Tectonic Striae

Here's where you get off topic and off center....Keep it nice, keep it clean, no sniping, no flaming. After that, anything goes.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Rokcet Scientist

Re: Tectonic Striae

Post by Rokcet Scientist »

No, rather tiresome.
Digit

Post by Digit »

So is trying to make you see sense I'm afraid.

Roy.
First people deny a thing, then they belittle it, then they say it was known all along! Von Humboldt
dannan14

Post by dannan14 »

Rokcet Scientist wrote:Ever seen a mud geyser percolate? That's the small and fast version of what happens at the mid-atlantic ridge: magma, basaltic or otherwise, gets 'thrown'/pushed out and gulfs over the edge, over older material. And that thus layered crust gets pushed outward, followed by newer layered blobs. Etc. etc.
Ergo: the oldest material of the crust is furthest from its point of emergence from the mantle, and deepest. Therefore close to subduction zones.
Yes, i have. There is no comparison at all. They're not even similar. A geyser or a mud pot occurs when superheated steam rises through fissures. Since these fissures are not smooth, straight tubes, there are areas that the steam gets trapped. In those areas, pressure builds up and eventually the geyser erupts or the mud pot bubbles.

Mid-oceanic ridges do not create new crust by getting "thrown/pushed out". Magma rising up from the mantle pushes the two sides apart. These formations are over a mile thick. It is not like a river overflowing its banks and depositing a new layer of silt.
circumspice

Post by circumspice »

"Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test." ~ Robert G. Ingersoll

"Damn with faint praise, assent with civil leer, and, without sneering, teach the rest to sneer." ~ Alexander Pope
dannan14

Post by dannan14 »

RS is talking about oceanic crust, which isn't mentioned in that particular wiki article. Wiki does have several pages that cover the subject though.
Rokcet Scientist

dannan14 wrote:It is not like a river overflowing its banks and depositing a new layer of silt.
Sorry to burst your bubble, dannan, but it is to the contrary exactly "like a river overflowing its banks and depositing a new layer of silt"! It is fluid. So the laws of fluid dynamics apply. Especially if stretched out over millions and billions of years.
Compare with ice in glaciers. It flows. Even if very slowly. Magma/lava/rock is the same. Only incomparably much slower still.
But when force is applied at a perpendicular angle, like from below, those layers behave like (semi) solid matter: first they flex, then they, the hardest parts, which are at the outside, break. And bingo: there are the striae!
Dried out rubber (tyres) show(s) exactly the same surface texture.
Last edited by Rokcet Scientist on Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Digit

Post by Digit »

And thus the globe grows larger

Roy.
First people deny a thing, then they belittle it, then they say it was known all along! Von Humboldt
dannan14

Post by dannan14 »

Wow, i guess all those core samples are wrong. You should go tell them about it RS.
Rokcet Scientist

Digit wrote:And thus the globe grows larger
The distinct possibility forces itself on one as an explanation. It is probably more complex.
Digit

Post by Digit »

Congratulations RS, you have excelled yourself, you are how creating something out of nothing!
Next week it's Rabbits out of hats!

Roy.
Rokcet Scientist

Digit wrote:Congratulations RS, you have excelled yourself
Unlike you, of course.
you are how creating something out of nothing!
Next week it's Rabbits out of hats!
That's sooo last week!
Actually, I was planning a resurrection of the nephilim and anunaki. With a new twist.
Digit

Post by Digit »

Well bigger hat and pink Elephatns if you wish, but I doubt that even you can fiddle physical laws to create something from nothing. But, go on, surprise me!

Roy.
Rokcet Scientist

Digit wrote: surprise me!
Since that is neither possible, nor my goal, you'll have to find your own excitement, I'm afraid. Try coke!
Digit

Post by Digit »

I prefer Orange juice!
But I'm afraid you pet idea is impossible within a modern physical world, so you'll have to join forces with Uni and create your own rules.

Roy.
Rokcet Scientist

Digit wrote:But I'm afraid you pet idea is impossible within a modern physical world
Apparently you hadn't noticed the subject is not "within a modern physical world". FYI: whatever happened, happened billions of years ago.