

"Hills, if anything happens to me, you get to be President!"
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

However, that would have given your average republican cause to think before pulling the trigger.

-- George Carlin
Ishtar

Post by Ishtar »

Minimalist wrote:

However, that would have given your average republican cause to think before pulling the trigger.
Right!
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

I am enjoying the GOP meltdown.

The "Wasila Hillbillies." I can see this as a series next year.

-- George Carlin
john

"An Impeachment of Republicans"

Post by john »

All -

I don't know how many of you may remember an absolutely great book

Entitled "An Exaltation of Larks", by James Lipton.

Essentially, it was a very well done dictionary/exploration

Of "terms of venery" characterising groups of animals, birds, even people.

Examples:

A gaggle of geese.

A pride of lions.

A covey of quail.

An ostentation of peacocks.

A murder of crows.

And so forth.

To which distinguished list

I will humbly add

"An Impeachment of Republicans".

cf: this extract from an MSN article - entitled

‘An impeachment of Republicans’

"Exactly how to rebuild is the issue. Party activists were divided into two camps: those who said Republicans should restore their identity by embracing core conservative values and those who said Republicans had lost touch with the voters by embracing core conservative values."

Couldn't have put it better if I'd tried............

hoka hey

john
"Man is a marvellous curiosity. When he is at his very, very best he is sort of a low-grade nickel-plated angel; at his worst he is unspeakable, unimaginable; and first and last and all the time he is a sarcasm."

Mark Twain
Grumpage

Post by Grumpage »

I am enjoying the GOP meltdown
What is GOP?
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Grand Old Party

The name the Republicans give themselves.

-- George Carlin
Grumpage

Post by Grumpage »

Thank you.
I can't say I've ever heard it mentioned in all my extensive and intimate dealings and experience over the years with the US (ie movies and TV).