You OK, Roy?

Here's where you get off topic and off center....Keep it nice, keep it clean, no sniping, no flaming. After that, anything goes.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Rokcet Scientist

You OK, Roy?

Post by Rokcet Scientist »

How are you coping with the frost, Roy? I understand it was -17,5ºC (0,5ºF) in Llysdinam last night.
Digit

Re: You OK, Roy?

Post by Digit »

Yep, thanks. It was no where near as cold here. If you have a map of Wales, or use google Earth,
find Cardigan on the west coast and track the A487 road north towards Aberystwyth. 4 miles north of Cardigan you will find a tiny village called Tremain, that's it! Home!

Roy.
First people deny a thing, then they belittle it, then they say it was known all along! Von Humboldt
Rokcet Scientist

Digit wrote:Yep, thanks. It was no where near as cold here.
Probably because you're on the coast.
If you have a map of Wales, or use google Earth,
find Cardigan on the west coast and track the A487 road north towards Aberystwyth. 4 miles north of Cardigan you will find a tiny village called Tremain, that's it! Home!
Cute! Which of those 15 houses is yours?

Last edited by Rokcet Scientist on Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Digit

Post by Digit »

15? Blimey, the place has grown!
You may find difficulty in seeing the place because of the trees, but here goes. The post code is SA43 1SJ, to narrow it down, on the left entering the village from Cardigan you will see a large lay-by. Move on till you see a bus shelter and lay-by on the right a few metres from the one on the left.
My place is immediately opposite. Happy hunting!

Roy.
First people deny a thing, then they belittle it, then they say it was known all along! Von Humboldt
Rokcet Scientist

Digit wrote:15? Blimey, the place has grown!
You may find difficulty in seeing the place because of the trees, but here goes. The post code is SA43 1SJ, to narrow it down, on the left entering the village from Cardigan you will see a large lay-by. Move on till you see a bus shelter and lay-by on the right a few metres from the one on the left.
My place is immediately opposite. Happy hunting!
This one?

Digit

Post by Digit »

Nope! Move further north! You see where the red dot is that says Tremain? Three houses further on.
It shows up better on street view.

Roy.
Rokcet Scientist

Digit wrote:Nope! Move further north! You see where the red dot is that says Tremain? Three houses further on.
It shows up better on street view.
That would make it this?
Digit

Post by Digit »

Getting closer! My place is the next right after the one with the car in the garden.
And despite all the rumours you can see that the sun does shine in Wales. Occasionally!

Roy.
Rokcet Scientist

I see what you mean by those trees!
Digit

Post by Digit »

Yep! Why street view bothered I'll never know! The weather is mild here, but the trees are for a wind break. if you folow the road for one mile north, on the left, you will find an airstrip.
8000/annum aircraft movements they said, rubbish I said. At this time of the year, if it isn't windy, the landing strip is obscured by sea mists, and if it is windy light aircraft wouldn't have a cat in hell's chance of getting down.
The wind speed record up there is 106mph!
We haven't had two dozen aircraft movements this year. You can tell how popular the airfield is, the landing fee for a single engined aircraft is £12.

Roy.
Rokcet Scientist

Digit wrote:Yep! Why street view bothered I'll never know!
That's easy. That's because it is a fully automated process from capture to posting. There are no humans involved, tripping any shutters at will. Just a laddy/lassy with a driver's license driving a predetermined route at careful speeds (determining the interval between captures) on a nice day. The robots do the rest and get it to my screen.
Digit

Post by Digit »

I'll blame a dumb robot then. :lol:

Roy.
Rokcet Scientist

Digit wrote:I'll blame a dumb robot then. :lol:
Be careful what you wish for... we're communicating through them! Because of them!
Digit

Post by Digit »

Yep!

Roy.
Rokcet Scientist

Digit wrote:if you folow the road for one mile north, on the left, you will find an airstrip.
8000/annum aircraft movements they said, rubbish I said. At this time of the year, if it isn't windy, the landing strip is obscured by sea mists, and if it is windy light aircraft wouldn't have a cat in hell's chance of getting down.
The wind speed record up there is 106mph!
We haven't had two dozen aircraft movements this year. You can tell how popular the airfield is, the landing fee for a single engined aircraft is £12.
So what brilliant mind conceived of an airfield there if the location is so obviously unsuitable? Why didn't they build it 40 more miles inland to improve the stats on those general flying conditions?