Conduct unbecoming

Here's where you get off topic and off center....Keep it nice, keep it clean, no sniping, no flaming. After that, anything goes.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Grumpage

Conduct unbecoming

Post by Grumpage »

I feel I must protest a remark made to me by one of the members of this site in the thread Old World: Hebrew Script?

In trying to determine the source material for some information appearing in the thread I was told to “Go forth and multiply”.

Now, at the time I actually didn’t know what was meant by this and said so. That strikes me now as incredibly naïve. Anyway, no reply was forthcoming. It was only later that I realised what it meant and it came as something of a shock. I had not expected such a remark to be made on this web site, especially by an experienced and major contributor. Also, and not least, I fail to see what I have done to deserve it. My request for source material was not unreasonable or mischievous. In my professional experience source references are routinely made available (for obvious reasons).

For the benefit of anyone who is interested I have extracted the relevant parts of the exchange which led up to the remark. I have done this simply because they are embedded in an otherwise lengthy and complicated exchange about something else in which I was only a peripheral contributor.
Grumpage wrote:Can I cut in here and back up a bit to something Ish mentioned earlier.
Plato too was initiated into the Mysteries in Egypt, and the story told to him by Solon about Atlantis can actually be read in the original Egyptian Destruction of Mankind texts. It was an astronomical teaching story taught to initiates - and not a history lesson.

http://www.sacred-texts.com/egy/leg/leg15.htm
1. Why do you think Plato was initiated into the Mysteries in Egypt?
Ishtar wrote: This is from Plato's biographer, Thomas Taylor:

"Plato was initiated into the 'Greater Mysteries' at the age of 49. The initiation took place in one of the subterranean halls of the Great Pyramid in Egypt. The Isiaic table formed the altar, before which the Divine Plato stood and received that which was always his, but which the ceremony of the Mysteries enkindled and brought from its dormant state.

“With this ascent, after three days in the Great Hall, he was received by the Hierophant of the Pyramid (the Hierophant was seen only by those who had passed the three days, the three degrees, the three dimensions) and given verbally the Highest Esoteric Teachings, each accompanied with Its appropriate Symbol. After a further three months' sojourn in the halls of the Pyramid, the Initiate Plato was sent out into the world to do the work of the Great Order, as Pythagoras and Orpheus had been before him."

Grumpage wrote:Ish: Can you give me the exact reference please?
Ishtar wrote:Ahah... what's this I see?

Yet another demand for information from a grumpy woman on a subject upon which she professes to have no interest.

The book is called Plato, Grumpage, and it's by the 18th century NeoPlatonist Thomas Taylor:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Tay ... platonist)

Quote:

Thomas Taylor (15 May 1758 - 1 November 1835) was an English translator and Neoplatonist, the first to translate into English the complete works of Aristotle and of Plato, as well as the Orphic fragments. The texts that he used had been edited since the 16th century, but were interrupted by lacunae; Taylor's thorough understanding of the Platonists informed his suggested emendations, which, when better manuscripts have been found, were often proved just.

Hope this helps.
Grumpage wrote:Thank you, Ish, but we are not quite there yet.

Can you be more specific as I am having difficulty identifying the ref. It isn't the Works of Plato is it?

Also, can you drill down further to the volume, chapter, page no. - the usual academic type reference?

Finally, where can I look at this reference? Internet, library, Amazon?
Ishtar wrote:Go forth and multiply.
Grumpage wrote:I don’t understand
If anyone was wondering, the source material I requested is, in my opinion, extremely difficult if not virtually impossible to locate from the information given. A full reference was required.

The response was unwarranted, disrespectful and, quite simply, unpleasant.

You might have noticed the reference to “a grumpy woman” in one of the posts. The author has recently and quite bizarrely started to refer to me in the feminine gender as “she”. The use of the term “grumpy woman” presumably extends the concept. This is clearly a play on my web site name and to some it may even be considered humorous. To me, it is a further example of personal disrespect. It is offensive and immature.

Finally, concerning the issue which seems to have brought on this unpleasantness, the disclosure of source references. The quality of interest and debate in the subjects covered on this web site seemed to suggest that this should not have been a problem. I hope it is taken as a credit to this web site that I expected this kind of cooperation from its participants. An unwillingness to provide it came as a complete surprise and perhaps raises its own questions.
john

Re: Conduct unbecoming

Post by john »

Grumpage wrote:I feel I must protest a remark made to me by one of the members of this site in the thread Old World: Hebrew Script?

In trying to determine the source material for some information appearing in the thread I was told to “Go forth and multiply”.

Now, at the time I actually didn’t know what was meant by this and said so. That strikes me now as incredibly naïve. Anyway, no reply was forthcoming. It was only later that I realised what it meant and it came as something of a shock. I had not expected such a remark to be made on this web site, especially by an experienced and major contributor. Also, and not least, I fail to see what I have done to deserve it. My request for source material was not unreasonable or mischievous. In my professional experience source references are routinely made available (for obvious reasons).

For the benefit of anyone who is interested I have extracted the relevant parts of the exchange which led up to the remark. I have done this simply because they are embedded in an otherwise lengthy and complicated exchange about something else in which I was only a peripheral contributor.
Grumpage wrote:Can I cut in here and back up a bit to something Ish mentioned earlier.
Plato too was initiated into the Mysteries in Egypt, and the story told to him by Solon about Atlantis can actually be read in the original Egyptian Destruction of Mankind texts. It was an astronomical teaching story taught to initiates - and not a history lesson.

http://www.sacred-texts.com/egy/leg/leg15.htm
1. Why do you think Plato was initiated into the Mysteries in Egypt?
Ishtar wrote: This is from Plato's biographer, Thomas Taylor:

"Plato was initiated into the 'Greater Mysteries' at the age of 49. The initiation took place in one of the subterranean halls of the Great Pyramid in Egypt. The Isiaic table formed the altar, before which the Divine Plato stood and received that which was always his, but which the ceremony of the Mysteries enkindled and brought from its dormant state.

“With this ascent, after three days in the Great Hall, he was received by the Hierophant of the Pyramid (the Hierophant was seen only by those who had passed the three days, the three degrees, the three dimensions) and given verbally the Highest Esoteric Teachings, each accompanied with Its appropriate Symbol. After a further three months' sojourn in the halls of the Pyramid, the Initiate Plato was sent out into the world to do the work of the Great Order, as Pythagoras and Orpheus had been before him."

Grumpage wrote:Ish: Can you give me the exact reference please?
Ishtar wrote:Ahah... what's this I see?

Yet another demand for information from a grumpy woman on a subject upon which she professes to have no interest.

The book is called Plato, Grumpage, and it's by the 18th century NeoPlatonist Thomas Taylor:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Tay ... platonist)

Quote:

Thomas Taylor (15 May 1758 - 1 November 1835) was an English translator and Neoplatonist, the first to translate into English the complete works of Aristotle and of Plato, as well as the Orphic fragments. The texts that he used had been edited since the 16th century, but were interrupted by lacunae; Taylor's thorough understanding of the Platonists informed his suggested emendations, which, when better manuscripts have been found, were often proved just.

Hope this helps.
Grumpage wrote:Thank you, Ish, but we are not quite there yet.

Can you be more specific as I am having difficulty identifying the ref. It isn't the Works of Plato is it?

Also, can you drill down further to the volume, chapter, page no. - the usual academic type reference?

Finally, where can I look at this reference? Internet, library, Amazon?
Ishtar wrote:Go forth and multiply.
Grumpage wrote:I don’t understand
If anyone was wondering, the source material I requested is, in my opinion, extremely difficult if not virtually impossible to locate from the information given. A full reference was required.

The response was unwarranted, disrespectful and, quite simply, unpleasant.

You might have noticed the reference to “a grumpy woman” in one of the posts. The author has recently and quite bizarrely started to refer to me in the feminine gender as “she”. The use of the term “grumpy woman” presumably extends the concept. This is clearly a play on my web site name and to some it may even be considered humorous. To me, it is a further example of personal disrespect. It is offensive and immature.

Finally, concerning the issue which seems to have brought on this unpleasantness, the disclosure of source references. The quality of interest and debate in the subjects covered on this web site seemed to suggest that this should not have been a problem. I hope it is taken as a credit to this web site that I expected this kind of cooperation from its participants. An unwillingness to provide it came as a complete surprise and perhaps raises its own questions.

Grumpage -

"Keep it nice, keep it clean, no sniping, no flaming."

This from the headliner of this thread.

So I'd say you're also up to your neck in "Conduct Unbecoming."

And I'm specifically referring to the practise of sniping,

Which I would describe as the act of one-sided public outing

Of a personal problem with a forum member.

Hint: That is one of the many things

Moderators are for,

Offline.

And, by the way, one of the things I treasure

About this band of fellow travelers is

The healthy levels of black and/or gallows humor

And a certain irreverence to the Institution Known As

The Club.

In my book neither of the above fall into the categories of sniping or

Flaming, but are rather

The healthy rage of healthy minds.

Michelle - you can kick my butt online or offline if I'm off base here,
But this is my take on the issue of mutual respect
Within this forum, and, as you know,
I have sounded off on it before,

Because I have zero tolerance for the alternative.

hoka hey

john
"Man is a marvellous curiosity. When he is at his very, very best he is sort of a low-grade nickel-plated angel; at his worst he is unspeakable, unimaginable; and first and last and all the time he is a sarcasm."

Mark Twain
MichelleH
Site Admin

Post by MichelleH »

Michelle - you can kick my butt online or offline if I'm off base here,
But this is my take on the issue of mutual respect
Within this forum, and, as you know,
I have sounded off on it before,
John, Well put and not off base.
We've Got Fossils - We win ~ Lewis Black

Red meat, cheese, tobacco, and liquor...it works for me ~ Anthony Bourdain

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.
Grumpage

Post by Grumpage »

Telling someone to "Go forth and multiply" is not merely a private issue. It says something about the ethos and standards of the web site. It indicates a level of behaviour that I cannot deem acceptable. I am dismayed that it can be considered otherwise.

If the postings so far reflect what I take to be the 'official' position then clearly I am out of step with it. In that case I would be obliged if my name be withdrawn from the list of members.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

I'm on boards where people are straight-out told to "go fuck themselves" so this was pretty mild by comparison.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
john

Post by john »

Grumpage wrote:Telling someone to "Go forth and multiply" is not merely a private issue. It says something about the ethos and standards of the web site. It indicates a level of behaviour that I cannot deem acceptable. I am dismayed that it can be considered otherwise.

If the postings so far reflect what I take to be the 'official' position then clearly I am out of step with it. In that case I would be obliged if my name be withdrawn from the list of members.

Grumpage -

As the one tortoise said to the other tortoise

"Caparisons are invidious."

Your choice.

hoka hey

john
"Man is a marvellous curiosity. When he is at his very, very best he is sort of a low-grade nickel-plated angel; at his worst he is unspeakable, unimaginable; and first and last and all the time he is a sarcasm."

Mark Twain